Marijuana in Martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kuroshinobi, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Kuroshinobi

Kuroshinobi Banned Banned

Usually I'd say I'm totally against the idea of smoking pot and doing martial arts. Not only because it's illegal. But it doesn't seem like the athletic thing to do. But having come to find out that icons in the martial arts world like Bruce Lee and Eddie Bravo are smoking pot(or was smoking pot).
    I'm starting to guess that I guess smoking pot isn't as bad as I thought it would be for athletic conditioning. If you have strong advocate of smoking pot beating someone like Royler Gracie... I'm thinking... How in the world can you fill your lungs up with smoke and be high all the time. And still be conditioned enough to last in competition.

So what does everyone else think on this?
    Am I overreacting for thinking smoking pot isn't good for athleticism/martial arts?

Or do you think it's correct that smoking pot doesn't go hand in hand with being an athlete/martial artist?

This is just something that popped in my head on the way home from work.
    Decided to get others opinion.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I don't personally smoke pot, but neither do I have any issue with someone who does. The majority of people I know who smoke pot certainly aren't high all the time, but are instead occasional users who do it just to relax.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they're not high when they train with me, they can smoke all they want.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't pot mixed with ordinary tobacco when smoking?
    Surely smoking is stupid on it's own, let alone mixed with pot.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Generally yes, which IMO makes it just as dangerous as smoking.

5. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Smoking (anything) is not good for your aerobic capacity. I think you have to keep your smoking levels rather low to avoid noticing a difference.

Mike

6. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Mixed with tobacco?, only if ya want to make it last longer LOL..

Interesting story in early times of Arabic assasin's. Around the time of the crusades or something, anyway they would get wasted on Hashish and then zone into their missions fully, something lke that.

Thats the use you see, total focus on directive, if B.Lee choofed buds then that was what for, total concentration on his endeavor, not to relax and look for munchies in an hour :)

Some people smoke buds and get lazy, some get hypo activated etc.

7. pecks

pecks Valued Member

I think Bruce ate it, can't imagine he wanted to screw up his lungs.
    and yeah, I guess moderation would be the key. personally, I don't drink alcohol all the time, but I don't think the odd Guinness messes with my training too much.

8. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

No it wouldnt mess with your training just your liver :)
    LOL, im sure you drink in moderation mate just joking.
    Hey, thats right he chewed on leafes occasionaly, Imagine him on a potent dope cookie... LOOKOUT Lmao :)

9. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Pot and DVD training programs should go well together.

Hell, throw in a bag of Cheetos and you're set!

10. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

Hm. In all the time I smoked (past tense) I've never known anyone to mix it with tobacco. Also haven't heard of Lee smoking, but whatever.

11. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

I wouldnt suggest DVD training, nor pot for that matter.

Although if you are allready an accomplished m/artist and are looking to suppliment your training then there are some reasonable dvd's out there. Not for beginers though stephenk.

12. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

As others have said, smoking anything is bad for you. However, using marijuana in cooking gives you the same effects without the negatives of smoking.

I see no difference between people enjoying alcohol and people enjoying marijuana. Except that alcohol has physical dependency issues and is more damaging to the body.

13. flo0d

flo0d Dingo

The only good thing I could see with smoking pot is that it can help you have moments of 'enlightenment', which could lead to a deeper understanding of the MA philosophically.

peace

14. Kuroshinobi

Kuroshinobi Banned Banned

I think Robert Baker talked about how Bruce Lee smoked marijuana in an interview. Been awhile since i've read up on Bruce lee i'd have to check again.

15. pecks

pecks Valued Member

It's most common to mix it with tobacco in Britain. However, I know that in America they never do this, so I guess it varies.

16. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

They say that the word assassin comes from the word "ashshāshīn," which translates to users of grass.

They also were known to use opiates to initiate new assassins by having them wake up in "heaven" surrounded by beautiful, skilled ;) women. When the new guy would pass out, they'd show him hell :evil: and asked them which place they prefered to go to after they died. I hope McDojo's don't bring back this practice.

17. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Yeah, thats it
    (burble burble burble-inhale)

thats right man, well done
    (cough,coughcough-exhale)

What were we talking about again?

Hey man, did someone say they were goin to macca's, spot me a couple a burgers man?

:)

18. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Trying to train whilst mashed is not fun (i WAS young and stupid once), your muscles will not want to behave and desire is lacking.

However i will say that due to the wide variety of pot that exists with different effects coupled with an individuals own metabolism and mentality means that taking pot and being a MA are not necessarily a bad thing. Just not at the same time. I would not feel comfortable training with someone whom was high any more than someone who was drunk. In their own time they can shove whatever they want in them (oo-er different thread). I can believe Brucee being a toker tho, He had a addictive personality, one of the reasons he was so passionate about MA.
    As for Lung damage etc. It won't cause to much of a problem providing you exercise your lungs well. In much the same way that a few beers a night don't hinder health to much providing you are fit and active with a healthy diet and give your body a break every now and then. I'm personally more concerend with the pollutants being pumped into the air constantly by the millions of vehicles and factories. You can't knock them on the head.

19. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I believe this is a very important point. Not all strains of cannabis are the same. I believe for training the suggested type to take is the sativa strain, which I think has a higher THC content. Any botanists in the house?

Please don't confuse sativa with salvia though. I can't imagine that would make for a productive training session.

20. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Can't say about pot but sparring hungover nearly gave me a heart attack.

Women, booze and martial arts. I can survive TWO of those combined.