martial arts in Amsterdam Netherlands?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Guitar Nado, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

So it is very likely that soon I will be spending some time in Amsterdam. Enough time that I want to look at Martial Arts schools to study at while I am there. While there my interests involve Muay Thai/kickboxing, BJJ, Kali/FMA, Silat, JKD, and Kung Fu. I welcome any advice about places to go to (but I might not take it..:evil:).

Very near where I will be staying, is this school:

http://www.liuhemen.nl/

Also nearby is some kickboxing and BJJ at this place:
    www.jumpingfeetamsterdam.nl

There are 3 Wing Chun Schools nearby too it seems. I might be into that.

I realize that Dutch kickboxing is special, and worth checking out. So I will, at least a little bit, maybe more. Also, there is probably way more Silat in the Netherlands than I will see in my home country, so I want some of that if at all possible. I have talked about the possibility of Silat in the Netherlands to the point that even my wife is aware it is a thing, and since my wife is not at all into MA, that is saying something. She says, "aren't you looking for that Indonesian thing that they will have in the Netherlands?".

So if you have any special knowledge of Martial Arts in Amsterdam, specifically De Pijp area/neighborhood, let me know.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Congrads - how long are you going to be there? For certain, if it were I going, I'd make a point of seeing Dutch Kickboxing - it is special and unique enough to warrant devoting the time and effort.

If you arent going to be there six months, I'd say it'd be better to do one style rather than attempt a smorgasbord sampling - but that's me.

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's probably not particularly relevant, but aren't both chakuriki and mejiro both in Amsterdam?

6. Guitar Nado

Thanks for this - I read up on them a bit today. mejiro I was able to find, and it definitely looks interesting. When I search for the actual chakuriki gym (not historical stuff about it) the only think I could find was google maps showing me a place called Xena Sports - I guess it is moved there? Anyways mejiro is closer, and so that will be something for me to check out for sure.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, from what i can gather, Chakuriki closed it's doors when Thom Harinck retired, granted, Jan Plas has actually passed on, so i don't know who would be running Mejiro at the minute.

8. Guitar Nado

I'll be there 3 months if all goes well, with breaks for vacation time mixed in.
    I'm definitely planning on the Dutch kickboxing (and this thread helped with that), but I might looking in to other things based on what i think i can handle time wise (and effort wise).

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and feedback so far, I have looked at all the websites suggested as well.

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

An old training partner trains here, probably one of the biggest and most successful BJJ gyms in Holland:

http://www.marcosflexa.nl/

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Go have some fun!