MAP Recipe Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mangosteen, Jan 4, 2015.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Recently I've been frying 240g chicken breast with half a clove of garlic and dried mixed herbs. Then when that's browned; add plenty fenugreek and cumin. After several minutes some tomatoe paste then half a carton of chopped tomatoes. I have that with avocado, tortillas and salad.

It tastes weird and I doubt anyone else would like it, but I really like fenugreek and cumin.

2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Coca-Cola Chicken
    Diet: carnivorous
    The easiest recipe I know that people will actually compliment me for.

Ingredients
    12 oz can coca cola (yes you can use Pepsi, but it has to be a sugar containing cola, this is important.)
    2 oz soy sauce
    1 pound boneless chicken thighs (drumsticks also work well)

Add coke and soy sauce to wide pan, bring to boil under med-high heat.
    Add chicken
    Let cook in boiling cola, turning regularly.
    Cook until cola has turned fairly viscous, then remove from heat. Sauce will thicken as it cools. You will need to be constantly turning the chicken at the end otherwise as the sauce thickens it will burn.

The soy sauce and sweet of the cola will give you a teriyaki style flavour, you can accent this by adding some toasted sesame seeds over the meet as well.

The acid of the cola makes the chicken quite tender.

Serve with white rice and vegetable of your choice.

I have also done this with just sprite/7up as well. I eliminated the soy sauce and served it over pasta and garnished it with lemons.

Mushroom likes this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Cans of coke in a health and fitness section :eek: . You could soak some dates in hot water for 7-10 minutes then blend them to add sweetness. To get them fiber and minerals and stuff. To get the coke flavor I think a gentle grating of a Kola nut would suffice.

I know a can of coke is cheaper, but I used to buy crates of dates cheaply from Turkey when I exercised more intensely than I do these days.

I don't eat/drink many 'unhealthy foods' apart from alcohol, because I think I should try to minimize refined carbohydrate/sweetener intake and try to increase nutritional density.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Weird Chinese remedy is boiled/warmed coca cola with slices of ginger.
    Apparently good for cold/flu.

Then again, coke is poured on pork joints then stuck in the oven. (Or was it gammon?)

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

y'all are doing it wrong - use tamarind flavoured jarritos instead of cola!

7. embra

embra Valued Member

Vege breakfast: good old short kern Porridge oats with oat milk, cinnamon and fruit - every breakfast for me.

8. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Red pepper and cherry tomato omelette.
    Eggs (I generally use 4).
    1 whole red pepper sliced.
    Cherry tomatoes halved.
    Salt
    Pepper
    Encona Hot Pepper Sauce.

Whisk eggs, add crushed sea salt, black pepper, sliced red peppers and cherry tomatoes, and a dash of Hot Pepper sauce.

[​IMG]

9. CrowZer0

Oops, didn't realise the pic would be so big.

10. CrowZer0

Crows Chicken and Potato Curry with Rice.

Diet: Crow's Indian night in, Gluten free!
    Inspiration: I wanted a curry!
    Warning: Can be spicy if you're a nutter like me and go crazy with red chilli powder.

Ingredients:
    Chicken pieces, preferably (best) on the bone, usually best as a whole chicken sliced, I'm using drumsticks, with skin.
    Rice of choice, I'm using long grain Basmati, Jasmine is also good.
    Onions, as a general rule the onions should be roughly half the size of the chicken, in my case 3 medium ones.
    Garlic and Ginger, crushed 2x Garlic to Ginger, (ginger can actually be optional) garlic should be like the yolk if the egg is an onion. I always go crazy with garlic so end up with about 1/5th of the onions.
    Sea Salt or Kosher Salt, Black Peppercorns.
    Spices ground Turmeric, Coriander, Cumin, Chilli, Saffron
    Some sort of vegetable oil, I used a combination of sunflower and coconut (alternatively, ghee) and a tiny **** of butter (optional).
    Can of chopped tomatoes, optional tomato puree, passata or fresh tomatoes.
    Potatoes (optional).

