MAP Meet 2015 June 13th, High Wycombe

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jun 16, 2014.

?

Who is going?

1. Definately going

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Hopefully going

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. I'm a wimp and have to check with my partner

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Can't make it, gutted

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

MAP MEET JUNE 13TH 2015

Where is it?

High Wycombe Judo Centre
    http://www.wycombejudocentre.co.uk/

This venue has matted training areas large enough for 2 or 3 sessions at the same time, changing rooms and showers, on site parking, and a social bar area overlooking the main Dojo.

Can I go if I'm not a member or am inexperienced?

Most definitely. Levels of skill and/or fitness isn't a requirement.
    The MAP Meet is a fantastic chance to take a sample session in an art you've either always wanted to try, or never before had the opportunity.

Who is teaching and what arts can I try?

This section will get updated, but already confirmed to teach are:

Ian Rose (Paralympic Champion) - Judo
    Smurf - Mushin Bushikan Ju Jitsu
    Lei Bridges (English Full Contact Kickboxing Champion) - K1 Kickboxing & Muay Thai
    jwt - DART
    Mushroom - Wrestling
    Janno - FMA (knife)
    Mitch - TKD
    Southpaw - MMA
    Slideyfoot

I will also take a session of required.

Getting there
    The location is just off one of two M40 junctions for the town and close to the M4 and M25 routes.
    http://www.wycombejudocentre.co.uk/page9.html

Buses or taxis
    You can get a taxi or blag a lift from the central bus station. The Booker/Lane End one (032A) is most likely to be the best choice.
    http://www.transportforbucks.net/Buses-and-trains/Bus-stations.aspx
    You either want the Turnpike Corner West stop or the Lansdell Avenue Stop. The Judo Centre is in Barry Close.

Rail
    The station (with trains roughly every 20 mins) is on the Birmingham to Marylebone line, so you can get intercity to one of those locations (or Banbury) and then switch.
    http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/default.aspx

How do I pay?
    We'll be setting up a just giving page. Details to follow.

What charity are we supporting?
    MAP has supported some very worthy charities over the years and the 2015 Meet will be in aid of the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust.
    This is the charity that helped Ian Rose when he was a child, so with his continued support of the MAP Meet I thought it a nice partnership.

Can I bring a friend/partner/another member of my club?

yes. As long as they pay through the Just Giving page, then it's not a problem.

Will it be fun?

Oh yes, very much so.

Size, shape, sex, fitness and flexibility aren't a requirement. Come and meet the people you talk to online and see them in a different light.

Take a look at the 2014 Meet video and you'll get a flavour of the day.

Just a word of warning.

Never shake hands with a MAPper. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCN1eIWdz4&list=UUCEvC8J27lX6ns2hNgY3zUQ"]MAP Meet 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Little Smurf wants to attend.....and shake
    everyones hand ....

3. Alansmurf

He is 11 ....

4. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I will book a date off work in advance and see if I can snag a lift off Smurf .... :) Don't mind Nottingham only issue with December would be the run up to XMAS and people pouring their available cash into presents/parties ect. I will be cool as long as I know in advance, don't want to miss a third event...

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Mrs bassai has expressed an interest as well ..............

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'll do any month.

Sloth I'd take you up on that offer, haha. With that said if there was someone in actual need of it of course it should go to them. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  7. Simon

I've added a poll to guage your opinion as to when the meet should be held.

It would be nice to book the venue early and then we'll have time to get other instructors/classes on board.

8. Unreal Combat

I voted February and March. I have money to put down for a ticket as soon as it's set up.

9. Alansmurf

I will train anytime....

I dont mind who teaches as long as there is a sense of humour on the mats ....and a handshake !!!!!

:Angel:

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

A cold shiver just went through my right arm...

11. Simon

We didn't want to keep you guys and girls waiting an entire year for the next MAP Meet, so just 364 days after the 2014 meet, the date for the 2015 meet has been set.

June 13th 2015.

High Wycombe Judo Centre

I know we discussed holding the event in a different part of the country, but the MOD Team decided that the Judo Centre is such a good venue it should be held there again.

I spoke to Ian Rose today and he commented on how much he enjoyed the day and how well it was organised (thanks to jwt).

Ian will again be taking a Judo session. Also confirmed to teach are myself (if required), Smurf, Mitch and jwt.

I'm also waiting on the confirmation of another excellent instructor.

By getting the venue booked a year in advance I'm giving the most notice I possibly can. It also allows me the time to make this a fantastic event and you the time to organise yourself.

We've supported many great charities over the years and with Ian Rose already on-board I thought that in 2015 the charity should be the Royal National Institute for the Blind, that is unless Ian supports a specific blindness foundation.

I'd like to thank those who've suggested different locations and made the effort to get me contact details.

They'll be loads of information to follow, but for now I just wanted to give you the location and date.

See you there. :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'm in America then :cry:

Don't know the date yet for the 2036 MAP meet, do you Simon? :D

13. Unreal Combat

I'm in. As soon as tickets are available to purchase I will buy mine and put my train fare aside also (in case I can't get transport).

Happy to run some Thai Pad drills for an hour if you guys would like.

14. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I should be in the U.K. and relatively settled with nothing major going on in June so hopefully I will be able attend.

For me the MAP meet would be of interest simply because I'd get to meet MAPers who I've spoken to for a long time but never met. Names aren't really an issue for me, then again if we are trying to attract outsiders then I can see the plus side of pushing for "big faces".

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Meh. Guys like Mitch and Simon have demonstrated far more knowledge on this forum - for free, I'll add - than some of the overpriced "big names" I have met for real, in the time I have been on MAP.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Nobody knows mankinis like Mitch knows mankinis :D

We must get you along to teach a session though VZ, keep it in mind in case your plans change :)

Mitch

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Provisionally I'm down as well.

As I said before, closer to the date if anyone is looking like they might struggle for money to make their place at the meet and accommodation, I am happy to help out with one person's costs if needs be.

At least this time I'll know where I'm going :p

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

That would be cool.

You're welcome to a lift UC. :)

Mitch

19. Simon

This is what makes you guys and the MAP Meet awesome.

20. Unreal Combat

Thanks Mitch!