Mae Mai & Luk Mai Techniques....

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Singto Laaw, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Singto Laaw

Singto Laaw Strictly Muay Thai

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How many of you get the opportunity to practice these techniques?
    I am interested to know, if people are still being taught the techniques.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

no. and with reason- when was the last time you saw someone pull that in the ring? especially the first technique, that is ASKING for a clobbering.

3. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Yes I have been shown those. Try a flying headbutt, now that's cool.
    We've all done some mae mai and luk mai techniques, but just don't realize it.
    As for Ling Lum, that probably won't be seen in a ring anytime soon so forget it. Thai boxing is just a small subset of the mother art and most folks stick with kicking and punching these days. However I wouldn't rule out the possibility of someone executing such classical techniques in the ring. It might surprise your opponent.

4. Chang Lung

Chang Lung New Member

We were taught these at Thai Diamond by Noppadon, (see searching for Noppadon posted 15-09-04). He enjoyed teaching us these techniques as much as we liked learning them. :)

Since then I trained for a couple of years at a well known Thai Camp in central London. Sadly being very western, (& commercial), there is not a lot of room for Thai traditions or techniques from Ling Lum/Muay Boran etc. :cry:

Agree with Nicolo's last comment, a lot people new to Muay Thai will not realise the vast range of techniques from the Thai art, unless they are fortunate to have a teacher/trainer of good "pedigree"

5. Singto Laaw

Now them last three posts depress me....

Ikken do you ever perform the wai kru?

Nicolo, try the flying reverse butt technique, that always keeps me amused.

Chang Lung, I hope one day I will be considered a trainer of pedigree.

All thirty techniques are included into our grading syllabus, and another 30 or so a taught to hopefully cover as many of the original techniques as possible.

I can understand now, why Thailand is fighting so hard to try to spread the word of Muay Thai. These techniques are considered an integral part of Muay Thai, not just something extra that you learn.

You might not ever use them, but please please, learn them! Dont let it fade out!!

6. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

LOL! Flying reverse butt? haha you mean "Queen Monto Sits on a Chair" movement? That actually does work, but you need to time it right and when the kick comes, turn and do a butt bomb so he falls. :p

7. darran

darran New Member

I kinda agree with Singto that it is part of Thai fighting but where fighting is concerned most of the techniques in Mae Mai and Luk Mai require great timing to do.

My Ajarn in Thailand thought it best to teach me basics, have a fight then see how I did in the fight and go on from there. If I lost (which I have done) he would go back to where we were before the fight and train me again. He never progressed unless I was absolutely ready for it. He was Lumpinee champion in his fighting days and knows that timing is essential for any technique... as techniques become more complex then your skill as a fighter has to be pretty good.

In professional boxing gyms in Thailand they dont dwell on fancy stuff, they train hard at what is proven to work in the ring and that which requires minimum effort and thought. This is professional Muay Thai - the ring sport. You do sometimes see Mae Mai being performed in the ring but its always by experienced fighters who know about and have developed timing. I love Mae Mai Muay Thai, even the most complex technique isnt that complex, its the timing issue that makes the techniques difficult... timing.

The first technique (in the pic) is possible, if opponent knees or kicks me and I use his leg to propel me upwards to strike him, whats wrong with that? However its the timing issue, you are not going to want to do that in a real fight unless you have great timing. The other techniques are very doable.

http://www.muaythai.com <--- my favorite site containing techniques from Mae Mai and Luk Mai.

http://www.muaythai.com/En/Konmuay/Hanumanfad.html <---- very nice throw.

http://www.muaythai.com/En/Konmuay/Rueseemudsra.html <---the flying headbutt.

http://www.muaythai.com/En/Konmuay/Praramayeablongka.html <--- this one would probably land you in prison for breaking someones leg.

http://www.muaythai.com/En/Konmuay/Hanumankamlongka.html

http://www.muaythai.com/En/Konmuay/Naraikamsamud.html <--- taekwando ring any bells here?

I agree with singto, standards of Muay Thai in western countries are low, we need all the techniques to be taught, clinch and grappling/striking in clinch range to be a regular part of every class.

some interesting facts on Muay Thai:

8. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Yeah most of this stuff, albeit fanciful, has been stripped for purposes of the ring. But they do require good skill and I guess it's always nice to learn more.

"Prarama Yeab Longka" (http://www.muaythai.com/En/Konmuay/...yeablongka.html) isn't the leg break, it's the "Breaking the Diamond Pillar" gkon where you grab the opponent's leg, put it between yours and sit down hard. They actually showed that technique in "Ong Bak" too!
    The flying headbutt is the probably the only known technique to use muay Thai's 9th weapon.

9. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

A lot of the techniques in that particular textbook "Mae Mai Muay Thai" (I think that was the title...) are actually still in use today, but slightly modified for the ring. But the essence of the technique is still there.

10. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

We still learn them every now and again but do not practise them for long. Imagine being able to pull off the "elbow to the top of the head while standing on the leg" move. You'll be the don! :D

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

no i dont perform the wai kru. I could learn it, and wear the armbands and headband, but i am not a thailander and I am not a buddhist. I respect what they do but I am not going to try and emulate someone elses culture when I am not a part of it. thats disrespectful in my book.

12. Singto Laaw

My Kru from Sorvorapin used to say to me, "if I didnt use the ninth weapon properly, I would never succeed!"

The ninth weapon is not necessarily using your actual head, its more whats inside that counts.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  13. Singto Laaw

But you are gonna emulate their Martial Art, which is an integral part of their Thai Culture?

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

so because a martial art comes from a certain country I have to "become" a thai to practice it?

Now don't get me wrong. I have huge respect for thailands fighters. They are true warriors in a world where most martial artists do it simply for bragging rights, and I admire them for conviction and will. but I am not, and never will be a thai. I am not a buddhist- my teacher is not a buddhist- and he is not from thailand. I COULD learn the wai kru, I could wear the armbands, hell I could learn to count in thai, but it would be meaningless to me and disrespectful to them. I would be doing something which is not part of my culture, and this is why when I talk about what I do I call it Thai boxing to make the distinction between it and Muay thai.

15. Singto Laaw

Of course you dont need to be Thai to learn MT.

But you have already started to emulate and disrespect (in your words) Thai's, by Learning Thai Boxing or elemants of Muay Thai!

Do you wai to your teacher/instructor before or after gaining knowledge from them?
    When you fight, does the ref say fight or Chok?

16. Singto Laaw

I watched Damien Trainor from K-star pull that one of earlier this year against an Irish fighter. Pure class!!

17. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Well in that case, there's absolutely nothing in my noggin' :bang:

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I consider the english language part of my culture. does that mean japanese shouldnt be allowed to learn it?

19. Singto Laaw

Lol, Nicolo!!

Now I am guessing, but I bet when a Japanese guy introduces himself in English, he shakes the other persons hand. but when introducing himself in Japanese he bows.

My point is, he emulates the English just a little bit.

20. Singto Laaw

Hey I just thought of another time when you physicaly might use your head. When your in the grapple do you not use your head a little to manipulate your opponent?