Step 1: Peel and finely chop the onions to equal size, this can be rough as this will be pureed anyway.
    1.JPG
    2.JPG

Step 2: Heat oil in a pan large enough for your ingredients, I prefer Teflon, at a high heat, wait for oil to smoke slightly, turn down heat to medium, add onions stir. Add a **** of butter (optional) stir some more for a minute or two until they start to sweat and brown. An alternative method to this is cook on an extremely high heat and constantly stir until browned, I prefer to let it sweat on medium low heat with lid on stirring occasionaly as this allows me to do other things.
    3.JPG

Step 4: After 5-10 mins of browning I like to add the garlic and ginger, (both crushed). After mixing this in, I add the salt and pepper, increase the heat and let the garlic and ginger brown and mix with the onions.

[​IMG]

11. CrowZer0

Step 4: After 5-10 mins of browning I like to add the garlic and ginger, (both crushed). After mixing this in, I add the salt and pepper, increase the heat and let the garlic and ginger brown and mix with the onions.

4.JPG

Step 5: Lower the heat, prepare spices. I have a premixed concotion that I made a long time ago and I work with smell and look, my premixed batch is roughly 2 parts turmeric, 1 part coriander 1/2 part cumin. I use 1-2 teaspoons of this, with 1 spoon of madras curry powder, and 2 teaspoons of chillipowder. If you can't handle spice I recommend half a teaspoon of chilli or even none, alternatively you can add the spice and mute the it by adding natural greek yoghurt. Add spices, increase heat and "burn" the spices. This will quickly dry up, and here I would add enough boiling water to cover the mixture until it starts to evaporate slightly away into a thick curry paste/gravy.

5.JPG

Let the sauce stay on a high heat for at least 5 minutes and let it become thicker, then add the chopped tomatoes (I was going to add pics at this but I'm limited to 3 per post). This is also the stage where you would squeeze in (half a lemon) and or yoghurt.

Step 6: Add the chicken, I like it with skin on, make sure it's clean and burn hairs off over stove. I now again increase the heat as I mix the chicken into the sauce for about 1-2 minutes, stick a lid onlower it to medium for a good 10 minutes.

6.JPG

12. CrowZer0

Step 7: Well kinda I already started on this step after I firststarted sweating the onions, quarter some potatoes, and par boil them. After the chicken had been on a medium heat for 10-15 mins add the parboiled potatoes, mix add lid, and stick on lowest heat possible and allow another 15 mins simmering.

Let it cool, with lid slightly off for the steam to escape, a good 10-15 mins, enjoy with rice.
    7.JPG

Brb finished product incoming.

13. CrowZer0

curry.JPG
    Finished product, generally I would garnish with maybe fresh tomatoes and coriander, but I was feeling lazy and didn't have any coriander.

Enjoy with a nice drink!

Mushroom likes this.
  14. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Jaydub's Fried Rice / Risotto Concoction

This was meant to be a simple Rice & Beans dish, but it kind of took on a life of it's own and elvolved into something I can't quite classify.

Ingredients (some measurements approximate):

- 2 tbsp olive oil
    - 5 cloves garlic, minced
    - 1.5 cups roasted sweet potatoes, chopped
    - 540 ml can black beans, drained and rinsed
    - 100 g frozen spinach
    - 3 cups cooked rice
    - 2 eggs, lightly beaten
    - 1/4 tsp sea salt
    - 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    - 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning

Method:

- over medium/high heat, heat olive oil in wok
    - add garlic, stir 1 minute
    - add sweet potatoes, stir 1 minute
    - add black beans, spinach, and seasonings
    - reduce heat to medium
    - stir until frozen spinach heats through, and comes apart
    - add cooked rice, stir 1 minute
    - increase heat to high
    - move mixture to the side on wok, add eggs
    - scramble fry for 2 minutes, or until egg fully cooked
    - remove from heat
    - serve

Yield:
    - 4 to 6 servings

Note: I had a taste and it's quite spicy. If that's not your thing, I recommend reducing the cayenne pepper by half.

axelb likes this.
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

A good thread resurrection @Jaydub :)

16. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm not sure this is the type of recipe people are looking for on here, but....

