Man arrested for 2x4 labeled "High Powered Rifle"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bronze Statue, Dec 21, 2012.

1. stormbringerr

stormbringerr truth against the world

i completely agree.
    also i dont hang around w/hard core conservatives, i live in austin which if anything, is super liberal.maybe thats the reason im more conservative. we really have some loonys that live here.austins motto is ( keep austin weird) i swear its true.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

There is a strange irregularity upon the term or description of liberal. In the 60's, hippies/the youth, did not desire to have government (“the man”) interfere with the public. Call it certain freedoms, liberals of that time period, did not desire to be under government control.

Nowadays, liberals seem to want more government intervention. And the oddity is, those same (from the 60's) liberals against the government, “the man”, are NOW part of the government or “the man” themselves

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've noticed this too. What seems to have happened is that the more right-wing media have twisted the use of the word 'liberal' to denote many things which are actually the complete opposite of what it actually means. (e.g. anti-freedom, pro 'big government' etc.) They seem to be trying to turn it into a buzzword for all things 'un-American' in the same way that they did with words like 'commie' in the 1950's.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Johno pretty much nailed it. When I did my politics A level* though we were taught two seperate branches of liberalism (positive liberty v negative liberty) and one did favour more government involvement than the other one. However in both cases one of the most basic foundations for Liberalism as an idealogy was that people should be allowed to do what they want unless it effected other people. I actually found Classical Liberalism as I was taught it to have a fair amount in common with Conservatism surprisingly. Differing opinions on the why certain things should be done, but in practice had some similiar ideas. You can get copies of John Stuart Mill's On Liberty dirt cheap on Amazon if you're that interested in what Liberalism really is.

But yeah, now its just used as a catch all term to mean anyone who isn't right wing. And in America it seems to be anyone who disagrees with the Republicans.

*I did only get a C so don't be surprised if someone comes in and tells me everything I write from now on is wrong :p

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

No, I really did nail it. ;) :D

The modern day Conservative Party is basically 'liberal' by the traditional use of the word. For example, they abandoned their support for economic protectionism in the 1840's (when they were still just the Tories) and became staunch supporters of free trade, which was traditionally more of a Whig doctrine. (I suspect that everything the Conservatives hold most dear are things which they were at one time passionately opposed to. Like democracy, and the NHS.)

It seems that way to me too.

6. stormbringerr

yes,you are right. even though i know many so called liberals that do have some good ideas.i cosider myself a libertine because i just want most gov. agencies to leave me alone.
    the media is to blame for a lot of problems at least creating problems when there really are hardly any to begin with.journalism has become more like a gossip mongering talk show these days.i grew up listing to real reporters like walter cronkite.i rarely watch t.v. these days,its a wasteland mostly.

7. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

In my opinion, the real political debate in the US is and always has been Libertarian vs. Totalitarian. Unfortunatly the totalitarians have had control over both parties for quite some time now. I have to laugh when I see my conservative friends talking about dictator Obama. Bush passed the patriot act, that is at least as much of a power grab as anything Obama has done.

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I think your right, there is some bright spots in the up and comers, at least they are "talking the talk", however it doesn't seem that the Libertarians can get a strong hold in the political arena. Why is that? if Americans want to have more freedom, you would think that there would be more Libertarian politicians in Washington. Anyone know?

9. Southpaw535

Vicious party loyalty would be my guess. See the Republicans deciding to block everything Obama did just because he's Democrat (thank you Johnno)

edit: misunderstood question. My bad

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Hard to get elected if no rich companies will fund you. Monsanto isn't gonna give money to a guy who will cut off their tax breaks and whatever other special benifits they get. If you get down to state and local levels, libertarians are much more common. Also I think their position on abortion causes many christians to refuse support, no matter how much they agree with the other stuff.

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think that hits the nail pretty firmly on the head. Big business isn't going to bankroll politicians who don't give them value for money.

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

He's actually a Democrat.

13. stormbringerr

america seems to be last to adopt any type of beneficial change. its as though we just cant let go of the old puritan which trials days.imo:mad:

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

The media don't want a 3rd party. Why, I don't know, but newspapers, tv, and radio vilify all 3rd party candidates. Example: Hugh Hewitt, a nationally-syndicated radio host, aired and discussed in detail the presidential debates last year, but whenever Ron Paul (nominally a Republican, but really a Libertarian) took the microphone, Hewitt stopped the feed, and killed time speaking himself. He will not give any outright-Libertarian candidate any time on his show, nor any candidate from any other 3rd party.

:dunno: I don't know why the media hates alternative political groups, but they do, and that leaves the population with the EXTREMELY strong feeling that no 3rd party candidate can be elected. Talk with "the man on the street," and he'll tell you that a 3rd party candidate can not be elected, so you're wasting your vote if you vote for one.

15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It's a lot easier to control two parties than to control three or more. And as long as the electorate has got a choice between two parties whose agenda's are largly set by big business, then big business wins whatever the result of the election. That's what they pay millions of dollars/pounds/roubles for. They're not stupid.

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

You're right.
    I vote Libertarian every time, but, oh well.

17. 47MartialMan

and the dems do it to the repubs as well

18. Southpaw535

That's party politics. I hate it whichever way it goes. I used that example because it was the one I remembered first and even though I'm used to different parties going out of their way to point out flaws and try to make things difficuilt to score points, I've never heard of one deciding to outright disagree on everything just 'cos.

19. 47MartialMan

I had a few relatives in politics. They simply vote stuff from their own party without concern in the other party made sense or not

20. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member