Marine Conditioning

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MATT_LIQUID, Oct 26, 2002.

1. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

I thought i d post this thread about my training. As I said in previous threads 'I m joining marines'. I have about a year or so to train so heres my current training:

Sunday- Arms (weights, bi and triceps)

Monday- 6 mile run, shoulders and 10 sets of 24 push ups(I do
    push upps 3 times a week attempting to move up 1 rep)

Tuesday- abs

Wednesday- 5 mile run, arms.

thursday- 3 mile run,back

Friday- rest

Satuarday- 3 mile run, arms.

every 6 weeks i have a week off

I will soon be doing Ju Jitsu mon, wed

I have been running for about a month and lifting weights for about a year. With this training split do u think i ll be able to get in the marines?

What would u change about my split?

What is your split?

Peace Out

Matt

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

chill out matt...u r just working fine...i don't even go this much...
    hate running. i hav only one ab pack left now :p tho i had 6 once :(
    practice my forms, techniques, qigong everything takes around 3-4 hrs...that's it... no day off...m so much lazy that why i get into Taiji :D :p i hav been improving in taiji need proof... starting to get pot belly :D... j/k...
    -TkdWarrior-

3. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

running is a brill exercise but there are bad points about it:

takes loadsa effort.

have to go without food in u r belly 4 about 4-5 hours b4 run.

loose weight, which realy suks.
    ...................................................................................................

What is taiji?

4. Jim

Jim New Member

Taiji = Tai Chi

Matt, run every day - or at least 6/7 days. Did you include swimming in your regime? It's usual to do a 5km (3 mile?) run for 5 days and a sprint of 2km (1 mile?) one day, as long as the sprint isn't on the last day before your rest day.

Include chin ups with your arm work.

Two things also, have a look at what is required and recommended in joining, and if you're finding the training too full on ease up on it. Build yourself up slowly.

How are you in groups? Remember with this army unit, teammanship is king. One in, all in!

5. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

thnx 4 the advise bor i ll take it into conciseration :)

6. Jim

Jim New Member

I see you've also signed into budoseek, there are some really good guys & girls there and many are currently military. Put a post in there about your intentions and I'm sure you'll get bags of advice & support!

7. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

thnx again jim.

8. WillHeath

WillHeath New Member

Dude the poeple in thmarines and army and stuff do like sets of 50 push-ups and 5 mile runs like everyday and swimming and stuff like that all the time so you need to pump it up some like make the push ups more in sets like 40 or somethin' then do some more weights and run all the time unstead of like three times a week in the Marines there is no one day breaks on Friday you deffinantly need to pump it up somethin' feirce because if you don't the marinhes will chew you up and spit you out I'm serios when I say you need to do alot more in bigger sets

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Big weights don't matter for military training, its all about being able to maove your own body weight and that of your equipment (normally 60lb pack), so the fitness has more to do with CV.

Once you can do your runs quite easily, try it with a pack on.

p.s sets of 50 push ups are easy ;)

10. Jim

Jim New Member

I haven't done a search on 45 Royal Marines so I'm not sure about the requirements. When I joined up (the unit I was in was a brother unit to 45RM and we often had an exchange program) the entry requirements were 50 push ups, 100 sit ups, 15 chin ups, a 5km run in less than 23 minutes and a swim test with clothing - that was just to get in, then the real 'weeding out' started.

You should see if you can find out what the requirements are and use them as a base to build on.

What FF is saying is very true. If you run with a pack (and try also with weights in your hands) you find out what 'chaffing' means!