Morik's Creme Brulee

Hardware requirements:
    - Ramekins (6 should do it if they aren't the super tiny kind)
    - A caserole dish large enough for the 6 ramekins to sit in
    - A dish towel of any thickness. Thicker ones are a bit harder to work with, but not a big deal.
    - A fine mesh strainer (e.g., 100 micron strainer)
    - 2 large bowls (one not wider than the strainer, other can be any size)
    - A sauce pan, 3+ quarts
    - butter knife
    - sharp knife
    - A ladle
    - Stove
    - Oven
    - kitchen butane torch

Ingredients:
    - Eggs, 4-10 of them (fewer = thinner final product, more = thicker. I find around 6 eggs is generally good for my tastes.) It is best if these are room temperature by the time the cream is added to them, so pull these out to warm up before you start anything else, or even 30-60 minutes prior to starting preparation.
    - Heavy cream (2-2.5 cups is good, more here will result in a thinner final product.)
    - White sugar, 4 tablespoons (can use 6 or 8 if you prefer a sweeter custard), + more for the topping (at serving time)
    - Vanilla beans. I prefer using bourbon vanilla beans for creme brulee. You can use Tahitian beans but it will taste a bit odd. (You can order these direct from farmers on ebay or similar sites for much cheaper, and higher quality, than you get in grocery stores, at least in the US.) 1 bourbon bean is sufficient. You can use 2 if you wanna go nuts on vanilla taste. If you want to get really fancy 2 bourbon beans and half a Tahitian bean give a strong and interesting vanilla flavor. You can substitute vanilla extract, but it isn't nearly as good.

Preparation:
    - Preheat oven to 300 F
    - Put all the cream in a sauce pan.
    - Bisect the vanilla beans along their sides, such that you can unfold them and have the seeds of both halves of the bean pointing up towards the ceiling.
    - Use the back of a butter knife to scrape most of the seeds out of the beans--put the seeds in the sauce pan with the cream.
    - If necessary for them to fit, cut the vanilla beans in half, then place the beans in the cream as well.
    - Bring the cream to a boil, then let it sit for at least 15 minutes. 20 is better. (It will soak up vanilla flavor.)

- While you wait for the cream to soak up flavor, extract the egg yolks into a large bowl. NOTE: It is better if the eggs are room temperature by the time the cream is poured on them.
    - Add 4 (or 6 or 8) tablespoons of sugar
    - Beat the egg yolks & sugar together until its a homogeneous paste.

- After the cream has sat for 15-20 minutes, heat it back up to almost a boil (little bubbles along the edges, no rolling boil).
    - Slowly pour the cream onto the egg yolk & sugar mixture while stirring vigorously. You have to be really careful here, you can screw everything up if you aren't careful. The cream may cook the egg yolks if you add it too fast or aren't stirring properly. You want to pour really slow at first (stirring very fast), just a splash of cream, integrate it, another splash, integrate it, etc. Once around 1/3 of the cream has been added you can start going faster. (And yes, the vanilla beans are still in there--you can extract them first if you like, but they will be strained off later anyway.)

- Now you have an uncooked custard. But if you cook it in its current form (even if you took out the vanilla beans), it will be lumpy. To get a really smooth awesome texture, you need to finely strain it. Set up the strainer over the other large bowl and pour your uncooked custard through it. This will not only strain out the vanilla beans but will also break up clumps that can form when the egg & cream mix. Don't skip this step, it makes a very noticeable difference in the final texture.

