MAP karate meet?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Llamageddon, Aug 31, 2009.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Thought so.

Hehe, no offense taken - I am bit too long in the tooth to be brain washed ;)

But fact remains, if you want a successful competition, bouts have to be refereed. Taking the view that most referee's are c*ap is fine (one I used to hold during my competing years lol) but in the long term its not going to get you anywhere.

Outside of technical ability sometimes association / style bias can get in the way when deciding who is or isn't a good referee.

I know that the British Armed Forces for example have an annual (multi style) karate competition, they don't ref themselves. Instead, they call in the BTKA to do it.

Gary

[edit] sometimes when it comes to refs, you are never going to please all of the people all of the time.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Teebs

Teebs Valued Member

This seems interesting, I might come if it's during term time and in Birmingham.

3. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

Not everyone wants to got to the U.S.A or even to England but i'm pretty sure most people want to come to Australia ........................ ahem ....................hint , hint beg, beg ,beg :)

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Ok guys, a casual little 'tourny' would be fun, so I reckon if we get some rules together and nominate a month to do it in, we can organise everything else around it.

I was thinking using KWF shobu ippon rules as a base? Or perhaps JKA rules? Or a mix of the two? What I'd like to avoid, as I'm sure all of us would, is the pointy screamy shouty tappy of the WKF, and to put just a slight bit of contact in the mix. Nothing major - just enough so you know you've been hit decisively, that's all.

mitts on hands, harder contact allowed to torso.
    Kicks allowed to head area, but no real contact
    sweeps and takedowns allowed (obviously)
    kicks are allowed to be caught, as long as a counter is thrown within a reasonable time.

Off the top of my head, maybe we could schedule something for November or January?

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've got two questions on those outlined rules.
    1. Would gloves have to be strictly karate mitts or would mma sparing gloves be acceptable?
    2. are there any restrictions on the takedowns? Other than spearing obviously.

I may have to cancel my cruise with my local gymnast team but i think both of those months are free to me.

Oh and i chuckled at the sig :cool:

6. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

So is it mitts and instep or just mitts?

Grabbing the kick should be counter in 3seconds if you ask me

Sweeps (both front and back leg) and are drop sweeps allowed? If so can you strike the person on the floor as they drop?

Take downs is the flying scissors takedown allowed? ;)

7. Llamageddon

Takedowns would have to be initiated by some kind of kuzushi waza (unbalancing technique). After that, limited use of the hands etc would be allowed.

So, eg:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v38XQJgK7W0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v38XQJgK7W0[/ame]

Spears, shoots for the legs etc would not be allowed, considering they won't be found in any karate rulesets.

As for MMA vs karate mitts, I'm thinking it should be ok considering we wont be aiming to make heavy contact, but I'm also thinking it might be an idea to formalise the protective wear required. I'm not really fussed about instep protection, but if there's a consensus for it, I'm fine with that (if I can borrow a pair!)

Doug: I was thinking 3 seconds myself.

Can't find a vid right now, but for example managing to catch a high kick, sweeping out the supporting leg and at least helping the opponent complete a semi-controlled fall I think would be acceptable.

a strike to the ground is certainly allowed, but it should be classed as a finishing strike in karate terms (i.e the final punch).

If you can do a crab claws takedown, you win everything.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUI6KxOHIYM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUI6KxOHIYM[/ame]

The other thing I'm thinking is that it would probably be beneficial to have ability classes, if not weight divisions, especially considering I'm only 70-72kg ;)

Ooh another consideration - where do we stand on awarding for a clean technique with respect to clear hikite etc?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  8. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

One of my instructors used to do a jumping crab scissor takedown... Suicidal move in a non-compliant environment, but an astonishing demonstration technique!

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

right so with the takedowns your basically allowed to use your hands once they're unbalanced to sort of help them on their way?
    It's more a case of i cant afford to splash out on a pair of karate mitts and both essentially do the same job. But i do appreciate its a karate meet so I'm more than happy to borrow a pair or save up if i have to

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Presumably there will be a few people there who might be ok to share mitts if necessary? Or is that a taboo in arts that use mitts?

11. d0ugbug

I can bring a bag full of spare kit semi contact gloves and karate mitts :)

Llam you know you have just challenged me to do that take down at some point now! (ive only done it twice in a comp) lol

I was guessing from a catch if you took them down to aid them to the floor in a controlled way not just drop em ;)

All sounds good to me. I also think a good rule addition should be running out of the area gets 10 seconds added to the clock (as that seems to be the latest trend at the moment when your ahead run out of the area to burn time)

12. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I have a couple of spare pairs of old mitts and shins (not instep) that are still usable, just remind me to wash them before I lend them out. :p As for gear borrowing, anyone is welcome to whatever I have - I do draw the line at my gum shield though.

For protective wear, your standard mitts or equivalent, boxes/ladies chest guards, shin pads(although I've never been fussed with them) and gum shield is all we will need really.

13. d0ugbug

Weight classes are good but it may end up merging what Ive done is this for mine :

Adult Men : -63kg -68kg -74kg -79kg -85kg +85kg

Advanced Men (brown/black) : -79kg +79kg

14. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Isn't it usually out of the area three times gets half a point or something? I'd prefer ten seconds, points are dumb. :p

15. Llamageddon

Southpaw: you're more than welcome to borrow my mitts. I have no particular attachment to them anyway!

Aegis: Yahara himself said it's a last chance saloon kind of move

16. Llamageddon

Looks perfect to me. Although I don't think we'll get massive numbers so we can always boil it down to two or three broad churches. I've got no problem going up against beefcakes.

17. d0ugbug

Yeah but recently if you was losing 5 - 4 and there was 10 seconds on the clock the person who is winning would run out the area to waste time and get a warning and it would be time up. Losing you that 10 seconds where you could come back

So in that instance I've added 10 seconds to the fight for running out but do it 3 times and your disqualified

18. d0ugbug

I don't think we should worry about the weight aspect just pair people up to a similar skill level is good enough I think

So in karate terms im a novice! Bonus :evil:

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

On topic bit: Let's do November if poss! Might as well do it while there's lots of enthusiasm.

Of topic bit: I love the first clip in that video - how to get "kuzushi" on your opponent, kick 'em in the face! :D

20. Llamageddon

first bit - damn right!
    second bit - damn right!