Martial Arts for the Visually Impaired - Don't be put off!

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by mattsylvester, Jul 2, 2004.

1. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

This is a good article to digest when considering martial arts for the visually impaired.

Fighting Blind

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

3. mattsylvester

Good article, mind if I use it on PMA as well? I might put it into the Member's Newsletter as well as I'm sure they've been approached by people with similar problems in the past and will be again in the future!

4. GhostRider

GhostRider Student Of Life

White Wizard, thanks for the article, and thank you mattsylvestor as well. White Wizard, I know no-one knows it all when it comes to martial arts. But with your experiance and what you've heard of or read of other martial arts, how would you rate the following martial arts for the visually impaired. I ask because I hae a friend who's thinking of taking some martial arts, but doesn't know the what arts would best suit her situation, so I ask you for your quick opinion on the following arts...

.1) Aikido

.2) Wing Chun or Wing Tsun

.3) Tai Chi (either Chen or Yang)

.4) Hsing-I

.5) Baqua

.6) Ninjutsu

.7) Jujutsu

.8) Judo

P.S.~ I don't mean to put you on the spot, but if you or any other visually impaired martial artist reading this would care to throw in their two cents, I'd appreciate it very much. Thank you.

~GhostRider

5. mattsylvester

Hi all,

I would say that any art that allows you to get close and have a hold of your opponent is best.

Try this. Close your eyes, hold your right hand out and touch it with your left. Move it anywhere you like and then touch it. You can't fail to hit.

Try it on an opponent, place one hand on the back of their head (for example) and elbow to that hand. You'll be more than capable of doing a lot of damage.

Hitting pressure points will also be just as 'easy' and you can even do pad work like this.

It depends on what your friend wants to do though. Is she looking for an art for art's sake or does she want to defend herself?

She really needs to find an art that uses holds, elbows, knees, stamps and short kicks along with groundwork since anything that requires distance work most probably isn't going to be too helpful.

6. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

No problem ghostrider i don't pretend to be an expert but i have seen a bit of some of these arts.

I would say that Judo is very adaptable in this manner as it relies more on touch than sight as even blind people have been successful at Judo. Wing Chun and Aikido are also good because of their ability to use sensativity.

In the main though you usually find that everything can be adapted so give any of them a try

7. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

My mother's judo sensei was blind from birth. It's not an impairment at all in judo! In fact, he was rather well-known as the terror of the southeast in competitions for many years...
    If you are patient and more tactile-oriented with teaching judo, it is one of the easiest arts for the visually impaired to pick up.

8. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

One of my students is partially blind, she has about 20% vision and a brain disease that means she has no balance, i can't say she is the best but her efforts to try are amazing, she will not admit defeat on some things but will keep on trying and we do ninjutsu so i think thats an extra bonus on her part.

9. Zenn Ryusaki

Zenn Ryusaki New Member

I was told by many of my teachers that i am stubburn and wont give up and one example they used was my martial arts, now here is why they said that

Last August, 3 days before i went back to college, me and my older brother went fishing, now here i had a accident, my brothers lead weight got caught on a weed, i went over to help him and the weed gave way just as i got around to him, now this was a pole rod, so this was all tied to a elastic, the lead weight ended up dead bang in the center of my left eye, it happened so quick i didnt have time to react, according to my brother i stood there for like 5 seconds before dropping to the floor as if being shoot, i thought it was going to be like a poke in the eye, everything in my left eye was picth black, a buzzing sound in my ears, i was panicking... i went to the hospital and was dianosed with Catarack, i went through my 18th birthday half blind, it was hard, but i wouldnt give up on what i was dreaming to do, i was advised on skipping college for the year, but i put my foot down and said no, i took up Advance study Physical education and Advance double award business, but then came the part where the doctor said i couldnt do martial arts in this condition, i didnt listen, i still trained, alot of the moves i used to do, i found so difficult i was losing hope, but i wouldnt give up on my dream, because that is what is carring me on, now i was over the moon when the doctor told me 3 weekss later that i could have a operation to remove the lens with the cataract and have it replaced with a artifical lens, we went ahead, on the 10th of october i had my operation, and i could see, but with a draw back or two, one i cant focus my eye in which the operation was done upon and two, with one huge impact to the head, it may dislodge the new lens and i will have to have another operation to put it back, risks i am willing to take so that my life can go ahead like i plan it to...

I have the understanding anyone can do Martial arts, it doesnt matter the size, or the physical disabilities, you just not to go giving up on the things that you want to do in life