MA vs Boxers

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by CirrusFalcon, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Oh and my friend told me WC is better then my MT?

Whos right :confused: ?

:)

2. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

Personally I think it depends on who executes his style the best.
    Its whats 'upstairs' that counts.You have to have a strong belief in your ability in whatever martial art you train in.A lot of fights are lost even before anyone has thrown a punch.

Also if your un-fit then whatever style you choose wont impress anyone if your on the floor gasping for air.

3. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

The guy who wins.

4. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

/\ Wow, something I agree with. (for once)

5. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

Boxers hit with the right 3 knuckles (left 3 for the left hand) and hit at a curve instead of straight on. this hitting style is superior and gives the lovely KO effect :)

6. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

I like my ma more than anything but i think alot of the time underestimating
    someone is a big issue I box to keep my hands fast even though i like my ma better. I don't think either are supior but im better suited for the ma and enjoy fighting around with my cousin who is souly a boxer good training really helps with the style I take especially since its aikido based :D

I do have a ? though is there anyone ellse out there that would rather take a head shot opposed to a kidney shot? I mean the kidney shot is not a fight ender but it does bother me more than head shots. (when i say this i mean this as a single hit I wouldn't want either repetitively)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  7. Desipio

Desipio New Member

you know, im a complete noob at all this...

but i took physics... and for some reason having the entire body flying towards you seems to me to accumulate more momentum than a boxer rooted to the ground, even if he is throwing his weight behind it... and momentum / time = impulse bla bla bla...

in conclusion, it hurts more to get a flying kick in the face than a punch in the face... weight being the same... plus, c'mon, whats the point of kickign someones ass if you arent gonna look good at it?

8. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

yes it does hurt more to get a flying kick in the head then punched but you have get the kick off and land the kick. I took tkd for a year and my instructer told me those kicks are for opportunity I for one am not going to stand there and wait for it.

9. monk-ki

monk-ki Monkey..Monk-ki...Get it?

It doesn't matter who's right, only who's left!!

Seriously, though, I used to spar (semi-hard contact) with a guy who was a good boxer, and when they hit you in the head, not only does it hurt (even with pads), but your head turns when it gets hit, making it so you can't even see the next three strikes. Those will put you down. But fighting him, I learned that a simple front leg side kick to the knee would stop him up, followed with a kick to his solar plexus. After a couple shots to the knee, people start to get scared of your really fast low side kick, and stay away, which allows you to control them.

Good posts all around, I might add!

10. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

C-Fugazi has brought up some interesting points, especially the idea of damaging someones wrists by parry, sounds similar to something I've heard! for the pure boxers out there, by that I mean the ones who don't do kick-boxing, has anyone had any experience with sparring a kicker. If so, how did they find it, how did they overcome the kicks, etc.

11. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

the only real way to determine the true better sport would have to have two identical people, same age, one at the highest level of ma, the other, the greatest boxer. the boxer would have the edge, since they are trained to knock stars into the opponent's eyes. but monk-ki had a great point about kicking. they can't defend against kicks. that's their downfall.

muay thai, on the other hand...watch out. it will take one hell of a martial artist to win that fight.

12. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

the wrestler grabs the boxer...and thats all she wrote. - Rocky 3

13. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

Boxers have extremely strong punches, conditioning, and can take a good hit or two.

If the MAist don't learn to take hits, and learn good, efficient kicking moves, they will lose to a boxer.

Who was it who said 'I'm not scared of the man who has done 1000 kicks once, but the man who's 1 kick 1000 times'. That's like boxers. Punches hurt a lot, and they refine them and refine them until they can KO people.

14. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

According to the Magazine Article IO am looking at it just attributes the qoute to an old Chinese saying. It does specifically say however "I fear not the man who practices 10,000 techniques once, but the man who practices one technique 10,000 times holds my respect".

15. Gouki Long

Gouki Long New Member

um

im completly unbiased on any of this but im wondering if someone who cross trained boxing tkd jj and hapkaido would be extremly good at fighting since they know all the other techniques and get both boxing and wrestling hands on experience have the kicks for tkd and can counter very well. that just seems like the ideal fighter to me

16. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

Something like that yes :)

I think many MAists suffer from trying to be too all-rounded. It's not much use being mediocre in all areas, it's much better to be powerful in a few areas.

17. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

And when did Muay Thai (or boxing for that matter) become a 'non-martial art'?

Col

18. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

k, i worded it bad...fellow martial artist. sorry about that.

19. Jame$

Jame$ New Member

I would have to say that both martial arts and boxing have their strengths and weaknesses but surely if you can use your legs and arms to maximum efficiency opposed to just your arms you're gonna have a slight advantage. I am in no way dis-crediting boxing, this is just an observation that seems to make sense.

20. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Maybe a distinction to make, is that many people are fitting MA round about their day to day lives, and when we think of boxing, it's of the full time competitive variety.

Different animals by and large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.