Maori fighting arts

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Abraxas, Jun 30, 2004.

1. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Sweet as Abraxas ,Still havnt been able to catch up with my contacts ,Once i do will update this post with my findings.If you have any Q"s on the article or anything feel free to ask & will do my best to answer you accurately.
    cheers Riki

2. Gerry

Gerry New Member

Hi there

I stumbled across this last week in my websearch and am happy to assist, I realise this is also a late contribution, so if you already have enough details then that's fine too.

I do taiaha training with Te Whare Tu Taua o Aotearoa, Paora Sharples and Co., our branch is situated in Wellington. We will be holding a Mau Rakau Wananga in a few weeks time at Koraunui Marae, Stokes Valley - from 29/10/04 - 31/10/04, people are welcome to come and participate/watch/support. What specifically would you like to know? How can I help?

3. Abraxas

Abraxas New Member

Well Gerry, what can you tell me? :D

To be honest, I'd love to hear ALL about it! But, to make the task a little easier, perhaps you could tell me a little about how training is structured. What weapons do you learn and in what order? Are there empty-hand elements and, if so, where do they fit into the curriculum?

That should do for starters. :D

Cheers in advance.

4. Gerry

Gerry New Member

Mau rakau

Well there's much to tell, it would be even better if you were able to attend an event and see for yourself, nothing quite like the real thing, however I know in this case its not feasible.

Well we use a stick (rakau) with a height from ground to chin. Both ends of the stick is padded for protection against the blow. We use cricket gloves to protect our knuckles. The stick is our main weapon, however we invariably use our fist and legs as well.

Level 1 (Poutahi), we consider the most important level. It is the foundation for setting up our fight structure. We learn how to jump and maneuver our feet (considered very important to the fight), balance is certainly the key here. We also learn how to block and strike with the stick and yes we do start fighting right from the very first level. We must learn the parts of the taiaha and what each part plays in the fight. The 3 main parts to the taiaha - head, body and tail (translated: whakarehu, tinana, ate). The head is the pointed end used in a stabbing like motion, the tail is a wider flatter end use for gouging and sometimes cutting and the main end used for striking. The Body is mainly used for blocks, these 3 areas do vary as you progress in level though. The taiaha also has a spiritual element to it (very important), so we learn special prayers (karakia) as we go through our levels – for me personally this has provided a mental, spiritual and physical balance – one of the main reasons I do this. In the old days the taiaha became a like to its owner (the warrior), you and the taiaha become one. This still applies. In level 1 we learn to strike 9 different areas of the body, as well as jabbing/stabbing 3 areas forward using both the head and tail end of the stick (rakau/taiaha). You can compare this to Staff fighting, however it does differ quite substantially. Overall, there are 8 different levels. Starts at Poutahi (level 1) through to Pouwaru (level 8). Each level gets more and more difficult to learn. We also need to increase our knowledge in the Maori language and Maori customs as we progress, it is all part of the curriculumThere is so much to learn in mau rakau and it really is a beautiful Art. There are many different components to this Art. From laying the rau during a welcoming ceremony (powhiri) – this ceremony is called a wero, through to an actual whaiwahi (fight). A good book I recommend you read is the one about Pita Awatere (written by his grand daughter, Hinemoa Awatere), a wonderful book full of information about mau rakau. Note: there are different styles of mau rakau fighting, the one I have briefed is one taught by Te Whare Tutaua o Aotearoa, derived from the learnings of Pita Awatere. It is also believed that in the old days women did not fight with taiaha, however this has been and still is debated I know that some of my ancestors (women) faught with taiaha. We do play a major part in taiaha these days.
    I hope this helps, I can’t really explain too much, People have to be willing to learn about this properly (it is the Art of War), like our ancestors the only way to pass this down is orally / face-to-face. Do they have a club setup where you are?

Ma te wa (until next time)
    Gerry

5. Abraxas

Abraxas New Member

Gerry, thank you. That gives me an excellent idea of what you do. I'd love to study the style but, unfortunately, while I know there's a fair few New Zealanders here in Tokyo, I'm not aware of any clubs teaching the system. Who knows, maybe one day soon I'll be able to make it to New Zealand myself.

Just one question (until I almost certainly think of some more!), and it's probably a daft one, is it unusual for those of non-Maori descent to practice mau rakau, or is it a fairly mixed race affair these days.

I'll look out for the book you mentioned. Do you know the title of it?

6. Gerry

Gerry New Member

Mau Rakau

No worries, hope it serves you well!

It would be good if they do start in Tokyo, we have expanded out to Europe and I think the Islands and I have heard of someone by the name of Josh (sorry don't know his last name) who started this in Europe has now moved to Japan, but I don't know his details, with any luck he has started something there.

Yes, anyone can practise mau rakau no matter what descent. If your heart is in it properly, it'll work well for you.

The book is "A soldiers story" - Pita Awatere. Written by Hinemoa Awatere.
    There's a picture of a soldier on the front, that's Pita.

Well all the best with your search. The Art of Mau Rakau also involves sharing, so ask what you wish I will answer what I can.

Ma te wa
    Gerry

7. Abraxas

Abraxas New Member

Really appreciate it Gerry. And thanks for the book title. I have found and promptly ordered it so should hopefully have it in the very near future!

I'll probably have more questions shortly, so I'll speak to you again very soon.

All the best,