Manny Pacquiao v Antonio Margarito

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Tom O'Brien, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

I hope Manny puts a beatin on Margarito for his use of plaster in the gloves. I would not be surprised if he had the stuff in his gloves against Cotto also. It's comin up soon - 11/13. I hope Pac Man's political career has not been too much of a distraction.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. evojm72

evojm72 Valued Member

I don't think you've got much to worry about there Tom but I do wonder why Manny is fighting Margarito and giving him some semblance of credibility after his flagrant (and dangerous) cheating. Let hope he really wipes the floor with him :fight1:

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Here here! Go Manny! (chants of "kill kill kill")

I really really really really really want to see Manny vs Mayweather after this fight. Really bad.

My buddy, though, is worried that Margarito will pound Manny hard -- not necessarily beat him, but just give him a serious beat down. And then Mayweather will jump up and say, "I'll fight him now that he's hurt!" It's visions of Sugar Ray Leonard not fighting Marvin Hagler until he saw John Mugabi pummel him real good. Hagler won that fight, but he got hurt. That's what my friend is afraid of for Pacquiao.

4. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Good point aikiMac,

I think you are right. Mayweather has been ducking Pac Man, using the blood test BS. I don't think Margarito will hurt him though.

Thanks,
    Tom

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

i hope fagarito wins

6. puma

puma Valued Member

I think it's Pacquiao that's ducking Mayweather. I think Mayweather would have an easy time with him, I really do.

I'm sure Pacquiao will put on another good performance against Margarito, but I know some people out there think both these fighters are cheats.

7. TaeAno

TaeAno Certified Ninja

Nah Mayweather KNOWS he has too much to lose, that's why he's avoiding Manny at all costs. He probably doesn't think he'd lose easily (cause face it he's a good boxer) but he knows he'll have a hard time beating Manny. Go Pacquaio! I hope he beats Margarito!

8. Commander Nitro

Commander Nitro Valued Member

Not so keen on this fight. I think it's obvious that Pacquiao will win and I'm still hoping for a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Non sequitor.
    Whether or not Mayweather would have an easy time with Pacman is irrelevant. Mayweather is arguably one of the slickest defensive boxers of we've seen in decades. However he doesn't like to be pressured and Pacman can bring that kind of pressure AND has KO power in either hand coming in from odd angles.

On top of which... it's not Pacman trying to hold Mayweather to some sort of stipulation that no other boxer he's fought or is fighting has to be held accountable too....

So really... that some puts your idea of Pacman ducking Mayweather on its head.

Say wot?!
    Who worth their salt in the boxing world thinks Pacman is a cheat?
    Can you actually back that up?

:bang:

10. puma

puma Valued Member

You ain't heard about him being accused of taking performance enhancers? Or the fact he won't take the relevant tests to prove otherwise?

11. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

I think this is a tough fight for manny
    Margarito is big and strong and has a decent chin,
    He also knows this is make or break for him

12. slipthejab

Anyone can accuse anyone of anything. That's life. He's at the top and he didn't get there by fighting bums. Fact.

Why should he take any tests that any other boxer isn't required to take. Should people have to run out and take a test every time there is a rumor or a lot that is looking for reasons to duck a fight?

I think not.

What are these type of rumors based on? Please enlighten.
    Could it be that he's a top notch boxer who trains with the best has a good work ethic and is naturally talented?

Nawww.... couldn't be :rolleyes:

13. puma

puma Valued Member

I was just pointing out that there are some who think both are cheats. I like Pacquiao. Didn't think he was that great last time out, but then nobody can be fantastic every time. I personally don't believe he is a cheat, but on the other hand don't think he did boxing any favours by refusing a test that Mayweather himself was prepared to do. The drugs tests are out-dated. What does he have to hide? He could have really stuck it up Mayweather by agreeing to them, and do boxing a hugh favour by proving the top ones are clean. What would the excuse not to fight be then? Why didn't he do it? Saying, "Why should I?" isn't good enough. I also think it is extremely disrepectful to say Mayweather is scared. You don't have his record, become a champ in 5 different divisions, etc, by being a coward. Why on earth would he be scared of Pacquiao? I don't think there is one thing he does better than Mayweather. Probably punches harder, but so what? So did a lot of people.

I see this fight with Margarito is at catch weight - again.

14. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Good point, should not get away with draining opponents like that/ certainly not for titles, this is a form of cheating in my opinion

15. slipthejab

Why does the onus fall on Pacman to submit to a test that no one else is required to test with?

Additionally the testing process is ridiculously flawed as evidenced by the video footage of the tests that Danny Green submitted to. What a joke. Who wants to risk ruining their reputation with a bunch of clowns that can't even properly seal a urine sample?

