MA vs Boxers

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by CirrusFalcon, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fitz

Fitz New Member

Right mate. Even though boxers condition themselves to be pretty tough, i doubt they can withstand a blow to the throat. Ya can't fight if ya can't breathe, right? No matter how hard u train or condition, a good blow to the head pretty much either knock u out or kill u.

Ehm, maybe i said it in the wrong way. If the boxer man manages to withstand my best stuff, i dont literally mean i'll "walk away." I mean i'll run and retreat lol. Yeah, i'm gonna haul my ass off if i executed every humanly lethal technique on the guy (and this includes snapping his neck if i'm able to grapple him) and he's still able to function. Either that, or maybe i go grab a weapon to hit him with and see how he likes it lol.

-Fitz

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  2. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

i don't care if you're george foreman, but a shot to the ribs that breaks them will hurt. boxers don't train bareknuckle, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but that leaves off a certain resistance to bare fisted fighting. (hand only)boxing is a very good sport, i admire the strategy and training, but if you don't train with your whole body, then you better start thinking about it. that's why boxers rarely have extreme bone injuries, or pressure point knockouts below the belt.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

anyways, I think we've established beyond all possible doubt that boxing IS a martial art, whatever its pros and cons.
    Well yeah, but the point about boxing is that you train very hard to be able to defend against precisely this sort of thing, and the conditioning they take part in helps them to do that more effectively.

4. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

I asked this before, and had no answers. Are there any boxers, fun/amateur/proffesional come across someone who kicked in their chosen MA? If so, please state experience of what happened, otherwise this thread will be an endless merry-go-round of unmeaningful guesses.

and that probably includes my earlier contributions!! ;)

5. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

that's another disadvantage that boxers have, which i mentioned and got no answer as well :cry:

boxers aren't adept at blocking low kicks, so if it came down to a streetfight, a trained karateka who had proper kicking form could "beat" a boxer.

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Why oh why do these kind of threads go on for so long?

Boxers Box!

If you want to prove your superiority to a boxer, then get in a Boxing ring and let him belt seven shades of red out of you.

Then square up to him in the car park afterwards and show him all the mystiques of your art you could have used if you weren't confined by the restrictive rule system (presuming you're not heading for the nearest casualty department heralded triumphantly by *mee maw!). puff, wheeze, gasp, someone tell me it's just a re-curring nightmare.

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Good question Andy, why do they go on so long? ;)

Maybe because martial artist v boxer is one of the most upredictable fights you could have. I think both will really struggle with each others styles.

I know a good martial artist that got badly beaten by a boxer, maybe because drink was involved but it was all over before we got them out of the club anyway :rolleyes:

8. Andy Murray

I dunno mate, I think any Martial Artist worth their salt should have done some boxing or at least Kickboxing/MT.
    Any Martial Artist worth their salt should have more than a passing familiarity with all the arts and ranges of combat!

Most don't!

Hence the discussion!

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree, we can discuss it all day but it means little until you do it. I wish I'd done more kickboxing than I did, it was definitely a good experience and I'd recommend it to anyone. Even if I wasn't brave enough to get in the ring and go all out :eek:

10. Andy Murray

You're too young to be using the past tense 'P'. ;)

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i have said this a million and one times and i'll say it again:

styles don't win fights. fighters win fights!

if you are a tma'ist that thinks he can beat a boxer in a fight, i say get off your seat, go to a gym and ask for a fight. if you're a boxer that thinks he can beat a tma-ist, then go to a dojo/ dojang and pick a fight. if you're asking about what works on the street, i suggest you go to a street and find out. all this talk is pointless because you can never control the all variables. conditioning, timing, having the "fight savvy", mind set, mood, the way the wind is blowing, etc. they all play a factor in a fight. it is never ceretis paribus in real life.

12. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Yeah, I agree it's like the arts dont win fights but it's based on the practitioner that what he/she got out of it.

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

OK I won't argue with that! :)

I am going to do something other than kung fu, soon, very soon ;)

14. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

i wanna get in on this,

i practice aikido and if i came across a boxer i would first dodge attacks with aikidos system of dodgeing or should i say moving out of the way if i was useing aikido's morales right after i side stepped a punch the boxer would withdraw but i would still be at his right side(expecting he came with the right) and i would then do my attack, that once agains comes to the practitioner not the style's.

if i where not to use aikidos morales in not hurting people permantly i would side step an attack and get in close with my knees and elbows and go for the vital areas such as uper elbows to the nose,kneeing to the private area,elbows to the throaght.just depends on what im feeling like that day.

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

ziseez = someone who has clearly never worked out with a remotely compitent boxer (or anyone who throws punches in bunches).

- Matt

16. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

*channeling Hedgehogey*

Because many MAists out there are like to talk about what they would theoretically do, but have never taken the time to work out with a boxer. Andy nailed it on the head. If you think your big and bad, go and spar a boxer. Until you do so, you're just blowing hot air.

*exorcises spirit *

- Matt

17. shootodog

er...you have yet to go up against a boxer haven't you? go up against one and try what you just said. tell the boxer to shout out his punches to you as he throws them so you'd have ample time to react. post here what happened.

18. Knight_Errant

no need to stop there- I bet we could sell the film rights to fox or somebody.
    It'd be all over bullshido come morning :D
    To all the 'boxing suxxors, all I have to do is kick them' people, I repeat what's already been said. Go and train with one. Preferably for around 6 months. Until then, I have four words for you:
    SHUT THE HELL UP.

19. shootodog

LOL. remember, i suggested it first. it's my idea. i should get at least 10% of the cut.

20. Knight_Errant

no room for scroungers here :p
    although we could make you the 'presenter' :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.