Martial art weapons EDC's

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by mewtwo55555, Aug 25, 2014.

1. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

So there is a reason i don't do much with weapons in the martial arts. Because if you get in a fight you have to have the weapon with you to use it. Where I live you would get funny looks carrying a guan dao around town also you would not be able to go into certain shops and buildings with it. You might even get questioned by the police as to why you were carrying it. so that being said, what are your guy's thoughts on weapons in the martial arts? Also do you carry anything with you like a kubotan or pocket knife etc for self defense?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

In the UK you can't carry anything.

In certain arts such as FMA there is a cross over between the weapons and empty hands.

I do think there is an argument that if you carry you are more likely to get into a fight, rather than try to diffuse it using verbal means.

3. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I study Filipino arts a bit (as do many on MAP), so I think sticks are pretty fun to train. I have enough gray hair in my beard that I probably wouldn't get many questions about a cane or walking stick. I have a few. Some days I feel like I actually need one.

I'd rather have a 5" or 6" piece of cut off tree branch than a legit kubotan though. A Kubotan is recognizably a weapon - random piece of wood is for an art project if you need a reason to have it. Myself I might carry a small pocket knife, but not for self defense.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If you got into a fight there's probably whole swathes of your martial arts training you wouldn't use, never mind that it's a big if. Why discount an interesting and enjoyable aspect of training?

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

One day a female boxer challenged a Kung Fu girl, the Kung Fu girl accepted. During the "high noon" time, the female boxer brought her boxing gloves,

[​IMG]

the Kung Fu girl brought her Guan Dao.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I carry a weapon all the time because "my lethal weapon is my mind" (ice-T - Lethal Weapon)

Bad jokes aside. Nope, I don't. Obviously I have things that can be used as weapons if I improvise, but I don't carry anything that is classed as a weapon.

I quite honestly don't think I need to and if I needed to, I couldn't carry due to the laws.

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm learning the Taiji sabre form at the moment. I think the chances of me ever needing to use a sabre in a real fight are pretty slim. But it's enjoyable to learn, and the main reason we still learn to use an obsolete weapon is because it actually helps us with our 'empty hand' stuff.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

When I lived in a bad area, I use to carry an umbrella (I had fair reason to be nervous). Nobody can complain about an umbrella, especially in Scotland ;D

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I never carry a weapon, although i often have tools on my person such as knives, guns, batons, hockey stick, walking cane, dog leash, hot cup of cofee etc...

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That's where the big pockets come in handy, right? ;)

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I only carry tools that are legal and with good reason.

In most circumstances a small bright torch is much more use then a 10 inch survival blade.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I always have my "spikes ring" on my finger. Even today, I still don't know whether a cop may stop me on the street from wearing it or not. Of course I can always twist the ring and hide the spikes inside my hand most of the time.

Does anybody know anything about the legal issue to have a "spikes ring" on your finger when you walk on the street?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  13. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I have an assortment of tools I keep on my persons or in my vicinity at all times, and training in improvised weaponry when I don't. Furthermore, I know the theory behind rudimentary weapon as a vehicle tactics.

14. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

It's legal to carry a handgun here so I do. With it goes a folding knife, a small fixed blade knife and a flashlight.

I use the flashlight the most by far, with the knives coming in a close second. And none of them have been used in a fight. While I have had cause to clear my house a couple of times I'll usually take the rifle for that, so it doesn't mean much for EDC.

If you're in a high risk profession (or area) I'd think about a vest and personalized trauma first aid kit as well. I've heard of people carrying a tourniquet, quickclot gauze and an occlusive bandage in an ankle rig before. Add an epipen if you have any serious allergies. Maybe any pertinent info (blood type, medicine allergies, who to call) stowed somewhere for paramedics to find.

You could apply the same principle to your car. Maybe throw some emergency water and food in a backpack, tools to fit the common parts on your car, fix-a-flat, flares, flashlight, emergency radio, full on trauma kit for accidents you may happen upon (obviously this will be dictated by your first aid experience and training). You can really go crazy with a car pack since you don't need to carry it. Just consider the heat extremes it'd be exposed to.

Really, you can go very very minimal or very very overboard depending on your needs and the local laws.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  15. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I keep a first aid kit, ace bandage, various braces, water, food, flashlight, various tools, and often my martial arts weapons in the car (and have used them before). On me is usually just my hands, and my medicine bag (syringes would make a pretty nasty weapon thinking about it....)

16. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I carry lots of tools on my person as well. All legally of course. While I may have a firearm on me as well as a folding knife and a flashlight. What I invariably utilize the most is the folding knife to open boxes and all the assorted difficult packaging that is utilized now a days. That benchmade griptillian comes in very handy.

I would add that my flashlight has saved my bacon on more than a few occasions and especially when the family and I were at the Grand Canyon. We went into one of there restaurants on the rim when it was light but when we came out it was pitch black with literally no lights on the rim. Without my flashlight I am sure one of us would have fallen in on our way to the hotel!

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Do people have a prefered flashlight?

Ive a few cheap 9led style ones for home and car, but I carry on me a small ledlenser p5 which can blind people 6foot away at night and is only slightly smaller then the AAA battery it takes.

18. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Streamlight always gets good reviews. The model depends on what you'd use it for. High power up close, long distance illumination, compact size, long run time... you can specialize it quite a bit.

19. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

20. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Do the Streamlight Pro Tacs drain their lithium ion batteries noticeably when turned off but left on their high lumen settings?

(I'm thinking of picking up a ProTac HL3.)