MAI taking the micky

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Mar 16, 2005.

?

Should the fight video be posted ???

1. Yes I would like to see the video online

53 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No thanks I'd rather not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

You most certainly are :D And I am sure always will be. Although I don't like you much. :rolleyes:

All My Love

Lucy

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Don't apologise mate, you have done nothing wrong from what I have seen here. The only wrong-doing is coming from MAI.

3. Peter Bradbury

Peter Bradbury Valued Member

oh well, just have to avoid you on my grading then :p

Peter

4. Lucy O'Malley

Run boy run.....and do your homework. :woo:

By the way, I am still not your friend, but I thought I should tell you, not as a friend or anything.......You are doing a Black Eagle Style tournament in April, Courtesy of John Harvey and your good friend Pat has put you forward for it today. Everyone's invited.

I don't think you have much choice as it is a full instructor grading requirement....get it out the way now, is my advice.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  5. Peter Bradbury

Homework??? what homework??? :confused: i am doing honest.... for all those fun questions im going to have to answer while you throw big weapons at me :D

6. Lucy O'Malley

Just treat it like a demo.....you'll be fine :Angel:

All My Love

Lucy

7. Peter Bradbury

Such kind people....... hhhmmm...... well i supose it can be so bad *worried look*

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I have worked out where most of your statements have derived from and hopefully they are now explained in more detail Bob, but this one...... Had me pondering for some time.........???

(I'm sure John Harvey would not like to hear you make that statement, cutting him out of the loop, what are you like:rolleyes: )Just to clarify to the readers Bob Breen was the main instructor & influences of FMA in the 80's and early 90's in the UK of myself and John, but he did not set up or was responsible for Rapid Arnis Systems/International, there never has been as Bob Sykes quotes "a rapid Arnis UK".
    Then it occured to me that only one other person has ever made that statement before, he was wrong then. (he was a ladder climber at the time, and he is still trying to climb the old ladder's).

Nice to see some outside influences giving you bullets to fire:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: But what he did not tell you is, I proved him wrong on that occassion too way way back in the early 90's via another magazine "You know Bob, round about the same time I was writing numerous feature articles about authentic Filipino martial arts and answering many controversial questions backed up with fact and credentials in your letters page which you agreed helped to increase the readership at the time for your magazine, which in turn got you invloved in the Filipino martial arts, remember that Bob, Over 40 feature articles I believe and a lot of my own free time comming up to try to teach you and your club at my own expense". Maybe you should have used your editorial skills and journalistic prowess to check the facts and that result out too...

What is funny is: I know who he is:rolleyes: You should know better than to fire someone elses bullets. Tut tut......

Best wishes in all of your future exploits

Pat

9. TigerWolf

TigerWolf New Member

Go Pat, no-one should have to take that stuff, especially from a magazine... so kind of him... :woo:

10. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

Well he was looking at the thread a good while, but didn't reply...

11. Peter Bradbury

and has been on and off since he posted

12. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

What a mess all this is now, sounds like it has really go out of hand, I have never met Bob Sykes but do know of his abilities as a martial artist from way back, I am also a reader of MAI but made a point of not buying this months edition because I felt a bit let down myself. Now my point is now that this has appeared on a public forum how many other martial arts and fitness publications have also seen it and at some point the whole thing is going to appear in one magazine or the other at someone elses expense exagerated claims, muskets at dawn etc and my understang was that you were all mates! I would urge Bob to have his say and if necessary clear the air and to settle this either publicly via the forum now that every one else knows about it or privately with Pat and Lucy, so Bob if someone else is fueling your fire please sort it out, there is enough politics and pettiness in the arts as it is.

13. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

While I agree that Bob should respond to this thread and that, given the subject being discussed, a lot of people have shown a great deal of restraint while posting.

I want to remind everyone about MAP's Terms of Service regarding Inciting conflict (ToS 4.5.2). If Bob wishes to reply he can, please don't try & goad him into it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  14. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I think you are are dead right there.

15. karl tanswell

karl tanswell New Member

Having trained with Bob and Tony on a regular basis, all I can say is that they walk the walk. I have for many years observed Bob promote a huge percentage of todays prominent martial artists.

His integrity is second to none and just because he is editor of Martial Arts Illustrated does not mean that he should not make available the rope for people to use as they wish. Some people will play tug of war, one side opposing the other, some people will use it to pull others up, and some people will just hang themselves.

I have been involved in martial arts for quite a few years and witnessed a mass array of negativity that I myself have also been drawn into. On becoming aware of this fact, I for one realise this is not the most healthy approach. It amazes me, whether right or wrong, how people group together rather than peek through the veils of illusion that stifle their awareness.

How many people on this thread have actually, personally, met face to face the people involved? I have met both Pat and Bob. What people say on forums and how they behave in real life are rarely the same thing. Usually when you strip away the illusions most things are very different from how they at first seem.

Lots of love
    Karl

16. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

And so surely on a forum where people judge words more harshly than in real-life due to the more impersonaql aspect of it all... surely writing a post such as Bob's was not a good idea... and did not display a mature, spiteless, or reasonable character no matter which way you read it. It was harsh through and through.

17. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Hi Karl & Welcome to MAP

Sorry that your 1st post has been in a thread along these lines. I hope you decide to stick around a while & contribute to the other threads.

18. Lucy O'Malley

Not too sure what Karl is trying to say. His post could be read from either angle. Maybe you can clarify what you mean. I'm just a girl, a little bit dim some might say. Well I have to be, being married to Pat. :D

I am sure Pat was only clearing the air in a calm and dignified manner, which is his right to do so. I never got the impression that he was questioning anyones abilities or credentials at any stage.

I understand that magazines have to sensationalise articles, in order to make it good reading and sound more exciting, this is not a problem. But there is a difference between sensationalising and misleading. I think Pat felt it was misleading and responded appropriately.

It was never the intention for people to boycott the magazine. I personally feel MAI is one of the better MA Magazines and has plently of top class contributors. I would not like to see this affect peoples views on other well planned and informative articles. A mistake was made, Pat had his views on it which I am sure Bob has too.

Just the way Bob responded was a surprise to say the least. I personally hope he apologises to Peter Bradbury, be it in on here or privately. I am not even suggesting he apologises to Pat, everything that needs to be said has been said. Opinions may differ, but this was no reason to get so nasty towards a young lad that has attended his club for many years. I never usually post on here, I just did not like to see a nice young lad being picked on because of someone elses dissagreement over an article.

Both opinions should have been put across and left at that. :bang:

Peter has apologised for his thread, which Pat knew nothing about. Had he of asked Pat before hand, Pat would of gladly told Peter what he knew of his background, as he has always spoke highly of Bob anyway.

I hope anything I have said, has only been fair. If I unknowingly caused offence I can only apologise myself. As I'm sure Pat would too.

Just to let Bob and everyone else know, I still fully support the magazine and I hope everyone else will too.

All my love to everyone :love:

Lucy

19. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Karl Tanswell - Let's cut to the chase here: are you saying that it was right to publish that report as it was and not the real situation, or are you implying that what was reported in the magazine WAS the real situation and that Pat is lying? That is after all, the cause of this entire disagreement.

20. karl tanswell

karl tanswell New Member

I am not saying either of those things.

As I was not there, I cannot comment on the "real situation". I can only comment on what I know of the people concerned.

All I am suggesting is that people should reserve judgement rather than jumping on the bandwagon.

I reinforce the question - who are you talking about that you've actually met and had first hand experience with? Things can come across in a very different light when you know the people involved.

And by the way Adam McGuigan, just call me Karl...

lots of love
    Karl

PS - rope for sale, £1 per metre ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.