MAP Problem?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Topher, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Topher

Topher allo!

Is there a problem with MAP?

There are times when i simply cannot load the site at all. Although i know there are people using it as i get Gmail notices. If it does load, it takes ages and dosn't do much else. This all while other sites work properly. :confused:

Working fine now though.

2. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

im getting it too.

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Homer its picking on you!!! :D

I have had similar probs lately maybe its a London thing !!!

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Nope, its getting me too (I am up in the north east).

I thought Saz was messing around with the server again ;) :p

5. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Here's a tip on how to keep MAP running slowly:

Every time it goes down or starts moving slowly, you should start a thread and have everybody post on it saying how slow everything is. That'll keep all our resources busy.

6. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

It's happening to me here alot (Canada). It isn't even a certain time of day - I've had it happen to me at work :rolleyes: and at home.

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Wasn't me.. I've barely been here this week at all.

Our server load is through the roof, and there's not much I can do about that.

The reason for the slowdowns is that the site is too big for its hosting package and we need a bigger one. We just don't have the means at the moment to do it. People can help by donating using the Support MAP page, but until we get moved to a new server, this will only get worse.

8. hux

hux ya, whatever.

Just an idea - if ya donate is there some ultra special user group you could belong to? Maybe with access to a private forum or two, something like that?

just thinking 'out loud' i reckon.

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Yeah, why not :)

We were planning this for the upgrade, but I'll set it up now. It'll get beefed up when the upgrade comes along I expect.

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Yoda has optimised the database again, hopefully this will speed stuff up a wee bit.

11. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Realistically, how much needs to be raised for a server upgrade?

12. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I dunno - but yesterday I had to actually work for like 3 hours yesterday at work. You guys gotta do something, I can't keep this up.

:love:

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There must be more people who don't use the amazon links here... maybe they should be more prominant. Either way, MAP obviously only generates revenue from that, donations and google ads that nobody really looks at.

14. CDNhammer

CDNhammer New Member

LOL....same boat here. Damn tabbed browsing....makes it way to easy to scroll through recent posts and open them all in new tabs and read/reply to them. I'm almost tempted to ask my IT dept to ban MAP's address for me, but I don't think I really want to admit flat out that I waste too much time on the net!

15. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

One thought: last Xmas I got my Dad to do all his Amazon purchases through the MAP / Amazon link. Perhaps if other members got their families to do this too?

Also, I think we should reduce server load by typing smaller. This will use up less disk space.:D

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I have had the family doing that since the Amazon link was posted ;)

I have an idea for something I have seen. Hows about Google Ads or links to the Support MAP page between the first and second posts on every threads/page?

17. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

In an effort to reduce load, how about only allowing browsing by members of MAP.

I've notice quite a few times that the 'guests' outweigh the members by at least 2:1 sometimes 3:1(especially when its slow).

Or have maybe 100 guest slots? after all its not hard to join up.

:)

or a suggested donation of £1, 20,000 members?

Just seems strange to give all the resources to non-members.

18. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Also, if anyone has amazon bookmarked, change the address to the MAP one. Especially if it's a home/company/school computer. This should help you donate even when you forget. :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  19. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Using our support links is a really good way to help us without paypal. Amazon's the main one, but now there's TKOGear.com and Red-Lizard MA products too. MAP gets a cut of the sale (10% for TKOGear and 20% for Red-Lizard) http://www.martialartsplanet.com/support.htm

We're looking at bring in other's too, I'm working something out with MMAUniverse too.

We can upgrade the package on our host, that'll cost $175 a month though :eek:

Switching off the forum to guests sounds good in practice, but it'd hurt our search engine ranking's (as they are guests) and also our member registrations. Gotta keep the new blood coming :) A fair bit of stuff should be turned off to guests anyway. I'll check if the Gallery is, since thats where the big images are.

20. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Supporting Members is now active :) You can access it via your User CP, under Misc, or via this link http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/subscriptions.php?

The donation level is set at £10/$17.40/€14.50

In addition to the warm fuzzy feeling you get, I've also thrown in these extra's.

• Space for 300 Private Messages
    • Bigger avatar (100 x 100)
    • Access to post events in the Calendar
    • Extra Photo Gallery Space
    • Profile Picture (personal picture in your profile)
    • Shiny Badge
    • Your username will show up in Blue
    • Your username displayed on the Forum Leaderboard
    • Access to Members only forum
    • Access to post in Event Promotion (if you don't already have access)
    • Access to play in Arcade (if you don't already have access)