Martial arts for people with glasses

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by pachanga, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Jimmy Jitsu

Jimmy Jitsu Valued Member

Bruce Lee Was Short Sighted

I wouldn't worry too much about wearing glasses. I too am short sighted and been practising jujitsu so six months. I never got into the contact lense thing so I only wear my specs to observe the wazas. I always take them off for practice or sparring. I believe that if possible you should train without specs as if you did get into a fight your specs would be the first thing to go.

I saw a show on Uk Bravo channel and there was this blind dude who practised Kung fu.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well quite- either use contact lenses or dont use glasses. glasses will not last if you are rolling around on the floor in a fist fight.

3. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I recently started wearing contacts during training. Prior to that I always wore glasses. I'd observe a technique with my glasses on, then take them off to practice with partner. Easy. The only advice I would give is to make sure you have a good solid case to put your glasses in when you're not wearing them, and that you put it down somewhere out of the way where other students won't trip over it.

Mike

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've fought against people who usually wear glasses. Took them off for sparring. From what I could tell they didn't have much problem with fighting without glasses/contact lenses.
    I got a boot in the jewels once from one, but that was partly my fault for trying something fancy (experience taught me well)

5. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I don't buy this in a real fight your specs are the first thing to go. Okay they may get knocked off but in my experience this has never happened

6. The_Fox

The_Fox New Member

I used to wear glasses when I did Jeet Kune Do until I got punched in the face by accident and got them all bent out of shape and dug into my nose! Lol! I learnt my lesson and took them off after that! ;)

7. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

ive been in actually fights before and my glases stay up never had them get messed up. But hen again my really protctive of my face. ONe too many soccerballs hit me in teh face as a kid.But then again school yard tussels cant really be considerd a fight can they?

8. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I've had mine knocked off sometimes, not knocked off others. They are quite vulnerable in a chaotic situation when there's limbs flying everywhere.

As a bouncer I got pretty good at whipping them off quickly, popping them into a hard case and zipping that into a coat pocket before you could even say 'RUMBLE!!!!' Me taking my glasses became so synonymous with the idea that things were about to kick off any moment that bar staff, on observing me without glasses, would run and tell my fellow security colleagues that trouble was about to start.

Mike

9. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

In training you will probably need to wear contacts.

In a fight, you will have to rely on tactile sensitivity if you lose your glasses.

10. judoboxer

judoboxer New Member

yer its fine i know people who are short sighted who are good at MA. It doesnt effect them at all.

11. WhiteWizard

Another thing to note is that the vast majority of people who do wear glasses even for train have a level of eyesight that allows them to see well enough to deal with sucha panic situation of course there is the potential of the shock factor but that applies to everyone in such a situation

12. thehaggishunter

thehaggishunter Aberdeen, Scotland

I wear glasses - try to mostly wear contacts(daily disposables) for classes as the sweat make the glasses slide off my face (have an old pair for classes).

Away to the optician tomorrow for a regular check up, but going to see about these lenses that are continuous wear for 30 days - put them in, leave them in for 30 days even sleep in them - then change them after 30 days.

anyone got any experience of these ?

13. WhiteWizard

One of my friends uses these he likes them a lot and they are aparently very comfortable its worth a shot anyway

14. thehaggishunter

Got a pair to try yesterday from optician.

Put them in before assisting with a kids class - and couldnt see for about ten mins - eyes were running and bloodshot.

after ten mins though, my eyes adjusted to the new lenses and wore them through class with no probs.

Felt a bit strange going to sleep without removing them, but when i woke this morning all was fine. was a boost to get up and get moving without having to faf about with glasses.

Its early days with them, but so far - so good.

15. tomoc

tomoc Valued Member

I wear both glasses and contacts. The advantage of wearing contacts is that you get peripheral vision. The frames of glasses can block your vision from kicks that start low and outsideā€¦ such as crescent kicks.

Also, I wear frames that are flexible. I have taken several shots over the years that contacted the frames and never had any damage to them.

If you wear contacts, you should tell your instructor. If you do full contact, and get knocked unconscious, someone should inform paramedics should the need arise. This also applies to competitions.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

tomoc,

I never thought of that before (about telling the instructor about my contact lenses.) Thanks for the good advice!

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I am very shortsighted (-16) and wear contacts now all the time. I used to wear my glasses for ninjutsu when I was younger and had problems with them coming off when doing throws. When I was kickboxing I was told that if I wanted to fight I would have to wear soft lenses (at the time I could only get hard lenses in my prescription) and a couple of times I had the lense knocked out of my eye whilst sparring.

Now I am lucky and I can get soft lenses in my prescription and it does make a major differences to sports! If you don't want to wear lenses all the time but are too shortsighted to train without glasses then I would try to get a supply of disposable lenses that you only wear for training session.

18. thehaggishunter

30 day lenses - Update

Well - that the lenses been in for over a week - very impressed so far, felt wierd going to sleep with them in, but its not been a problem.

Been very easy to get used to not having to deal with finding glasses in the morning - cleaning them - or putting in / taking out the daily lenses.

have a check up on 9th Nov. will see what happens by then.

19. Jimmy Jitsu

Jimmy Jitsu Valued Member

Sports Glasses

As a short sighted MA I do not wear glasses during sparring. I have tried contacts but I could never get the things in, so I was thinking of investing in a pair of sports glasses. Has anyone ever used them and how do the stand up when taking blows.

20. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I personally don't wear the sports goggles but we do have a couple of people in my karate class who do. They have nothing but good to say about them. The only thing to watch for, so I've been told, it to make sure the bridge of the nose is rubbery and not hard plastic. Apparently that hurts if you are hit and it is harder plastic.

They seem to stand up very well, members have actually been kicked in the head and the glasses stayed put and no injury to person or damage to glasses.