martial arts secrets..bleh

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Martial One, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

I am sick of all of the advertisements claiming they know the "secrets" of martial arts. I think most of you would agree that science is a major part of martial arts. although there may be things that some people dont know, that doesnt mean those things are "secret". there is no such thing as a secret science, science is a process of theory-experiment and if those theory-experiments are kept secret how can they be refined (proven/disproven)? I think its just ridiculous.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

of course there are secrets! the secrets are:

1) basics are the foundation of everything.
    2) basics done well are the secret to good martial arts
    3) training and conditioning are second only to good basics.

3. clockman75

clockman75 Banned Banned

secrets? hmmmm

"there is no such thing as a secret science, science is a process of theory-experiment and if those theory-experiments are kept secret how can they be refined (proven/disproven)? I think its just ridiculous"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you mean secret techniques when you say science.

Secret techniques, are secret for a reason. If they weren't you wouldn't even know they exist. Which is why you want to disprove them. To me it sounds like you need some more sweat time and less skeptecism time.

Martial arts can be a good sport, get involved.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

the "secrets" funnily enough seem to be the most obvious things, and only elude people who are looking for them.

5. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

there are secrets

there are lots of them...
    things that without years and years experience you would never notice or understand, which is why they are so secret :) Kind of cliche huh? You actually have to master a style to find them, its not like "poof" tadaaa the move that will kill everyone. Its a little more advanced than that

6. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

yeah, im talking about the dudes that say they will tell u the secrets for a buck lol

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Why is it that the people with these magical secrets are usually willing to put them on DVD and sell them?

Doesn't seem very secret to me :confused:

I had a famous martial arts "Master" offer to show my "secret techniques" during a private lesson once. I told them that he should keep them secret and that I was happy with just the basics" - It drove him nuts! :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  8. clockman75

clockman75 Banned Banned

Uh, I feel stupid

I don't know, I guess they think it's good buisness... the question is, has anyone applied them in real combat, or fighting?

9. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Because they worked hard their whole life, searching and searching for the truth, and they finally found it. ____Insert cliche line about how you want to make it easier for other people_______ BAM your selling 'secrets'

Duh. Easy...

10. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

I will tell you a secret.... really ;)

the secret to become a good MA ist

practice a lot !!!! :D

11. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

If they're so secret then why would they want to tell some ordanairy person who hasn't shown any devotion or desire to learn the art their special secrets to their system.
    Answer they're Obviously not secrets at all.

12. beef

beef New Member

I believe it's because the traditional culture is slowly being replaced (modernised) in China. People aren't willing to spend three months (especially in the West) just doing horse stance alone.

If the secrets - or higher levels - aren't shared than traditional martial arts will lose some of techniques if they are not written down/put on dvd to share.

So yes it's letting ordinary people learn them who otherwise wouldn't have - or face losing them all together.

I also agree that a lot of people have jumped on the secrets bandwagon and are just trying to make a quick buck out of nothing...

Plus they only relate to TMA as I don't think there aren't any in modern martial arts?

Just my (probably wrong!) opinion...

13. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Or maybe the secrets are *SO* secret that even after they tell you, they will still be secret because you cannot comprehend their secretness

14. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

LMAO.....There is no secert in martial arts, but progression......The only secert out there is.....The teacher is not showing you what you need to learn......A lot of teachers seam to keep the info for themself......Why?.....Maybe because they don't want their student to get better then them.......or.......They think their student one day will open a school down the street from them......I say BS.....If you are this kind of teacher......Then you shouldn't be teaching anyway.....Knowledge is not knowledge until you share it with others period!!!

Peace-Out,
    John

15. beef

beef New Member

LMAO very good - I can't even understand the basics let alone any higher levels lol

16. beef

beef New Member

Very true - but there are those teachers out there. The students they teach will only learn elements of the art and thus higher levels will be lost. Totally agree - it's pants.

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

You mean like the secret eyebrow death touch? Crap like that is just that. Any blows that are one shot knockout (Dillman?) types are based on nerve strikes.

18. beef

beef New Member

lol yeah like the vibrating palm technique that was on Colombo once where a guy hit another guy and he didn't die until a week later as the man planned it so he wouldn't get done for murder lmao

no not like that - just in some tma's there are *supposedly* higher level techniques that the old traditional masters taught to their favourite students. By now most of those *secrets* have probably taught but I wonder if some have been lost?

Also reading the original post again I'm just talking about *secret* techniques that weren't often taught - not secret science, which I'm not actually sure what he means by but does sound rubbish. So i think I'm agreeing with the original post - but am not too sure lol

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I do agree with that. But it really messes up the whole mystique thing some MAs have got going. Mystique sells. Common sense often doesn't.

20. mrfu

mrfu New Member

well my instructor said if he only taught me 90% of what he knew and kept 10% secret and then say i followed suite and taught 90% of that knowledge and kept 10% to myself then eventaully the art would dwindle down to no much more than a block and a punch. what is the point of years of study if you can't pass that knowledge on. aren't we doing this to progress are arts, not destroy them?