Marines teaching Womens Self-defence.Lord Help Us

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Ressla, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Punch-Kik-Choke

Punch-Kik-Choke Banned Banned

Actually in several studies most of the onlookers did absolutely nothing.

it's called "bystander apathy".

PS: So far I've seem the most impractical useless BS ever in so called "womens self defense" classes.

Usually this is just like mens self defense, except really really stupid.

Soft training.

"leathal nut kicking techniques"

"NO! BACK! STOP!

Flame away :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  2. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Sorry, have to disagree on that one. In some instances it would be better to comply with the assailants demands to prevent further escalation of the situation. A robbery for example... no need risking your life by trying to kick a knife wielding robber in the nuts, when you can just give him your wallet and be on your separate ways.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  3. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

I think Leo was referring to situations where a woman is attacked for sexual and/or violent reasons. I agree in a robbery its always better to let the attacker have your valuables rather than risk injury.

However there is a general accepted theory that you never let an attacker take you from Crime Scene 1 to Crime Scene 2.

eg Somebody pulls a knife on you in a car park (Crime scene 1).
    Then tries to drag you into a car to drive away to somewhere else (Crime scene 2)
    Lots of research in America has shown that if you go along with the attacker to crime scene 2 you will probably end up dead.
    Only criminals with extremely bad intentions go to the trouble of taking their victim far away from the original scene of crime.

4. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Just one question, Jesh. If four of the biggest, nastiest gays guys in the world were right outside your door waiting to sodomize you would you let them?

5. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I assume the bit where he said "Sometimes" you ignored, right?

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Not at all. Just trying to establish the parameters of his guidelines.

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

That would be an entirely different situation from a robbery. In that case there is no other option than fight for your life (and your behind for that matter... :D).

8. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

The above seems IMHO to assume these 'marines' are men. This may be wrong.

Secondly, the Greater Manchester Police are not typical of UK police authorities, several of which refuse to support any physical SD training courses of short duration. I've heard various reasons why, but the one which seems prevalent runs like this:
    After a few dozen hours of training, the women are so pumped up by their instructors that they think they are equipped to defend themselves on the street. They assume this because the course leads them to believe it. It is probably false confidence which will evaporate and/or cause them to receive even greater male violence. There is also the possibility that any police support may involve them in litigation if there is a dojo or street injury.

A possible consequence of over-confidence combined with poor training is that they fight back and get killed/maimed rather than run or submit to rape or mugging etc. - a tough choice, but not entirely restricted to women.

Personally, I think all parties are guilty of generalisation (me too??). I know BB women AND men who would be emotionally incapable of defence in a street fight. I know of women who have absorbed a few basic SD skill who have used them very effectively and fought off a street attacker because of their mental toughness and good physical 'memory'. We are all individuals so it's very hard to generalise about ANY system of training.

That said, I've taught a course of 10 weeks (20 hours) which has shown good results, but am convinced that it's the mental attitude that counts most, and that takes a long time to develop if it isn't there already. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  9. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

Don't be too quick to judge the teaching of Marines Martial Arts. Of course the speeds will be slow, of course the contact will be controlled, and of course the movements will seem unrealistic. In basic training, it's basics, fundamentals, building blocks. It's a martial arts program. If the ladies wanted to become hand to hand killers immediately, they should've joined a boxing club.

I'm a male, and hold my tan belt in Marine Corps Martial Arts. My drill instructors pointed out from Day 1 of MCMAP that the moves taught aren't expected to work out like a blueprint (there's no such thing), but give good ideas of how to fight unarmed. For example, the laws of physics won't prevent you from headbutting a person in the nose while they hold you from behind, scraping their shins with your heel, and then applying a counter to a bear hug just well enough to get you out of the hold.

A good thing about how MCMAP was taught is that we were encouraged to get mad and hit harder outside our comfort zones. Sore muscles, bruises and strains were commonplace in basic training for me, simply because I didn't put up with my partner hitting like a Little Sister and my drill instructors made sure I didn't hit soft myself. And that's what half the battle is...mindset, aggressiveness.