The issue is not what does he have to hide. The issue is why on earth would he submit to a test that on one else has to. I don't think any of the other opponents of Mayweather had to submit to the same test did they? (Perhaps the only one would have been Shane Mosely.

In America we in criminal court we are innocent until proven guilty. We don't live under Napoleonic code. Boxing doesn't work that way either. So to try to shove off the responsibility to Pacman is ludicrous.

Agreed it would have been good to see... but it's not something he's held to or bound by contract or even moral obligation. Mayweathers camp knows it's a great PR move to throw this into the mix as he knows its a dubious stalling tactic and that neither Pacman nor Roach will agree to it.

Well why should he? No one else in Mayweathers career is held to that standard are they? No one in Pacman's career is held to standard... yet now all of a sudden Mayweather decides to grandstand on the issue. Rubbish.

No it's not... what just because he's a champ means he's immune to fear or doubt? I don't think so. It doesn't work that way. Even champs have their fears and doubts. That is precisely part of what makes them so driven and why boxing so exciting because not only is the boxer fighting his opponent but also... in a very real way fighting his own fears and doubts.

Make no mistake Pacman is every inch the legend and more than Mayweather is... the record is conclusive on that:

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Pacquiao
    (all of which can be further verified on Box.rec etc.)

On top of which... he doesn't have a big mouth, is rather humble and shows a lot of respect for his opponents... unlike Mouth Mayweather who is either being coached by the powers that being the marketing of boxing/show business or he's just truly as insecure and the downright ass that he comes off as.

lol... detect a bit of bias on my part? :p

I don't like Mayweather's persona (50% insecurity/father-son issues and 50% media hype/marketing issues)... but as a boxer it's hard to fault him. He's as slick as they come. Not as aggressive as I like 'em but you can't have everything in one person. I'm a huge fan of the fact that he's defensively one of the slickest boxers ever. But he has plenty of reasons to worry about Pacman - not the least of which is getting rattled by a heavy shot of a fighter that only moves forward. He just barely regained his composure after getting rattled in the 2nd(?) round by Mosely.... Pacman hits harder, is faster and is skads more aggressive than Mosely is (especially in that bout!!) so to say that Mayweather doesn't consider those issues is silly. Of course he does... he's been in the ring long enough to know that Pacman is a threat.

16. slipthejab

Yeah in Pacman's fight against Cotto... the WBO pulled a funny move. Cotto was against a title fight at catch weight... but the WBO left him no choice but to fight it at a catch weight or get stripped of the title and Pacman could STILL fight for it!! Effectively forcing Cotto to fight a title fight at catch weight.

Ughhh... this is the side of boxing I hate.

17. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah. It's a shame because I think it is fairly clear that Pacquiao would have won that fight whatever they weighed.

18. slipthejab

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3GNU4_G1I"]YouTube - 24/7 Pacquiao Margarito: Extended Face-Off w/ Max Kellerman[/ame]

Yeah boy!! Here we go!!! Sit back and enjoy!!
    This is just classic. To see these two sat across from each other... given all the issues surrounding this fight and both fighters is awesome!!!
    If boxing had been putting together this type of show for boxing fans on the boxers... boxing wouldn't have slumped to the level it has in the modern day methinks!!

Check out the whole vibe at 3:40 when the commentator asks Roach what he thinks will happen!!!! Roach is frank and confident. Then check the expression on Margarito's coach and look what Margarito comes back with... 'we don't need stinkin' gloves!!!' hahahahahaha.... Man Margarito looks the typical bad ass bandido from TJ... ahhahaha... give him a sawed off shotgun, a bottle of Tequila and cue up the Mariachi band cabron!!!!... one tough dude. He emanates it. Pac has his work cut out for him.

Then check contrast and compare with Manny's style... he goes all bashful!! Ear to ear grin!! AHAHAHAHA!!! He even covers his face too hide his grins and chuckles... hahahaa... like I've always said... Manny always rocks up looking like a kid at a birthday party!! Priceless... and then he destroys you. :p This is what Ferdinand Magellan must have run up against when he landed with his Spanish galleons in Mactan, Philippines.

'Oh look, little brown smiling natives... this should be easy... oh wait what?!? GAH!!! Smash, cut, smash cut... woe is we!!!"...

hahahahahahahha!!!! :D

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  19. slipthejab

more for your viewing pleasure:

Chingon, Cabron, Peron!!!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4zjvOaRf4&NR=1"]YouTube - Antonio Margarito: Freddie Roach Is Scarred I'll Beat Pacquiao[/ame]

20. slipthejab

Amir Khan (who's now training with Roach) has his say on it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4i5PlgEo4&feature=related"]YouTube - Freddie Roach: Manny Pacquiao Will KO Antonio Margarito[/ame]