Martial Art Of Aikido - Training

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by koyo, Aug 3, 2006.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

See my above post. This thread is good in that it appears that some are reading the other posts deeply before posting a reply. Rather than the tendancy to "prove a point".

I do know that both Rebel and I have taken something from our exchanges and actually studied them on the mat to our mutual benefit.

Approached in this manner exchanges can be good.

regards koyo

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Indeed, I myself will generally not engage in a lengthy discussion on how techniques or principles should be applied simply because opinions vary as much as aikido its self thus, I find those who try to verbally articulate their methodology on others as 'the way to do things' often come across (to me anyway) as arrogant.

The internet is a wonderful and powerful tool however as much as an educational positive, it can also be a negative; I firmly advocate that once a student finds the teacher of their choice, they should follow their teacher's way establishing a firm understanding before that understanding in widened to other methods. I'm certainly not advocating a blinkered approach but a clearly defined approach (the way of their teacher) and this is exemplified in shu-ha-ri.

Shu Ha Ri are three kanji which describe the cycle of training, or perhaps more properly the cycle of progress of a student in a martial art.

"Shu" The student builds the technical foundation of the art. Shu also implies a loyalty or persistence in a single Ryu or, in the modern interpretation, a single instructor.

"Ha" To detach; the student breaks free from the traditions of the Ryu to some extent, the student must reflect on the meaning and purpose of everything that has been learned and thus come to a deeper understanding of the art than pure repetitive practice can allow.

"Ri" To go beyond or transcend, the student is no longer a student in the normal sense, but a practitioner. The practitioner must think originally and develop from background knowledge original thoughts about the art and test them against the reality of his or her background knowledge and conclusions as well as the demands of everyday life.

3. koyo

As far as learning something of values from a post. I would put this forward. At the next training session tell you partner to strike hard and fast and RETAIN his balance. Or if at anytime he sees an opening in your technique to counter.

Take this to the next session and judge for yourself.Post your findings.

regards koyo

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Couldn't agree more. Why weren't you all at the South Of England MAP Meet this weekend :p Personally I had a great time. :D Though after having been out of training for a while I paid for it with parts falling off all over. Well that's what it felt like anyway. I'm still smiling though :D

Interestingly the Aiki-Jutsu techniques were more familiar than the Aikido techniques. Not that the Aikido was bad (well maybe mine was :p ), it just felt so different. Has anybody else experienced this? Was anybody at the meet ? :D

5. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Hmm, I really don't know if I should resurrect a year-old thread, but an interesting saying flashed through my mind today and it seemed more fitting to post it here than to start a new thread for it. "Aikido is an art for those in harmony with the warrior side of their spirits." :D

6. koyo

In my early training I was told attack at all times. This took the form of my attacking japanese shihan who possesed almost impenatrable kamae. Everytime I attacked I was bounced.
    However here was the "warrior" spirit you speak of. The ability to keep going, everytime you are knocked down you rise again.

As you toughen up and begin to understand timing distancing and unbalancing (by having experienced their effect) your attacks become more and more effective.

Warrior spirit can be defined as ki. Providing this does NOT carry any mystical conotations it is simply intent and fighting spirit which is built up through dedicated pragmatic training.

You may be in "harmony" with your fighting spirit (aware of it) however we must clearly understand that technically we use awase blending we must avoid harmony (aiki wo hazuso) avoid aiki do NOT move in the same space and time of the attacker. Understanding aiki allows you to use awase to disrupt the timing distancing and fighting spirit of your opponent often pre-empting his attacks.

Elswhere there have been questions on breathing in aikido and how does this relate to ki.
    KI is fighting spirit and breathing naturally while under stress is proper breathing.(keep your head and take his...ooops!!):evil:

Warrior spirit is to stand when you must and do so with courage.

regards koyo

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  7. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Very interesting and informative post, koyo, thanks. In fact, I'm tempted to add it to the wikipedia article on aikido. :) I'm afraid it might just get deleted if I did though? :(

8. koyo

LIke all posts..investigate it for yourself and use it if you find it effective.

regards koyo

9. Blast

Blast Valued Member

This is a great thread with a lot of very interesting and informative posts. Unfortunately for me there are too much posts to read at the moment...

Maybe I don't have enough aikido experience or my English is getting worse, but I don't really understand the part where you explain the harmony and fighting spirit thing. Also, what's awase? I thought aiki is good to use, but maybe this means something different to me.

You move when your opponent/partner moves. You blend with him. You take him with you (or a her). That's basically what ai means to me when fighting or practising.

Now ki: some lessons are really intense and make you sweat a lot. In these lessons I try to breath properly (into my stomach, my centre) and it helps. We just keep on going, one attack and technique after another. Although, I'm physically exhausted, I don't have problems to keep on training. The ki might be the fighting spirit to keep on going.

(don't think because I'm exhausted I have a bad condition, because that's simply not true).

These are some of my thoughts I just wrote down. Tell me what you think about them.

Koyo, this is another one of your very good posts. Keep up the good work!

10. koyo

Awase is to blend with the attacker with the intention of using understanding of his movement to break his timing. Blending can mean moving faster and therby taking control . This is also done in distancing suddenly moving in on him as he approaches .
    If he is timid or uncertain you blend by attacking powerfully.

Aiki is harmony and the way we live our lives. Awase is to take control..the way,if we must, fight.It is sometimes called "fitting in" example below against a kcking attack I move faster into a stronger position from which to attack. It also displays enten jizai. Attack and defence are one in that the movement to defend is also the movement that attacks.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008