MAP karate meet?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Llamageddon, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Considering the discussion of kumite rules, and my necessary no-show at the MAP meet, the idea of having a little karate get together popped in to my head. Maybe we could have a whip round to fly fishy and mitlov over, and we could then debate a new set of awesome karate rules using the time honoured way of the fist. And crying, sulking and stamping feet...

Regardless of this taking place or not, what events should we have, and what different rules should we have to maker karate even awesomememer?

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Sounds good , do you have any ideas for location ?

3. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Atlanta, GA? Too much to ask, I suppose...

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm going to ask a stupid question: Would you have to be a kareteka to participate? I like the idea personally.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Where should we host it? Let me put it this way: the photos taken in "southwestern Oregon," "Takilma," and "Ashland" are all in my immediate vicinity:

http://www.larrysgallery.com/2.html

And all of this is a half-hour from where I am:

http://www.whiteweasel.net/trips/vac2001a/index.html

As for the rules, I'd like to see full-contact continuous sparring with some degree of protective gear (ideally including Kudo spaceman helmets so I don't end up any uglier than I already am).

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

As for location I was thinking somewhere in the UK. Perhaps somewhere central and well connected? Brum springs to mind...

As for non karate-ka entering, I think it'd be ok, but it'd be an entirely karate-oriented ruleset, and partially for fun, partially to see what rules work better than others.

(didn't actually think I'd get proper serious responses! I'm chuffed!)

Very early stages, but maybe we could have some kind of collection to help finally get MAP's server up and running... :p

7. Southpaw535

Its a good idea. we have map meets and seminars so why not tournaments?

8. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Largely because we're not in any way licensed or insured to host a tournament in the site's name, and would feel rather uncomfortable if anyone were to get hurt in a sparring-based event set up in our name without being under our control.

I'm more than happy for MAP to be associated with an event like this, but another school or individual would have to be listed as the organiser and host, I'm afraid.

9. Southpaw535

Fair play

10. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Why don't you class it as a "open" or freestyle event but focus heavily on the rules you want to include. Thats what I've done for my event held late september if you fancy a trip to cardiff ;)

Id be happy to cover the insurance for the day on the venue and provide some mats

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'd be game for taking part - I guess somewhere central-ish with good transport links would be good for location?

12. callsignfuzzy

(Pssst... the US is the center of the universe. Can't get more central than that. Just sayin'...)*

*Statement made in irony, for those who like to take such things too seriously.

13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm really ticked off that nobody seems to want a vacation in beautiful, scenic southern Oregon.

14. callsignfuzzy

Well, before anyone heads to Oregon, I have a buddy that lives in Grant's Pass (about 40 minutes away), and according to him, there are Sasquatch that will kidnap you in the middle of the night. Now IIRC, Sasquatch rate just below Giant Squid, and we know you don't want to tangle with them.

On the other hand, Atlanta has great music, great food, and an airport, which Oregon probably lacks entirely. And it's a much shorter trip from the UK.

Go big. Go ATL.

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Josephine County (where Grants Pass is located) is a cross between Red Dawn and Deliverance. You can tell him I said that ;) Jackson County (where Ashland and Medford are located) is A River Runs Through It with a dash of Shakespeare in Love.

And Oregon DOES have an airport. Biplanes and zeppelins land there all the time. How dare you suggest we don't have modern conveniences?!

16. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

ah, but if you guys have a UK based you won't be able to get your best member there. Me...

*cricket sounds* Man, I was hopin for a little support there.

Here's a possibly stupid question. Could we bring non-MAPers as guests, say from our dojo?

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Are you talking about bringing a chimpanzee?

18. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

nooo, the chimpanzee is obviously a MAPer

19. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

so woudl we be talking traditional karate comp or FSK type comp

20. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

As discussed, we would be coming up with a ruleset we could all agree with.