Martial Arts Illustrated

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by kouryuu, Apr 12, 2011.

1. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

April edition 2011, Pete Brown of the Shinobi Kai who hasn't trained in the bujinkan or genbukan since the 80s and trained last with Captain Birdseye(hayes) in 2005 is the "last ninja" WTF hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

2. Manga

Manga Moved On

I haven't read it myself yet, I'm planning to pick up a copy on the way home if I can still find one.

Oh Kouryuu, I'm told that should have been 2006 not 2005, entirely my bad for not checking facts :(

3. Gun De Niro

Gun De Niro Valued Member

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah ahahahahahahaha

4. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

No worries, it's only a year out, just means his last attendance on any seminar was 5 years ago, as i've said in the past, Pete is a really nice guy but looking at video clips of him he is just a teacher, a bit like Mccarthy really

5. Gun De Niro

http://www.martialartsunltd.co.uk/f...ustrated/1262-peter-brown-article-in-mai.html

Q) Why was it headed 'the last ninja'? That really didnt make sense as he's not Japanese, and there are far higher qualified and experienced practitioners both in the UK and in Japan.

A) 'The Last Ninja' is what he's known as in his county, I think [pretty sure it's mentioned in the intro]

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah ahahahahahahaha

6. Manga

Manga Moved On

*checks link*

Good to see another thread turning into the usual nit-picking about the correct romanisation of "jutsu" over "jitsu." Was that really the only thing people could find to pick at in the article?

7. fundamental

fundamental Valued Member

8. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Warrior Poet

Both MAI and combat magazine seem to enjoy publishing articles and interviews with the likes of Antony Cummins, Frank Dux, Peter Brown etc but I don't recall having seen anything by a current booj practitioner, or for that matter genbukan or jinenkan.

Is this down to no one from the x-kans being interested or is it another sinister agenda I wonder.............:p

9. Manga

Manga Moved On

Who calls him 'The Last Ninja?" I seriously doubt he's known as this by the whole county. If anything it would be localised to the martial arts population and even more likely, just to a few specific and related dojo. Now, the writer of that MAI article wouldn't go and research that fact for himself so what was his source for this 'Last Ninja' title? I have.........questions.

10. Manga

Manga Moved On

Al Bundy said - "Both MAI and combat magazine seem to enjoy publishing articles and interviews with the likes of Antony Cummins, Frank Dux, Peter Brown etc but I don't recall having seen anything by a current booj practitioner, or for that matter genbukan or jinenkan."

Wasn't it MAI that used to publish that ongoing series with Brian McCarthy years ago? I forget now what it was called.

As an interesting thought, have any decent practitioners actually tried to publish articles in the mainstream magazines recently? If not, why not? The problem is this. MAI and Combat want to publish articles on ninjutsu but the quality people aren't writing anything so that gives an opening for all the fools to step forward and it gives them another place to tout their nonsense. The magazines can then say that as far as they are concerned, they have provided coverage of "ninjutsu." If people want that to stop then they need to step up and write something instead of grinding their teeth that Antony Cummins has written yet another article about furry ninjas.

Attached Files:

11. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Warrior Poet

Absolutely ages ago (and we're talking late 80's / early 90's) MAI had a serie called "Behind The Mask" which I believe was written by Jon Lish (I may be mis remembering that - it's been a while). At that time Brian McCarthys BBD org was still pretty big in the UK and Jon was one of the senior instuctors if memory serves.

There does seem to be a depressing lack of representation for the art from current higher level members. I'm wondering, as there seems to be no shortage of people wanting to post vids, write books, put on seminars etc, if it's really the case that none will submit articles to magazines.

12. Manga

Manga Moved On

Behind The Mask! That's the series I was thinking of.

13. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Obviously some people don't need to put all the hard work training with other people, like we do!!

14. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Exactly right Jakeski

15. Gun De Niro

Just out of interest has anyone got the article?

My local vendor was out.

16. Manga

Manga Moved On

I didn't manage to find a copy today either :(

Possibly tomorrow though.

17. Gun De Niro

Maybe Mark Lutman bought them all.

18. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha:D

19. K0koro

K0koro Valued Member

Behind the Mask wasnt written solely by John Lish, others wrote articles at the time, and it wasnt a BBD exclusive either.

Believe the last edition was early 90s if memory serves me.

If anyone is interested in why the article is called what it is, why not contact MAI, they may well give the reason. Im assuming that it gets people talking!!!!!!!!!!

20. Manga

Manga Moved On

Just managed to find myself a copy of the issue. I'll have a read and then give my thoughts in a little while.