MAP Meet 2018

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jul 3, 2017.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

In Sanda I used to push on the guard with reasonable success, and used it in the few sessions of Thai I did as well. Often drilled the concept of following back jabs (and hooks in Thai) but found less success, although that's purely anecdotal from my experience.

Knee Rider likes this.
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep and why I said the only people you can see doing it in full contact environments are those who don't train it as trapping as you see it trained in most wing chun tcma or jkd schools,

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Debunking the trapping hands myth.

Just sayin'. :D

Dan Bian, Knee Rider and Travess like this.
  4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Same. I tend to pay down the lead and step out to try landing the right straight and I like to try to scoop the rear arm/elbow out to land the body shot on the liver side.

Never tried following the jab back though as I usually just attempt to slip and land my own as it's coming forward.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think trapping can work in the initial "interview" stage of an altercation. When there's gesturing, pointing and posturing. Slapping hands down or away to open up a pre-empt or other manoeuvre. One of the few real situations I had one time involved me slapping arms to one side as they reached for me and then pushing them away.
    It can also work, as other have mentioned in MMA and boxing where people are "dueling" and back and forth. It's been an eye opener to me watching breakdown videos seeing how much trapping and limb manipulation people like Foreman, Fedor, Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Lomachenko and McGregor do to open up what they want to do.
    But in a chaotic unprovoked attack by some numpty I think trapping becomes a lot less usable and useful.
    There's a lot of trapping like movements in modern kata bunkai but while I like some of that sort of bunkai some of it tends to get into the same problems as your usual WC type stuff.

Knee Rider and Vince Millett like this.
  6. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've drilled a bit of arm trapping at my Muay Thai gym, though they don't call it that. They call it modified clinch.
    We've also done drills where both attacker & defender are in long guard, and then attacker sort of sweeps the defender's arms/hands away with one hand while striking with the other hand.

7. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

So I hop on MAP after a prolonged absence and one of the first thread I open has a discussion about trapping.

Feels like homecoming, really.

8. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sooo, the MAP meet was over for me as it is at a time we have an annual karate seminar abroad, too. However, it was just cancelled. Now the question remains if someone else will organize the trip instead and I'd go or not.

Since nothing is really certain for me at the moment, the MAP meet became an option. To be able to consider things better, I would like to learn a liiittle bit more about it.
    I wonder how long the training by itself takes? And I understood it is only on Saturday, but is there also something planned on Sunday? I could always go explore London and/or visit some of IOGKF senior instructor's dojo, but I just wonder what the whole event is about :)

9. Simon

The MAP Meet is a great event and you'll definitely make new friends.

It starts in the morning and goes on until 5.00pm, with a break for lunch.

Sessions are 90 minutes long and there are two or three instructors teaching in each session, so two or three options in the morning session and the same in the two afternoon sessions.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Travess and Nachi like this.
  10. Nachi

Thank you, Simon, that sounds good! It will probably take some time for me to know if I can go on that weekend, but if I am (and the plane tickets won't rise too high by then :D), I will strongly consider making an appearance :)

Alansmurf and Simon like this.
  11. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I went to my first meet last year - definately well worth attending :)

A wide range of arts and skills being shared by some incredibly skilled practitioners. I highly recommend attending if you get the chance!

12. Nachi

I am glad to see there are many positive things to say about MAP meets. I would really like to come one day, but so far for me it was a day of training in the UK with all of you or a week of training in my style in Croatia by the sea.... soooo - I hope you see my dilemma :D
    If the Croatia isn't there this year, though, I would really like to come.

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I want to do a trips & dumps session :D

axelb and Mitch like this.
  14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Please do so off the mats as drips and dumps are for the porcelain area not the dojo :)

15. Simon

Ask and you shall receive.

After a chat with Lei today I can confirm he will be teaching at the MAP Meet.

Trips & dumps it is then. :D

Mitch and Unreal Combat like this.
  16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Is that your tag team name?

Simon likes this.
  17. Simon

Seems someone has vandalised your profile. :D

Hannibal, Nachi and Travess like this.
  18. Hannibal

Seems someone will be getting extra homework this week.....

Simon likes this.
  19. Simon

I don't care. I'm doing the happy dance.

Hannibal likes this.
  20. Hannibal

I thought you just needed to pee....carry on!

Simon likes this.