Martial art beside

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Mohammad, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

hello there
    Hope you are all great

Here,i am asking about which martial art can I exercise beside aikido to achieve a complete way for perfect self defense with strongest styles

Thanks

Waiting for your advices

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

There's no perfect self defence, but if you're looking for ones with great track records of developing people that really know what they're doing, try BJJ, MMA, Muay Thai, Judo and boxing. Not necessarily all of them, of course!

Aikido likely wouldn't be my first suggestion for top quality self defence. I know this wasn't what you asked, but the quality control in aikido can be very low indeed, so the chances of getting good at fighting in an aikido school are fairly low..

Hannibal and axelb like this.
  3. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Thanks for the great advice

I'm 35 years old

Which style maybe suitable for me??

I tried aikido because it requires no age limit and acceptable fitness

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It’s also highly stylized and largely impractical without a solid support system

It’s a great art and one I am fond of, but if self Defense is your prime concern I would list it very low as an option

5. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Thanks for the reply

So,any advices about the solid support system??

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Boxing, Muay Thai for two suggestions....BJJ or wrestling for two more

But the problem is that you end up with a “stone soup” whereby those systems become more primary and the Aikido becomes supplemental

axelb likes this.
  7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

As an aikido guy who has tried other things -- I generally agree with Hannibal's assessment, but my list would be boxing, judo, and kendo. And maybe karate, too. Boxing teaches you how to actually punch (and how to slip the other guy's punch) and teaches you what the aikido guys mean when they say turn the hips. Power really is in the hips! Karate will teach you the same thing, but I think boxing is a faster path. Judo teaches you how to take the other guy's balance -- and that's the only way aikido throws work. Kendo was never intended to be a self-defense martial art per se, but those guys are very fast and they hit very hard, and most of aikido is patterned after Japanese sword fighting, so if you understand some kendo, you'll understand aikido better. And you'll learn to be fast!

Pretty In Pink and axelb like this.
  8. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

I agree with bjj or judo,it's ok
    But the problem here is " should my age and fitness help me to begin any of these tracks?"

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nah, any good place should be aware of any physical limitations you may have. Don't worry about it.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Judo after 35 with little fitness and no experience you are going to end up injured bjj or even mma would be better

11. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

I started BJJ at 52 - five years later I'm doing just fine. (I did some hooter arts, including aikido, when I was young). Judo requires you to take some heavy impacts - I'd probably suggest BJJ is more suitable if you're older, and you'll learn some of the judo throws anyway.

axelb likes this.
  12. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

"hooter" was typed as "other" but the forum changed it...

hewho and Thomas like this.