Mass Exodus of the U.K

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Everyone is leaving. Companies are moving their H.Q's seemingly in droves.

People are leaving too. I'll be moving. I don't fancy staying here at all. Becoming bigoted and I'm probably going to end up even poorer if I stay. Got loads of family in New Zealand so I'll have support to find a job and eventually open my own gym.

Do any of you plan on leaving?

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Nah, being swayed by panic and fear doesn't really work for me.
    Plus I need to finish what I started here.
    At your stage of life it's different, a fresh start somewhere like that sounds pretty cool.
    It's appealing, if you make the leap then I wish you the best.

For what it's worth, whatever way this thing goes I firmly believe the rumour will be far worse than the fact.
    But only time will tell.

axelb and Shmook like this.
  3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I'd be tempted if we end up leaving the EU with no deal. Unfortunately my skillset is pretty specific to the UK, so some retraining would be necessary!

4. Pretty In Pink

What did you start that you need to finish?

The scaremongering might very well just be that, but it is getting worse. The pound is falling and it's not exactly bouncing back.

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Mainly due to being part of a business that is based here, as long as it's generating decent money - which it still is - I'll walk away from it on my own terms.
    The past few years has seen turnover and profit fall back, but still doing well enough.

I've been working towards an exit for myself, but my plans have been at least upto where I hit 55 years old which is still 7-8 years away.
    May even look to extend that to 60.

Honestly I'm pretty happy with my life based in the UK as things stand, if it ain't broke etc.
    When you build up a fair bit to lose you have to be super vigilant though.
    So for sure if things do turn sour, then my plans will certainly need modification but until then I'm looking to ride it out.

This year is looking tough, but that doesn't just apply to the UK economy.
    There's loads to consider, but the old adage carries some value here I think: the grass isn't always greener.

6. Pretty In Pink

Good stuff man. I'm glad you're doing well! I really hope your business continues along its successful tragectory! :D

cloudz likes this.
  7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm looking into it. If we no deal leave then it'll be a certainty and I'll put whatever money and time I can spare into it.

Its always been a thought for me anyway but, without getting into a long brexit rant, I just don't see a recovery for the schism this has caused. People are people wherever you go, and the UK isn't unique at all in the elements I don't like, but I'd rather deal with it in a country that doesn't anger me in a way that's borderline offensive pretty much every day.

Mitch, Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  8. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Both Texas and California wanted to secede.....Texas when Barack won the election and California when Trump ended up in the White house.......so get back to me when Cornwall and Hampshire decide to declare themselves empires:D

Sorry to hear this is an issue in England.... and not being there, and never having visited, take this with a grain of salt....I tend to agree that it is, much like it was in the case of California and Texas, a case of panic and fear with a side of moral indignation

Old bloke likes this.
  9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Eh, not really. A very few radical people in Ca. wanted to secede. Don't know about Texas. But I live in Ca. and it was not a majority opinion by any means. Not even close.

It was a stupid idea anyways for those few. We already HAD a war in America that established one does not get to secede from the Union.

Both our last and current Governor seem quite happy to be a thorn in Trump's side though! And Ca has the economic power to do so. We have a bigger economy than most countries - including the UK.
    California now the world’s 5th largest economy, beating out the UK

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm going to follow Jacob Rees-Mogg's lead, and take crashing out of the EU without a deal as an economic opportunity. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I'll be increasing the amount of income I get in dollars, in the hopes that the pound will take a massive tumble. Hopefully the housing market will crash too, then I might be able to afford one that isn't on a sink estate in Burnley.

I plan to be king of the junk heap. :D

cloudz likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I know, that is why a :D was after my post :)

I had a talk with a Rabid Californian Secessionist.... it was an rather interesting conversation...pretty much proved he had no idea what the laws were or what they would lose by secession. Texas was a little louder about it under Obama

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Actually the issue is with great Britain, not just England, (England is part of Gt Britain) , if we don't have a deal, then there will be a hard border in Ireland (Northern Ireland is part of Gt Britain) Ireland is part of the EU, which means the peace deal between the IRA and the UDA etc will be broken, which could mean hostilities may begin, also Scotland will want independance, and Wales and Cornwall whilst they voted out, used to get a tonne of money from the EU, and so will once again decline.

All the people I work with from Europe are leaving if they can, their pay in relation to the euro has dropped so much and they don't feel welcome any more.

Southpaw535 likes this.
  13. Southpaw535

Not to put words in Xue Sheng's mouth, but don't Britain's colonial friends use England interchangeably with GB?

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

They do, but many don't understand England isn't the same thing as great Britain or the UK, hell I get it confused on occasion, so the nuonce of the situation could easily get lost.

(a friend of mine from Wales who lives in New York always has great fun when americans ask him where Wales is)

And let's not even start about Cornwall technically may not even be a part of england.

Constitutional status of Cornwall - Wikipedia

Southpaw535 likes this.
  15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I admit, I had no idea. I used to use them all interchangeably.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

Essentially, Wales, Scotland Northern Ireland, and england are all seperate countries, which are bound in different ways to a greater union, which is the UK/Gt Britain (slightly different things), and also the EU, which we're leaving, but Scotland etc didn't want to leave.

But the parliament in London, is both the English parliament, and the overall British Parliament, its a bit like if the Washington federal assembly also did the Washington state goverment too.
    (does it don't that? I have no idea)

Ps apologies if any of that is wrong or unclear, I'm far from an expert.

aaradia likes this.
  17. Southpaw535

Also to add to the very good explanation, Scotland, NI and Wales also have devolved assemblies with varying amounts of autonomy. Scotland has free higher education for Scots for example, while England still has fees to go to university.

So its not just an identity thing, they do also have seperated legal powers, similar to state powers in the US I guess.

I dunno. I just wanted to join in sounding smart. I spent the best part of a semester having the difference between nation, state and nation-state hammered into me and its finally useful.

Dead_pool and aaradia like this.
  18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

For our American friends:

[​IMG]

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I won't be leaving...yet.
    I do what I do because I love my city and it's people. Some will say I'm institutionalised.
    (Fair enough lol)

But I will reconsider if someone comes up to me and says..."theres a good opportunity of stable work, good pay in Australia/NZ/HK" :D

axelb, cloudz and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I dunno what's so hard to understand?
    It's the United kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland where there are four countries (three on which hate the other one), one is called northern Ireland but it's on a different island to the three countries on the other island, each country has it's own capital but the capital of one country is also the capital of the union of countries, there's some argy-bargy about one bit of the country that is attached to whole other country called eire or something that seems to get people a bit annoyed. Some of the constituent countries of the union are also divided into counties that hate the county that is next door even though the people are essentially the same.

It's pretty straight forward.

Latikos, Southpaw535, cloudz and 3 others like this.