Man regrows (a bit of) his finger

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by LJoll, Apr 30, 2008.

1. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7354458.stm

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

At first read it sound pretty radical. I only wish they'd have shown a before and after photo. I'm curious just how much of the finger was missing and how much was regrown by applying the cell matrix to it.

They've been working on stuff like this for years and years... I can remember my dad working in a hospital when I was younger and telling me about skin they were trying to grow for skin graphs for burn patients. It was pretty amazing stuff then and I'm sure the science is only catching up these days.

Awesome.

Though a part of me wonders... if you burnished off a the tip of your **** in an industrial accident... and added cell matrix to it and grew back... what if you just kept the tip of it in a state of rawness and kept adding cell matrix and kept right on growing it?!?!?

Total babies arm holding an apple!!! :eek:

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

ROFL!!!!

Yeah this stuff is almost as cool as that guy who is working on curing cancer with radio waves.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

trials in buenos aire, W00T!!!

on another note, they say they can turn it into sheets as well as powder. if anyone's read the saga of pliocene exile, do you remember the tanu "skin"?

5. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

They do on the website, if you watch the little video that goes with it.

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Well Slippy, I just saw the before and after photos on the news. The before pic showed the finger looking like the mouth end of a Lamprey or a Leach. The entire tip of the finger was gone. The after pic showed a completely normal looking fingertip.

The medical "know-it-all" on the show made the statement that medically, this sort of "growth" can happen Pixie Powder or not. This sort of science is way beyond me but hell. We now use Super Glue as surgical glue!

***not gonna touch the whole "****" stuff***:cool: