MAP Meet 2019

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Systema has the same problem as JKD had in the late 80 early 90s , nobody had heard of it apart from some bs claims from wannabe people, and some bad videos, like JKD, Systema is a process and not a style, a different way of training with similar philosophies, but instead of using similarities of styles and blending them to adapt and over come, Systema uses a principle of being in control of your emotions, being relaxed, moving naturally.
    My teacher is a gentleman called Matt Hill, 5th dan Aikido, spent two years as a servant/ pupil of Saito sensei, one of only a few westerners to train Japanese students, a captain in the British paras, not a silly man. I would put it to those whom mock Systema, it is a lack of understanding of systema that makes you wary. I can understand loyalty to your chosen art forms, give it time and I am sure you will talk about systema as you would JKD, SILAT, KARATE ETC.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think a few of us do talk about systema the same way we do certain jkd, silat and aikido places and it's not because of loyalty to chosen arts forms it because of what we have seen and whitnessed and quite frankly the tosh that's put out there

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The "how long did you train"? question is a double edged sword - some things do need to be experiential, but on the other hand you don;t need to be a plumber to tell someone they have a leaking pipe

For reference - amongst other things - I hold a first degree in ROSS, so not exactly a stranger to the Russian way of things

narcsarge likes this.
  4. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I could not agree more with the statement " the tosh that is out there ".

Vince Millett likes this.
  5. Hannibal

Agreed, I have ZERO loyalty to any art

narcsarge likes this.
  6. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I never doubted your ma credentials Mr Hannibal, I read the interview on map, it is, I have seen and heard a lot of discussion on ma trends in my time, and a lot of people judge without knowing, but 10 -15 years later, it's either forgotten or spoke of as the norm.

7. Hannibal

Oh I didnt think you were mon ami! I just was referencing my grade in ROSS for context; I trained with Steve Crutchley and (less frequently to be sure) Matt Clempner Sr in the UK. I had my first exposure to ROSS back in 1996

Interestingly one of my old friends and training partners, Harvey Guest, was a bujinkan 5th dan who latterly moved to systema...I used to rib him mercilessly!

8. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I mean who talks about Vale tu do or Arnis anymore ( can someone sort out this corrective text)

9. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Looking forward to a grovit on the map meet, and your catch wrestling session

10. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

No ego on my part (smiles nicely)

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Actually I think, both is often around, when talking about MAs *insert thinking emoji here* (We don't have enough emojis!)

12. Hannibal

Well Vale Tudo is now effectively MMA as a blanket term, so in essence EVERBODY is still talking about it :)

Arnis is still around and doing fine, although people use Escrima/Kali/Arnis interchangably - Rapid Arnis is still going with MAP's own Pat O'Malley for example

narcsarge likes this.
  13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I did rapid Arnis for about a year with pat. Still do my 12 count strikes, anyo and siniwali when I pick up a stick.

For the reason systema gets a bad rap you only need look as far as the recent videos of that fat geezer laying on the floor and throwing off his attacker by flexing his belly.

Old bloke likes this.
  14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I have found this sistema you all Speak about ...

Attached Files:

Frodocious, Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

It's good ...yes ?

Attached Files:

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Vale Tudo means "anything goes" and is essentially bareknuckle MMA so......

Is Vale Tudo Heroes still going?

17. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Mr alansmurf

Pmsl

Alansmurf likes this.
  18. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I would like to volunteer to uke for a grovit, my body now being fully recovered from MAP meet 2017

Mushroom, Hannibal, Mitch and 2 others like this.
  19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Ooh goodie, a victim, er, I mean training partner. :D

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Don't miss out folks, make your donation and attend something really special.

Don't be that person who makes excuses one week beforehand.

Hannibal wants to meet Smurf and shake his hand.

You can't miss that now can you? :D

Hannibal likes this.