Marijuana in Martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kuroshinobi, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's come from the fact that resin was the main type of weed smoked here so you need tobacco. Now all the bush is skunk and everyone still uses the 3 papers the habit has carried over. Burns better as well.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah you probably are. While companies do a fair bit of covering their asses... they are probably far more likely to be worried about an employee in a position that could be potentially dangerous screwing up because he's stoned on dope or high on something or other. Often times it will have to do with what trade it is and what their insurance policy is. Drug testing probably helps them to avoid liability in certain cases.

Last thing you want in most positions where you have the potential to get hurt by machinery or have something massive dropped on you or any of the millions of ways you can get hurt in the industrial world... is have to work with someone who is stoned on whatever.

If they want to do whatever as recreation then fine... but if they show up to work stoned or test positive when they know what the rules of the job are. Can their ass. It's work... not playtime.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

You maybe incorrect.

Companies are governed by insurance and what their insurance dictates.

It is a issue of liability and law suit.

Simply, if someone caused a on-the-job mishap, the company's insurance would pay out provided that said person was not under any chemical influence.

A company and the insurance company are trying to cover themselves.

4. Shawn (Xiao en)

Shawn (Xiao en) Valued Member

Here's is what I believe on this subject. I do believe marijuana is one of the most harmless drugs out there, but people smoke either because everyone they know smokes it or have smoked it, or they fool themselves into thinking they need it.

Its not habit forming, nor deadly. But it does affect people in different ways. One person can smoke something and write a hit record that makes them a million dollars, or another person could smoke something and lose their house keys everyday.

I don't smoke it. I won't for fear of it inhabiting my breathing, in which I huff and puff when practicing, and even more so I simply don't NEED it. Its illegal, expensive, and pointless. I don't need to smoke. No one of decent health really does. But people do, and will continue to.

As for a student of martial arts, of whatever discipline, he/she should really think if smoking this can really harm his/her body, as in slowing down his/her reaction time or inhabiting his/her breathing. The mastery of martial arts is more important than smoking a few buds right?

5. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Common Sense

Marijuana was first used as medicine in, China around 2000 B.C. It is one of if not the, most popular recreational drug on the planet. It was made illegal to help keep the paper industry from dying because hemp was cheaper to grow, and more versatile. Making marijuana illegal also made it easier for certain ethnic groups to be persecuted and controlled. Many of the "horrible truths" about marijuana were manufactured and perpetuated simply to keep it illegal. Today marijuana is still illegal in many parts of the world because of money and nothing more. There is far too much money being made by law enforcement and criminals for either side to allow things to change.

If you're stupid and lazy, marijuana will only make this more obvious. Marijuana will not make you stupid and lazy.

I've known people who have smoked marijuana for years, and unless they told you, you'd never know. They're all successful and many have kids (their kids don't do any drugs btw). I also know people who smoke who should not because they can't get out of their own way when they're straight. It's just worse when they're stoned.

It's not what you do, it's how you do it. Responsibility and moderation are key. Saying that drugs, alcohol, or any other inanimate substance ruined your life is like saying that it's food's fault you're fat. No, you're fat because you use food in an irresponsible and self destructive manner. Just because you have no will power at the buffet doesn't mean we need to outlaw buffets to "combat addiction and save the children". Instead people should start taking responsibility for themselves and quit putting the blame for their problem on anyone or anything other than themselves.

Don't hand me the "would you want someone high to do this or that for you?" argument either. There are billions of people walking around legally high on man made pharmaceuticals while I'm typing this. Judges, police officers, doctors, and all kinds of other professionals take their legal prescriptions for, Prozac, Xanax, Valium, etc. and go to work every day. Each of these legal drugs alters the user's brain and perception of reality. Each of these legal drugs can be misused as a form of recreation. Each of these legal drugs also carry a high possibility for addiction. In addition, the side effects of these drugs are at times worse than the conditions they are supposedly treating. Try making them illegal and watch what happens. Anyone remember alcohol and, Prohibition?

Now that I'm done ranting, I'll address the OP. lol

There are many amateur athletes that take various drugs and supplements to optimize the effectiveness of their workouts and enhance their performance. It's another multi-billion dollar industry. If a substance helps you, use it. If it doesn't, don't use it. That's just common sense.

In case you're wondering...I have inhaled. It makes me sleepy. For personal, legal, and professional reasons I do not do so now. That doesn't mean that I think marijuana should be illegal. I think it should be put in the class of legal vices as, caffeine, tobacco or alcohol. Addiction is a human mental problem, not a substance based problem. :hat:

6. Moi

I haven't had a spliff today :)

7. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Freedom Of Choice

Neither did I. I also didn't drink any alcohol, or smoke any tobacco. I did however use caffeine, alpha lipoic acid, L-Carnitine ginseng, eleuthero, DHEA, a Chinese herbal medicine called, Chen Li pills, a liquid multi-vitamin, and ibuprofen. Each of these has the potential to be harmful if misused or abused. Yet, I have the freedom to buy and use all of them. I also have the freedom not to use any of them. It's the freedom of choice I'm in favor of. Banning one "drug" and allowing others is silly logic. As I said earlier, addiction is a human mental problem, not a substance problem. Until the way the problem is viewed changes, debates like this will continue...and nothing will change.

Also, it's a good thing that the people who didn't drink voted to repeal Prohibition too, or alcohol might still be illegal. :hat:

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Well done. Hope you can keep that going :)

Mitch

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Only drugs I have had today were caffeine, endorphins and my gastro resist (prescribed).

10. Moi

The difference is it's the first time in 12 years I chose not to. 12 years ago I gave up for a week. Before that I was 12 or 13. Big deal for me.

11. 47MartialMan

Where is this documented? :rolleyes:

(This is not meant to cast doubt, but looking for some information per)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  12. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

Roll it, lick it, spark it, smoke it. Now that's kung fu when your already wasted unless you've done it thousands of time, it will come as second nature.

We rarely smoked joints, always seemed like a waste. The bong was the weapon of choice.

13. 47MartialMan

A bong was/is a "weapon"?

14. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Yes. It's a stick weapon.

15. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Research

2727 BC
    First recorded use of cannabis as medicine in Chinese pharmacopoeia.

"This Medicine Works"
    Dean Adell, M.D., ABC-TV Medical Advisor

The History Channel did a great series, "Hooked: Illegal Drugs & How They Got That Way". Most of what I said in the first paragraph of my earlier post came from what I learned watching the segment on marijuana.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Here is the best argument ever for reasons why NOT to smoke weed eg. girl on about vegetables that get frozen last forever.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dChBN_zfofY&feature=player_embedded#"]ORIGINAL Santa Cruz Girl video - YouTube[/ame]!

Ironically... it's also one of the best arguments FOR smoking weed... eg. man about have aneurysm while raving that city planning commission is the Gestapo.

ROTFLMAO!!!

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

:D just about sums it up
    Not that I need any more persuading. All you need to do is go off the weed for a while (which I had to, doctor's orders, besides I stopped smoking tobacco, so I didn't want to smoke anything) and listen to the crap that your friends have started talking. It was a wake up call.

18. 47MartialMan

:hat:

But it is hollow

19. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Funny Stuff

Nice link Slip. :hat:

20. iammartialarts

iammartialarts Banned Banned

bruce lee at brownies!! lol