- Ladle the custard evenly into ramekins. Don't fill them more than 80% or so full, or you'll have trouble later.
    - Place the dish towel in the casserole dish, flat.
    - Put the filled ramekins on top of the dish towel in the casserole dish.
    - Carefully fill the casserole dish with hot water, so that the water comes up at least as high on the ramekins as the custard does inside. The water evens out cooking temperature and makes sure you get a very nice consistent custard across all the ramekins. The dish towel prevents excess heat transfer on the bottom of the ramekins. (Note that if you filled the custard too high, the water level would need to be too high and you'd risk spilling water into the ramekins.)
    - Place in the oven for 15-30+ minutes. Check at 15 minutes and every 5 minutes after that. To check done-ness, use a utensil of some sort to poke a ramekin (you'll need to open the oven). Observe the custard; if it moves like a liquid still when you poke the ramekin, it isn't done. You want to remove it when it is starting to get a gel-like consistency. At time of removal, if you have oven gloves on, if you shake the ramekin back and forth the custard should jiggle but not flow like liquid. If it doesn't jiggle you overcooked it. Expect around 25-30 minutes.

- Remove ramekins from the casserole dish (I like using grill tongs for this--oven gloves are no good cause of all the hot water in the dish). Let them cool on top of the stove or counter (on a raised rack, preferably, not directly against the counter) for a couple hours.
    - When putting them in the fridge, you can take saran wrap & gently press it down onto the custard, then secure it around the ramekin. This will prevent the top from forming a rubbery texture due to exposure to the air. (You can skip the saran wrap if you want; its hard to tell a difference once you do the topping at serving time.)

Let them sit in the fridge at least 4 hours, preferably 8+.

Serving:
    - Add some sugar to the ramekin, then shake the ramekin lightly to evenly distribute the sugar over the surface of the custard. You want a nice coating, not too thin.
    - Use the butane torch to melt the sugar. If you like a more burnt sugar topping, keep the torch on the same spot for a while til it turns a dark brown. If you prefer a less burnt sugar topping, move the torch constantly in slow motions, not staying on an area once it starts bubbling (you can come back after the bubbling stops if it needs more heat). You are looking for a light brown/caramel color.
    - Eat within 20 minutes of doing the topping.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

:eek: I love creme brulee. We have a blow torch especially for the topping.

18. Morik

Us too, though it has been a few years since I made some. (I'll have to make some soon.)
    I find mine is consistently better than we can get in even really nice restaurants.

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Stuffed Potato:

1: Thoroughly wash potato.
    2: Boil unpeeled potato until relatively soft.
    3: While potato boils, prepare stuffing mix (for example chili beef, chopped veggies mix, cheese & onion, pulled pork or chicken, etc).
    4: Cut unpeeled potato in half lengthwise.
    5: Scrape off the inside of each half with a tablespoon, leaving a thin layer against the skin.
    6: Mash the scraped-off potato and mix with previously prepared stuffing mix, cook further if needed.
    7: Stuff the half-potato skins with the mix, add any extras (spices, grated cheese, etc).
    8: Bake at ~220ÂșC for ~10min on preheated oven.

Example stuffing mix (creamy cheese sauce):

1 (main step 3): Mix ~100cc water, powdered chicken stock, and 2 tablespoons chopped onion, in a pot. Mix ~200cc milk, 1 tablespoon flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 chopped garlic clove, in a bowl, stirring until creamy
    2 (main step 6): Cook first mix and scooped-out mash on high heat, stirring until stock is properly mixed. Add second mix to the pot, cook for ~5min
    3 (main step 7): Sprinkle grated cheese and oregano on top, after stuffing the mix back into the skins, before baking them.

If it goes well with potato, you can use it as stuffing, and everything goes well with potato. Extremely easy to do, and can get as simple as just chucking a bar of cheese and a strip of bacon in the middle of the mash and calling it a day, or as elaborate as your kitchen imagination and skill will allow (even throw some salmon in there and make it a posh dish if you fancy).

Smaug97 likes this.
  20. Morik

I was just looking and it seems this is no longer the case. Maybe 4-5 years ago you could get them for about $0.25 -$0.50 a bean. Now it seems they are multiple dollars per bean, at least most places I'm looking.
    Fancy grocery stores sell them for $4-$6 per bean.