Martial arts dojos in france

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

hi! i would like to know where can i learn Japanese and Brazilian martial arts in France? does anyone knows some highly recommended schools where i can learn martial arts which charges relatively cheap fees in France?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Quite a broad spectrum there friend.

If you can answer a few questions it will help get better replies.

1. In regard to the Japanese art are you looking for weapons based system, self defence, Judo, Karate etc.

2. With the Brazilian art I assume you mean BJJ?

3. Where in France are you?

4. Have you studied before, why arts from Japan or Brazil.

Welcome to MAP and good luck.

3. Sarute Uchizaki

well, the Brazilian martial arts that i would like to learn are capoeira, vale tudo and BJJ. The Japanese martial arts that i would like to learn are weapon based, hand-to-hand combat and self-defense. I'm not interested in MMA. Fyi, I live in Mauritius but in April next year i will perhaps go to France particularly Paris. I am already studying aikijutsu, aikido, shotokan karate, tai chi, kung fu. i'm also studying weapon based martial arts like kendo and bojutsu. furthermore, i would like to expand my repertoire in learning other Japanese martial arts like jujitsu, judo, kyudo and ninjutsu; Korean martial arts like TKD, taekwonkido and taekkyon; Thai martial arts like muay thai, muay boran and other forms of thai boxing; Burmese martial arts and Indian martial arts like kalaripayatthu.

4. embra

embra Valued Member

Hi Sarute Uchizaki,

I am presently living in Lille in the north of France, and travel to Paris for TaiChiChuan, as its the only place realistic for non-Silk-Pyjamas TCC that I have found.

For BJJ and Aikido, there is plenty in France. Everything e.g. dojos, in France and Belgium (very near me) shuts down in the summer, and MA training is only just getting back into realism for me now after a couple of months of training only in Paris at the weekends (usually in public parks.)

For Aikido, there are a lot of possibilities with associations based around Tamura Shihan, Christian Tissier, various Iwama teachers and others. There are alos various 'forms' of Aikijutsu around. I have been told that there may be more Aikidoka in France than Japan. I have not been to impressed with the Aikido and Aikiutsu that I found locally in Lille, but I will be visiting another dojo shortly.

There is a lot of BJJ around and I may visit a dojo with one of my collegues some time.

FMA seems to be very limited in France. I did train with a couple of French guys in a park from Inosanto Lacoste who filled me in on the setup in France. There is another teacher in Paris who teaches Inayan FMA but thats all that I know so far. There are FMA guys in Belgium, but public transport there and back is extremely difficult.

Penjak Silat and Yi Chuan are pretty big in France.

Also there is French kickboxing Savate, and French stick fighting (which has been posted here from time to time) but I dont know where.

Hope this may be of some minor help.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Holy cow, does the phrase "drinking from a fire hose" ring a bell?

Personally, I'd recommend picking a couple things that complement each other and focusing on those, instead of trying to train with a dozen methodologies from a dozen instructors at once.

And if I was moving to France, those two things would be savate and parkour. When in Paris, do as the Parisians do, right? ;)

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

And le canne:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canne_de_combat

The good thing about france is that the goverment sponsors all of the sport centres, so ALL martial arts are very very cheap to train in.

7. Dead_pool

Vale tudo is MMA, and both are really just sets of rules, not arts in themselves.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yeah, Canne is awesome.

It's also worth noting that France has possibly the world's best competitive fencing program (they're neck-and-neck with Italy for that title).

9. Dead_pool

A Gardening competition??

lols

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Har har har. No, I'm talking about who can resell stolen watches the fastest.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Karate's quite trendy in France at the moment. You'll have no problem finding a karate dojo in Paris.

12. Dead_pool

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Not meaning to be rude, but what do you mean by "studying?" Actively training in several times a week? Or something else?

I don't know if Kudo has made it to Paris yet, but that would be worth looking for. :)

Mitch

Edit: Look what I found :D
    Kudo Athletic Club, Paris, France

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Dojo name] Kudo Athletic Club
    [Country] France
    [Address] 104, RUE DE LA FOLIE-MÉRICOURT 75011 PARIS
    [Suburb] IDF, Paris
    [Oraganization/Style] KIF Kudo Daido-Juku
    [Contact / TEL.] 33-6 72 17 92 01
    [Your name] Fabien HILLAIRET
    [Web] www.kudoclub.fr

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  14. Sarute Uchizaki

what i mean by studying is learning the techniques. anyway, the kudo club does not match my requirements at all.

15. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Really??????? :confused:

Kudo covers almost all of that except for BJJ and weapons work.

PS- A lot of people here would kill to have access to a good Kudo/Daido juku club... it's ACE!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010