Making Peace With Mediocrity

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by OwlMAtt, Jun 27, 2011.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

:rolleyes:

I have looked him up and the first thing upon my search was this;

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21840&page=3

Geez, some people are too influenced, naive, and gullible.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

he was probably just a guest instructor. they've had loads of nuts come in as guest instructors and loads of pretty decent people from different styles but it doesnt make the guy an instructor for the SEALs, it makes him a one off guest instructor

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Just spent a "little" bit o' time doing just that.After reading quite a bit,including about Cucci's instructing both in the military and after his military service, I could find nothing to affirm that MT is THE main system used by SEALS, nor anything that recruits are encouraged to study same prior to enlistment. Again,nothing from official SEALS site confirms what you wrote regarding these things either.

He was an instructor for SEAL teams while in the Navy.Now he runs his own school,and while having students who are SEALS,he doesn't seem to be teaching teams,nor teaching any military in an official capacity-that is to say the military isn't sending him a cheque for services rendered.

Cucci's own teachings,including the program he and some others were teaching to military personnel during his naval career are mainly a blend of MT,JF/JKD and Kali-as a student of Inosanto,Chai,and Vunak that's not surprising. Nothing I read about this particular program which came from Vunak-(Cucci was one of three Vunak designated to carry on w/this particular SEALS program)- which is/was one of many used by SEALS,indicated that it was mainly MT based.

The Bullshido thread MM47 linked is quite informative about both Cucci and the SEALS h2h programs. Please note the plural.

So I done did enough searching to satisfy my skepticism was warranted.

4. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Thanks so much! I'm working on another post now.

5. Steel Accord

Steel Accord Valued Member

A healthy attitude to take, I think. After all, the master who thinks himself THE master, is no master at all.

I never wanted to be "as good as Bruce Lee" because frankly he was insane. And I use that in the nicest way possible, not that he was psychotic, unwise, or unkind, just that his determination was not only lifelong, it exceeded his borderline superhuman speed and strength in raw intensity.

Me though? I don't want to be Bruce, JCVD, Ryu, or Korra, I just want to be me. But! I want to be the BEST me that I can be.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Honestly, reading the article again makes me think settling for mediocrity is another way of saying you're afraid of hard work.

7. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Hi,
    I found this thread today and just read the whole thing.

The first thing to say is that the OP used the words "making peace with" not "settling for".
    To me the difference is the attitude more than the skill level.
    Making peace with, is a positive emotion and a comfortable place to be.
    Settling for, is a neutral emotion, if anything it's closer to a negative.

I'm in my 50th year on this planet, 35 of those I've practiced MA's.
    I don't think I could do 20 consecutive spin kicks anymore.:)

I no longer have such easy access to the level of instruction I once did. Due in part to my age, life commitments, location etc, but also because those "above" me are older and fewer.

As I've traveled my path, I've had the same dreams as most aspiring martial artists.
    To be a master, a black belt, a world champion, a teacher, a sifu, a sensei, a second dan, a third dan, a forth,, a fifth, or a disciple of a great master, an indoor student, a shaolin monk, the list goes on.
    But what I have always struggled with is my own personal limitations.
    Old story to follow:
    I remember I was about 25. I was a contender Not for a world title, but just for an association trophy. I'd won through 4 rounds of the knockout comp reaching the semi's.
    I was buzzing big time. You know it. Anway, the fight started well. I knew the guy and we liked each other, But it was also competition and we both wanted to win. I remember a left punch (he was a lefty) that clipped my nose and sent that nerve shock into my eyes. Five seconds that changed my martial arts path.
    He threw the same punch again, I had the buzzy tears in my eyes. I avoided the punch beautifully with a slight turn of the head, but he followed it through with his forearm/elbow and smashed the crap out of my lovely straight nose.
    It exploded like krakatoa. I just remember there was so much blood. I was on my knees with my hands cupped and the stuff was running down my arms.
    So carted off to the med centre. Yes sir, your nose is a mess.
    You will require a full rhinoplast and a septoplast operation.
    You must not fight in a competion like that again and you much avoid getting it broken at all costs.
    So 1 minute I was nearly chuck norris, the next minute my martial arts world appeared to be finished.
    I didn't quit in the end although for a while I found it very hard to accept that I could no longer seriously compete.
    But there were other paths within my arts to follow. I watched my teacher and saw how hard he worked in every training session. As a real ex world champion he'd achieved what I could only ever dream of. But he no longer competed either. He was exceptional in other ways now. His teaching, his knowledge and experience made me see that the trophy I so desperately wanted would always be the least important part of my martial arts life.

It truly was and still is the daily journey that matters to me.

This does not mean I am settling for mediocrity, it means that I am accepting my limitations, and making peace with myself, which I think the original artcle was trying to say.

8. herbert

herbert Valued Member

it's worth mentioning that in the 25 years since the fight, I've achieved several of the dreams listed, but also dismissed a few as unnecessary, unrealistic or just simply daft.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's better to refuse to accept limitations, and keep trying to overcome them, and fail, than it is just to accept them and not even try.

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I know this is off topic ( I am belltoller, after all ) but I've had rhinoplasty and an "attempted" septoplasty - which didn't work out so well - my nose is still caved in one one side.

Did they tell you what would happen if it were broken again?

Despite the poor condition of me snout, and failed septoplasty, I survived another break recently.

Last Spring/Summer I was giving one of my kids some baseball pitching practice ahead of a game when I lost sight of the baseball in the glare of the setting sun.

A regulation, American baseball is hard.

CRACK!

Broke the freaking thing. They heard it across the field.

But listen to this...the surgeon was going to operate on the wrong part of my nose! Despite the blood leaking from the crack up near the eyes, he wanted to operate on the collapsed/dev septum part, lol.

I walked out never to return. They didnt even set it. Said I had this and that wrong with it and needed to have a clot removed, etc.,. this time I didn't do any of it.

I'm fine. Still box.