Martial Art Suggestion

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MikeMJH, Nov 11, 2003.

1. MikeMJH

MikeMJH New Member

Hello,

I took Tae Kwon Do as a young child for about three years; alas it faded as I grew a bit older.

However now I am wanting to study and train a martial art again. I am looking for a swordsmanship art. I have watched and studied into Kendo, but I don't particulary like the style. If any of you have suggestions I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

2. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Iaido is great for Katana, wushu also good if you want to learn chinese straight sword, broadsword, staff etc. Yeah kendo is a sport, they dont use katana right. Kendo snap into there cut which is stupid with a live blade, a perfect cut should be a complete crecent. Heres my sensei's site which give you a bit about iaido, and what we do. www.iaido.org

3. MikeMJH

MikeMJH New Member

Yeah, thanks. This looks good. Hopefully there's a dojo around my area.

And about Kendo, it just looked like they were hitting eachother in the head with bokken ;).

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Don't know about swords but sticks are good. Try Eskrima.

5. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

They use shinai, they arent solid like a bokken but rather made out of 4 bamboo slats. They're designed to collapse when they make contact absorbing alot of the energy. You're also not suppose to hit hard, just very quickly.

I love iaido myself, as a minimalist it suites me well. One breath, One cut, One victory. I also like kenjutsu and kendo takes a good portion of kenjutsu and applies it to sport. Making it close to the only practical use you will ever have for studying it, next to enjoyment of course.

valid Kendo targets are the head, hands/forearm, chest and sometimes neck. They are all pretty well protected with armor but sometimes and errant attack can cause a good sting :).

6. MikeMJH

MikeMJH New Member

Yeah, I've done a little research on Iaido and it sounds interesting. I'm going to look up a dojo near me and give it a go.

Of course I'm still open to suggestions :)

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003