MAP Check-in for everyone

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alansmurf, May 20, 2020.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Further to my second Pfizer jab a week ago - besides a sore arm for a day longer than the first jab, I had no side effects and was back at work amongst the great unmasked hordes on Friday.

Alansmurf, Mitch and axelb like this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I had my second moderna jab a couple of weeks back and it did me in for 2 days. Had it on a friday morning, went to TKD that evening and by 11pm was curled up shivering with cold sweats and joint aches. Basically had the weekend in bed feeling rubbish. First jab just gave me a sore arm but the second got me.

Alansmurf likes this.
  3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Mrs Xue was concerned about having a fever fo 4 days, she went and got a Covid test...... a week ago today she got the J&J vaccine. Today she tested positive for Covid....10 days quarantine.

I had my vaccine months ago and I currently feel like I have a bad cold....if I get much wore I too will get a test.... otherwise I just stay in for 10 days....

Alansmurf likes this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

That's explains things Due. I hope she feels better soon.

I read about the statistics with people who contract covid with the vaccine is often within the first week due to being in a busy location for the vaccination.

Alansmurf likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

When I got my vaccine I was thinking that actually, here I am with hundreds of people getting varoious vaccines......if I get it, it will be here.

But I didn't get it there, my wife may have though. She is doing ok, her fever has dropped. As for me, I feel like have a bad cold. And it now its official, the county heath department quarantined us toady until August 8

Alansmurf and axelb like this.
  6. Xue Sheng

My wife is doing much better and all I have is an annoying cough, but at least it is not waking me up at night any longer.

Quarantine ends August 8

Alansmurf, hewho, axelb and 3 others like this.
  7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Nearly there

8. Xue Sheng

Talking with my family MD today about Covid and the vaccine. He said that the vaccine is not a guarantee you will not get covid. However it has been about 96% effective at keeping people who get Covid, from ending up with a serious case or in the hospital. He was not at all surprised that my response to Covid was just a bad head cold due to my vaccination. He also said Pfizer and Moderna appear to be better at minimizing the effects of covid that Johnson & Johnson.

I also told him that if I had it to do over again I'd get Pfizer. He then told me there was a discussion going on about giving people who got the Johnson & Johnson 1 does of pfizer, should they desire. Part of that discussion is why just gve them one and not give them the full 2 shot regiment

axelb likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Vaccination just means your body is much better prepared to fight the infection, so your sickness will probably be shorter, and you have the capacity to spread it to less people.

On a population bases, the reason why everybody isn't being vacinated with Pfizer (which is currently the gold standard of vaccines), is because it has a short expiry date, is hard to move with destroying it, and has to be kept very very cold, (standard freezers arnt cold enough) and the supply is very limited.

The reason why people arnt getting Pfizer after their Johnson vaccine, is that each vaccine is licenced for a standard course they we know works, because of the clinical trials, JandJ was a one shot deal, so it's licenced accordingly, all the new trials that have gone on, have been about booster jabs ontop of the original course, individually it wouldn't matter to double dose someone, but if you did the entire population of a country (which is the aim) your doubling the amount of doses needed, and currently demand still outstrips supply.

When you add that to the fact the majority of the world hasn't even had single jabs yet, and that's where the next varients will rise. On a population basis, once individual countries hit herd immunity levels, we need to be getting any spare doses into the arms of the people in poorer countries who havnt had any yet.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  10. Xue Sheng

Japan is not even at 50% vaccinated yet and I believe the US is not at 60% fully vaccinated yet. The poorer countries don't stand a chance yet

11. Dead_pool

Which also means the richer countries will continue to import more dangerous varients too.

We're not safe, until we are all safe.

Wierdly the US are now having large amounts of vaccines expire without being used due to a) logistics and B) the large amount of people not taking up the offer of vaccination.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/07/27/coronavirus-vaccine-waste/

We're also having that problem, but to a much lessor extent due to our centralised supply and booking platform.

The UK is currently on 90% of the adult population have had at least one dose, and 74% of adults have had had two doses.

So that's good, once we get to the high 80% of the entire population vaccinated, we should be safe from the current varients, until we import in a more dangerous one.

12. Xue Sheng

US is discussing not allowing anyone in that is not vaccinated....of course with the illegal immigration at the southern border that will be real hard to enforce

13. Xue Sheng

As of midnight last night (EST) I am free. My Covid Quarantine is over. But this dang cough won't go away and it all culminated into a sinus infection. On an antibiotic for the sinus issue. But overall, I feel pretty good. Now, back to work with this stupid knee

14. Xue Sheng

Covid quarantine over..... knee still not right.......Now on vacation.....kind f have been since Tuesday, but it actually started today ... after I shut off my work phone and threw is in my duffle bag

Alansmurf likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

The majority of the people who are in the us have just overstayed their visa, so only letting people fly in who are jabbed would be a great help.

A bigger problem is really vaccine hesitantly, and the politicisation of mask mandates and getting the jab.

Edit I've just checked, the daily rate increase for Mexico is currently 20% that of the US per 100,000 people, you'd be as safe hugging 5 Mexicans as you would 1 average American right now.

It's interesting how people perceive risk isn't it.

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Well I've started climbing again and the university freshers all had their first session at a local wall today. The place was heaving and I was the only person in the building wearing a mask, even while doing my warm-up climbs. Took my mask off when it got quieter but a few hours later I've started coughing. Strange coincidence, eh? Booked in for a drive-thru test tomorrow but I'm not impressed.

Alansmurf, Dead_pool and Grond like this.
  17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I always cough when training, but that's normal because naturally your lungs are expunging crap they take in literally 24 hours a day. Everything from lint to dust to who knows what.

Wearing a mask does have a downside when training, if you have a lack of oxygen while training this can lead to muscle mass loss. Honestly, if you're sick or feel sick, never go to the gym. That's my motto and it's kept me alive, and maybe others all these years.

Alansmurf and Anth like this.
  18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I'm quite used to wearing a mask while doing physical stuff now anyway - sling a couple of tons of beer from pallet to shelf in half an hour wearing a mask and my climbing warm-ups don't get close to that. Went for a test earlier today and it gave me time to get some housework done with not being able to go out. The last couple of times I've had a test I've had the result early the next morning so we'll see what the score is in 12 hours.

Alansmurf and Grond like this.
  19. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Doing pretty well here. Taking a break from Hapkido training until Covid settles down, but that's given me a chance to relearn my old WTF TKD patterns, which has been fun. Got vaccinated and plan to do the booster when I am eligible.

Mitch, Anth and Alansmurf like this.