MAP karate meet?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Llamageddon, Aug 31, 2009.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Good luck guys, particularly with getting full insurance coverage for the event.

An MA comp between fighters of varying styles / associations - not run by any governing body - no accountability - no accreditation of referees!!!:eek:

Quite frankly sends shivers down my spine.

The whole thing has got car crash written all over it.

But each to their own I guess.

Gary

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

By car is very easy (the post code is on my club link)
    As for public transport the nearest stations are Perry Barr & Hampstead Though bus or lift would be required from either , buses are pretty available from most directions , the stops being a couple of minutes walk.

3. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Please... As long as all fighters abide by one set of rules you can mix any fighting style you wish to have on the mat.

Having 0 accreditation referees is not a problem.

You dont have to be a governing body to have insurance or run a MA event.

Accountability will be held by the person who insures the event, and all that requires is to fill in a form post off and job done

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Am I the only one who would do it without insurance? :D
    Seriously though where are we on about this being?

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Sparring meet, not a comp per se.

Insurance? No problem. Most generic MA insurance makes no distinction on styles. People like BBI and AMA hold inter-style comps on a regular basis. Governing bodies? Not needed. The whole 'must be linked to sport england and sports council line' is illegal.

Referee accreditation is a joke. Who accredits referees? Their own governing bodies. Who accredits them? No-one - it's 'in house'. Is there a nationally recognised course for referees that can be applied? Quid custodit custodes?

6. Southpaw535

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Well we've all heard about you and those wandering hands of yours. Keep them to yourself.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  8. Southpaw535

Eh? I never touched up brum!!

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Further to what jwt has said this was never intended to be a sanctioned comp. It was meant to be a chance for like-minded karate-ka to get together to discuss rules etc and have a 'kick about' so to speak. So I'm certainly not worried about insurance or 'accredited' judges, as the meet isn't going to be a massive comp. In fact, the biggest prize I was thinking of was a pint for the winner down the pub afterwards!

10. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Awesome....this place doesn't change! :p

I'm in depending where I am at the when, can one of you who has me on facebook give me a shout once that's settled please thank you?

As to rule sets, no need to really complicate things IMO....Since its just a casual meet why not keep it that way and decide the "rules" between the two participants, before each match/spar ie how heavy, take downs, don't punch me in the face because its too pretty etc.

It seems most people who are interested are either Karate or a stand up style, so as long as everyone is clear on the big no no's, we should all be on the same page. That's my thoughts anyway.....:)

11. Southpaw535

I just don't change being a perv :p
    Yep no worries

12. Llamageddon

Right dudes, just to make some things clear:

It's going to be a karate meet, no kind of competition or mixed styles. If you want to turn up to muck around within a karate ruleset cool, but the meet wasn't intended for anything else.

We can decide rules beforehand or when we're there, I'm easy. If I remember correctly it was to see what rules we think there should be in the big karate tournaments. Perhaps if we come to a consensus we could put an article up on here?

13. Southpaw535

So just a general meet that might end up with a bit of mucking about? sounds fine by me

14. Llamageddon

Well a general karate meet, yeah. For the purpose of it see my first post. Don't take bits about competition or tournament literally

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Erm, thread title? First post? Is it a friendly tournament with sparring under karate rules or not? Would similar styles who wanted to broaden their experience and share ideas be welcome or not? :confused:

Mitch

16. Llamageddon

you may have a point there :p

I should be clearer - not looking for some kind of sanctioned cage match or anything to that effect.

Hope that sorts out any confusion :)

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That may have been my fault as I know dougbug has one and at one point might have been hosting the event. I put 2 & 2 together and came up with 17:cool:

18. d0ugbug

Your all welcome to come down to my welsh open on the 27th of this month if you fancy a crack at other styles. I'll PM anyone rules etc

19. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hehe... Fight Club??... No hold on, I thought the first rule of fight club was never to talk about Fight Club... OK sparing meet.

Although I have competed in many comps, I have never held one of my own. I could be wrong, but I am sure the your bog standard "Instructor/club" indemnity isn't going to cover it due to the increased levels of risk.

I will read the small print of my Perkins Slade policy, but I bet a pound to a penny that you have to take out separate event coverage for these sort of gigs.

Either way, as you say you can't afford to experiment with these things.

Try telling Karate England that!!. If they had their way, you would not be permitted to don a Gi if you weren't part of their group.

It depends who you train with. Some groups place a great deal more emphasis on fostering a good judging and referring ethos' than others.

Of course there will always be differences of opinion when it comes to the particular game that you want to play, but as far as the depth of training and selection criteria that referee have to go through - the WKF judging and referring courses are very stringent.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I guess that qustion could be asked of any self regulating sport even FIFA?

Gary

20. d0ugbug

Bold bit first :

You take out additional insurance valid for that event, it can normally be purchased from your broker all you do is give them the venue date and type of event along with some other info and your covered from 1,5 and 10 mil (more you pay higher cover you have)

Referee : (no offese here)

Please don't be brain washed by any org offering referee coursers when you move you have to do them all over again no org is better than any other at them.

Half of the referees on the circuit are c*ap and they are ment to be A Class, offering compulsory referee and judging course are a good way to make money