MAP Meet 2019

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I need to make sure to have a place to stay (*cough* Mitch? :) Might I ask in a few days? *cough*), a flight - and that my Mom takes care of the dog :rolleyes:
    The latter will probably be the easiest lol

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You're welcome, as always :)

Latikos and Simon like this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its amazing when you get the see the back of your shoulder blade for the 1st time ever ...

hewho and axelb like this.
  4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

boy, am I getting nervous, I start physio on my right shoulder soon, getting it in advance

Mitch likes this.
  5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

BUMP..

I have booked time off for the weekend and am setting out a lesson plan

Come on folks New year ...set your calendars and make it

Smurf

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

On a wait list my end....

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This year we are making a change to the way we schedule the lessons.

Previously we have had either two or three instructors teaching at the same time.

We've done this to try and spread what is available, but often attendees have complained there is always a session they wanted to take, but it clashed with another they want to try that is on at the same time.

This year we will have one instructor at a time on the mat.

It's better for the instructor (who remember gives their time for free), as the numbers will be larger.

I also think it'll create a greater sense of discussion, as we'll all be talking about the same thing.

Hannibal coming over to the UK and attending the meet has been confirmed and the first session will be Bulldog Catch Wresting.

If you already grapple you'll love the stuff he shows you. If you've never grappled you'll definitely be shown stuff you'll be able to take away.

I'll try and talk him into showing one of our grappling flow drills.

Next on the mat will be Unreal Combat, who will be teaching Muay Thai.

We'll then break for lunch.

After lunch we'll get Smurf on the mat and he'll be teaching Jujitsu - locks and takedowns.

Those that have trained with Smurf before will know just how much fun his sessions are.

Some of my guys still reference Smurf's stuff years after having trained with him.

For the final session Hannibal will be back. It's only fair as he is travelling from Canade for this event.

Originally he was down for an edged weapons session, but is there something else you'd like him to cover?

Finally all this will cost you is £20 and you can make a donation by visiting the link on page 1 of this thread.

If you've only just joined MAP you can still attend, bring a friend or fellow student, even if they aren't a member.

It really is such a fantastic day.

John Titchen will also be attending along with some of his students, so a nice chance for some of you to catch up with him.

Feel free to ask questions.

Get donating.

Mitch and Alansmurf like this.
  8. Simon

I should also add that this year we are allowing participants from 14 years old, as long as they are accompanied by an adult, or senior student/instructor.

Alansmurf likes this.
  9. Alansmurf

Come on down folks
    You don't want to miss this years event

Mitch and Simon like this.
  10. Simon

Hannibal's first session will be one of his ground flow drills.

We've chosen this for a few reasons, but lots of you will want to roll/grapple, but don't have the opportunity.

This drill is one that we can do in a 90 minute session, one that you can learn and take away and drill with friends and another bonus is that there will be a few of us there who can assist with the teaching.

Hannibal, my son, John Titchen and myself can all teach this drill, so you'll get plenty of one on one tuition.

It's not a "how to fight when on the ground" drill, but one that gives you (to quote Hannibal), "the keys to the kingdom".

This means that whatever position you may find yourself in you'll have a point of reference.

Whether you currently roll or not you'll really enjoy this first session.

A great way to kick off the meet.

Ground flow.jpg

11. Simon

I should also add that the last groundwork seminar Hannibal did he turned up like this...

Hannibal.jpg

Wrestlers will know why.

You simply can't miss this event.

axelb and Mitch like this.
  12. Alansmurf

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Simon likes this.
  13. Simon

What can we say about Smurf.

A man so tough the only person who can wristlock him is Smurf himself.

Smurf.jpg

axelb, Alansmurf and bassai like this.
  14. Simon

For those of you who have never attended a MAP Meet they are run in aid of charity.

In 2017 we lost Moi, one of our most prolific posters and the charity we chose in his memory was Home | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems

This year the charity is The Ehlers-Danlos Support UK – Support for people touched by the Ehlers-Danlos syndromes and every penny you donate will go to the charity.

All instructors give their time for free and Martial Arts Planet covers the hire of the hall.

See Page 1 of this thread for details of the 2019 meet and details of where you can donate.

If you can't make the event, but still want to donate please let us know so we can say a thank you.

For those that are coming you'll make a friend for life.

Does donating make a difference, well Moi's family said this, "Nice to hear from you and with such amazing news :)

Wow, if only Moi realised what he meant to so many people, keep up the good work and finger crossed the support the MAP family can give will help those in need and save lives.

All I can say Mitch, the MAP family are awesome. I have had some comments back from family already thanking you guys and girls supporting MIND and the ace pic of you lot :)

Best wishes to you all and continued success to you Mitch good luck."

I'll leave you with a picture of some of those who attended in 2017 raising a glass to Moi.

MAP Meet.jpg

Mitch likes this.
  15. Simon

Someone is excited about the meet, however, I'm not sure the rest of us are so ready.

What dimwit asked him to do a groundwork session?

jay.png

axelb likes this.
  16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Should I bring a gi?

17. Simon

Although the wrestling session under Hannibal is without a gi, I'm sure he can show you some subtle twists with it.

The same goes for Smurf's session.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  18. Alansmurf

Bring a Gi

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sound. I'll bring a white belt, purple belt, and hopefully JT will let me borrow his pink belt again.

20. Simon

People are starting to donate, so make sure you get your contribution in before June 15th.

For those that have donated, but can't make the event thank you so much.

Mitch likes this.