MAP Meet 2018

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Saw the list on page 8.

Simon, would be good to update the OP with the list. Makes it easier to find. :)

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I can't attend this year (surprise, surprise) but will donate brand new copies of the following books to the raffle:

Meditations on Violence (Rory Miller)

Drills: Training for Sudden Violence (also Rory Miller)

Probably the easiest way to do this is for y'all to do the raffle, and if Simon DM's me the winner's address details. Hope this helps. (If the winner already has these titles, they can choose another Rory Miller book or similar title.)

Dan Bian, Travess and Pretty In Pink like this.
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sadly due to work commitments he can't get out of Smurf is unable to attend.

I'll do a re-work of the running order a little later and put it on the first page for all to see.

I'll be doing a group warm up that is just a few minutes long.

It's designed to put us all on the same level and I guarantee a laugh.

Dan Bian likes this.
  4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

It is such a pity to see everyone announce they won't make it. On the other hand, as I mentioned before, me and my partner were still thinking and so and just bought plane tickets! :) We will be in High Wycombe since Friday Morning to Sunday or Monday and then move for one or two nights to London. We will be happy to meet you all :)

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Awesome - see you there!

Nachi likes this.
  6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nachi, that's awesome.

Nachi likes this.
  7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Apologies to you all
    The MAP meet is definitely one of my favourite annual martial arts events
    With a crew of like minded individuals looking to expand their Martial arts knowledge base whilst having some fun at the same time
    I let Simon know out of courtesy first but I have been trying to get the day off reinstated to no avail ...and work keeps the roof over the head and enables me to continue in my own martial arts journey
    Anyway I wish you all a great day and will be thinking of you

Smurf

PS Someone do some hand shake techniques for me !!

Mushroom, Mitch and Nachi like this.
  8. Unreal Combat

That is pretty cool. Nice one Nachi.

Sorry to hear Alan won't be attending. Always a warm smile and handshake.

Due to interest on this from several people on my last attendance, and depending on what pads we end up with on the day, I may change my second session to a pad holding workshop focusing on how to hold pads properly & build up combos as a padman. So you'll still get to practice striking combinations but with an additional focus on holding pads correctly, which I think all martial art styles can get something out of.

This will depend on what pads we have on the day. I have spoken to Simon, John & Paul already about obtaining some more Thai Pads. Belly Pads & Hook & Jab pads would be good also so we have a variety of pads to work with and teach you about. I'll also be bringing my own personal set but if anyone attending has some spare pads they can bring along on the day, feel free.

Also, depending on how this may or may not work out, I would be willing to hold pads for individual 45-90 minute sessions throughout the day when I am not teaching for anyone who would like to get some personal coaching in Kickboxing or Muay Thai. There will obviously be no cost for this with this being charity event, so a good chance to get some personal coaching from an ex national champion, for free!

This would need to be on a first come first served basis and would probably be better to book a slot in advance rather than on the day so we can set it up with the running order.

Final call with this would be on the event organisers but I have no problem with doing this.

Mitch and Nachi like this.
  9. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Sorry to hear that you can't make it :-(

Happy to oblige !!!

Alansmurf likes this.
  10. Nachi

Hey guys,
    so we were planning our journey to the venue and our stay for the few days and I figured one small problem I didn't realize before :D So I would like to ask you locals, if you have a better idea how things work. We will arrive on Thursday evening (late evening, around 11 pm) to Luton airport. From there we are going to take a bus to High Wycombe where we have a hotel. However, we figured it would be difficult to go to High Wycombe that late, not to mention to check in sometime during the night, so we thought we'll just spend the first night at the airport. However, I just realized that when spending the night somewhere at the airport, it is when people wait for another flights. We will just be led out to the arrivals and there I suppose isn't really a place or some comfortable bench where it would be alright to sleep. Do you know the Luton airport and how things work or look there? Obviously, there are hotels near the airport, but aren't exactly cheap and we would rather avoid that and just stayed the night somewhere before checking in our hotel in the morning.

So another plan we came up with was to take a late, or rather, early morning bus to High Wycombe and find ourselves a comfortable bench at the bus station or at a park we saw on the map not too far. :D And look very inconspicuous in case it is forbidden in the UK :D

We also haven't yet donated to the charity picked, but we will, soon! :)

11. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

National Express run a bus from Luton Airport to High Wycombe (there is one at 20 past midnight, then another at 20 past 2) and if your hotel has a 24hr reception (most do) then you could contact them about check-in time restrictions.

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  12. Nachi

I see, thanks! We found a bus which leaves shortly after 23 pm (and I am not sure we'd catch it) and then one around 2 am. I am not sure about the 24 hour reception, I'll check it out. I've already requested for an earlier check in - meaning at 10 am and they said "What you requested can't be arranged ahead of time but we'll do our best to accommodate you upon arrival." So I am not sure it that would work even in the middle of the night. We also don't have that night booked now since we thought we'd only get there the next day in the morning. And I am not sure if they still have rooms free now.

Edit: They do have free rooms still, but check-in is till 10 pm and I can't find any mention about a 24 hour reception. And wouldn't be too sure they have it.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  13. Travess

Yeah, you'd need to see if you could book the Thursday night, then it'd be classed as a late book-in, which they should be okay with.

Travess

14. Unreal Combat

For Luton you should give yourself around an hour after arrival to collect your luggage, get through passport control, etc.

Nachi likes this.
  15. Nachi

Yes I know, I am counting with some time reserve, although not that long as we will only have a cabin luggage. In the end I searched and found a good looking and not too pricey hotel in Luton, so we discarded our adventure and will sleep comfortably :D
    Thank you both for the tips. And hopefully see you!

Also I am welcoming tips on where to go sightsee in High Wycombe as we'll be there for 3 days :)

Travess likes this.
  16. Travess

My knowledge of High Wycombe is limited to their train station, and an Italian Restaurant ('Ask') but I'm sure that there is plenty more... :D
    Shame - Sleeping on a park bench seems like... fun!

Travess

17. Nachi

Haha :D That's kind of what I hoped wouldn't happen! XD

It did, right? :D Except for your always rainy weather...
    We even saw throught google maps that the park we picked even had one hammock! But after contemplating, we realised we would fight over who gets to sleep there and that would be a big problem. So we decided to rent two beds in the end :D Shame on us :D

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

High Wycombe does have a high street (restaurants, markets etc) but it is a bit......quiet. But you are about 20-30mins to Central London.
    (High Wycombe > Marylebone/Baker Street to give you an idea)

Nachi likes this.
  19. Nachi

Thanks!
    Honestly, I've been to London for a month long ago and I just... didn't feel too well with so many people everywhere, blocking my path and everything. So a quieter street is welcome :) And we'll be going to London for one night, too, we have yet to look into how to get there. I thought I read something about going to Baker street somewhere, though.
    I also just tried to arrange a training for us in the dojo of one of our organization's senior instructors, but they're away and the only class we could make it to was cancelled. So sad! :(
    Does anyone here teach somewhere in London? :) We'll be there Monday afternoon to Tuesday early evening and we are yet thinking about where we'd like to visit, but some kind of MA training could be nice! :) The IOGKF dojos we looked into (except this one which didn't work out) probably don't have regular classes at that time.

20. Travess

Gavin Mulholland runs a Monday evening Goju session in London.

DKK Karate - Training

Travess

Nachi likes this.