Martial arts and Vaping

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dan93, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

My only real vice since stopping smoking a long time ago is vaping (Mechanical RDA) and I personally have not seen any detriment to my cardio, overall health and training. Mead doesn't count...

I am curious how many people here vape alongside their training and if they have experienced any effects on their cardio?

At my last regional team training with my Bohurt organisation I noted quite a few vaping on the sidelines and the sport is pretty physically demanding.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Superb that you've stopped smoking, but vaping still contains chemicals and I wonder how well the industry is policed.

When you say vaping on the sidelines do you mean within the arena?

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Been a long time (10years) since I stopped smoking, personally had no ill effects from it.

It was at the regional training sessions, normally outside of the arena and spectator area. Its hard enough to see in some helmets without having plumes of smoke in the arena!

I was curious how many people on MAP vape and their views on if it has effected their training.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Nicotine use will have an impact on your cardiac exercise recovery, can't really escape that, it's a question of how much that effects what you do.

5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Thanks Ben,

Nicotine effecting cardio is not something I was aware of, will look at this a bit deeper. My cardio is fine but maybe that's because I am pretty active. Others who vape in my team have not mentioned cardio issues through.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Some of the fittest blokes I knew in the Paras smoked like chimneys and drank like pirates, so I'm not sure chuffing on a ciggy (electronic or otherwise) can really be an indicator of physical stamina.

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Smoking hurts your anaerobic capacity. Military training tends to be more on the aerobic side based on endurance.

8. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I don't smoke or vape, but I do sell vape stuff.

Surely it would depend on the nicotine content of the e-liquid being vaped, and the amount of time spent vaping?

I'm not sure I'd like vaping go be going on at an event like this. It might be distracting and unpleasent for those who do not smoke/vape.

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I vape a 3mg 70/30 eliquid. Not a chain vaper by any means and I don't do it in the house and at work apart from breaks. As mentioned I have not seen any detriment to my fitness but I might try a few weeks dry to try and glean a comparison. I just enjoy vaping and building coils ect which keeps my hands busy.

This was at a private training session for members only, would be bad form to do this at an event.

10. Dan Bian

Well, 3mg is quite low, and at 70/30, it's mostly vegetable glyceryn, which creates more vapour, than the pg which creates flavour.

I can't say if it will have an effect on your performance though.
    I still wouldn't do it in a training environment. Not fair on those who don't vape.

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

More of a VG user as I love cloud vapour, childish but never gets old, Never vape in the training environment, normally at the sidelines away from the action and people watching. Only thing with VG I have found is that it can leave you feeling dehydrated if overused on, say a night out when you are using it more than usual.

Might try a couple of weeks off the e-juice to see if I can see any difference in performance but I am not struggling now with cardio and fitness, but would be interesting to see if there is any improvement. Might be a little more aggressive on the field for the first week through...

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If your vaping, your replacing something that is definitely bad for you (smoking) with something that is bad for you, but no-one knows how bad.

Some people use vaping to help quite smoking, but thats only true if you quit vaping as well.

13. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

I think this is an area that is really little understood at the moment. Intuitively it seems like it would be detrimental, just less so when compared to smoking.

And judging by the range of devices, liquids etc. and the fact that a lot of them seem to be sold in some pretty low grade shops, I wouldn't be surprised to see 'Chinese black market vape contains benzene' stories floating around. Caveat emptor

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i have two worries about vaping nicotine in general....

i would worry that by vaping, the nicotine addiction keeps going. so i don't really buy the vaping helps one quit line. because in a pinch, and since the addiction is still real, tobacco will still do.

my second worry is like cigarettes, tobacco companies are free to put any "flavorings" into the compound--as has been mentioned already. we know that when it comes to cigarettes, "flavoring" can mean just about anything, like formaldehyde.

but that's just my opinion--a former pack-a-day smoker.

15. Dan Bian

With e-liquids, you can gradually ween the nicotene content down to 0% over time.

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

that makes sense dan bian.

when i decided to quit i used the same concept but a different tool, the patch. so one starts with a very large patch, then gradually smaller and smaller, until no patch.

17. Dan Bian

Exactly.

Most people I meet start at either 0.6% or 1.2% per bottle, then work down to 0.3%, then eventually 0%.

New laws coming into effect in April mean that retailers can't sell anything higher than 1.8% nicotene content, and no bottles larger than 10ml. All bottles also have to have required labelling identifying them as an addictive substance.
    So, there is a gradual degree of control being exerted over the industry (in the UK at least).

I don't even vape, myself! :D

18. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I normally vape at 3mg but do sometimes go to 0mg. Personally never had any detrimental effects apart from slight dehydration when vaping too much, I also build my own coils and wicks and find it an enjoyable thing to do when bored. Kinda more of a hobby trying to best my last build.

I personally keep away from the small convenience stores selling e-liquid as it is generally not suitable for me anyway as I look for a high VG mix, low nicotine content and pharmaceutical grade content. Some are as high as 24mg which would blow my head off in my RDTA mod.

If it effected my stamina for training I would drop it like a hot potato through.

19. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Damn a 10ml bottle would not last long at all in a high wattage unit. I normally burn at least 130w.

20. Dan Bian

Yep.
    But, there's nothing to stop you coming in and buying a hundred 10ml bottles...