MA vs Boxers

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by CirrusFalcon, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

That was rather entertaining, eh guys?

2. grimel

grimel New Member

Being this is a family forum I won't give my exact impression of this. So, I'll just say that's retarded. The bob & weave and the slip are wonderful, but NOBODY will even come close to 100% avoidance of even bad punches with their hands tied.

Way faster? Please, wake up wipe the fairy dust from your eyes.

What MA do you take? Greco-Roman? BJJ? Or do you just goto McDojos?

Didn't notice anyone mentioning knees. Knees to the thighs are good.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

So many generalisations, so little true understanding. Who you are dealing with is as much a factor as what they have trained in.

Grimel > I agree - Knees to the thighs are often overlooked and are VERY effective! They can work very well in combo with foot and shin stomping too, provided of course that your clinch skills are up to the job and he's not shovel hooking your ribs to bits.

4. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I think the solution to this problem would be to introduce more ring-sparring to martial arts. You could spend half the lesson doing the theory and then get in the ring for the next half, allowing you to go get the best of both worlds. I can't believe that simply by doing boxing you get this superhuman ability to duck and dive, I think it's the way martial arts are taught. We do SOME free sparring at tang sou dao, and we did some in karate, but in chow gar kung fu there was none whatsoever (though we did do a lot of pad-hitting, which we don't do very much of at TSD).

5. xubis

xubis New Member

I am going to ask to fight a boxer from around here... unfortunatley he is the county champion, I'll let you know ;)

6. Hot Sauce

Hot Sauce New Member

Why not just kick the boxer between the legs?

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

BECAUSE HE WOULD HIT YOU!

8. grimel

grimel New Member

Why bring a ring into it? Why not just add full contact sparing to most martial arts?

9. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

You make a good point.

10. Hot Sauce

Hot Sauce New Member

Not if the kicking person has somekind of guard up or, like the do in Krav Maga, bend the upper body back while kicking the groin.

11. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Why Boxing?

Something everyone seems to have missed here is, why is it boxing that has been set up against all other martial arts?

The main argument (IMO...I may be dead wrong), is that boxers are extremely good at striking, so how to you get past that to beat them?

The truth is the same can be said for every martial art.

Judoka's are experts at throwing and takedowns....so how do you avoid them rushing in to a grapple and hurling you to the ground?

Tae Kwon Do practicioners are expert kickers...so how do you avoid them kicking your forarms to peices? I know boxers condition there arms, but i've seen well landed kicks completely destroy ribcages...deadly.

Alot of Jujitsuka's (among other arts) are expert unbalancers....so how do you avoid them putitng you off centre (it may sound dodgy, but the ones i've seen are damn good at it, and yes, even against someone as fast as a boxer), and then hurling you to the ground/pounding a couple of pressure points?

The point I'm trying to make here is that training in an actual art is just the foundation of a fighter. The main part is training yourelf to use that art successfully.

We've seen and heard stories of Aikidoka's (one from this very forum), taking down three guys when attacked form behind, and of Wushu practicioners surviving an attack by 15 men, some armed with knives. We see boxers pound people to nothing during matches. We see the the Secret Air Service being taught Jujitsu.

Any art can work against any other. Its just up to the individual to MAKE it work.

Just my two cents, anyway. Kindly dont hate me, heh :Angel:

ciao for now

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  12. TM77

TM77 Valued Member

Big AMEN to that! :)

13. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

Who are they? :confused:

14. M3inline6

M3inline6 Valued Member

Good post! :cool:

I must say that I find this forum almost as highly entertaining as the BMW boards that I'm a part of. :D

15. edd1

edd1 Valued Member

Just a thourght or two

Hi,
    every one seems to be talking about a boxer Vs a martial artist, how many real fights a one on one, not many must fights are related to drink and very often someone who is kicking off is going to be out with his mates, he could even be trying to show off. just thinking, because as a boxer I know that a grappeler would beat me if the fight when to the floor, but what if I were the sort of person who had mates that would run up and kick whilst you thourght me. On the oposit a couple of good puches will KO people in a second, usefull for when your outnumberd.
    Guess the point I'm getting at is that Boxing Vs Martial arts, depends on the situation.

Thourght two. someone said that boxers can be really tough after only a little training, because of the simplicity of training. whilst this is true to some extent I think that it is mainly to do with the training ethos behind boxing, lots or regular training, and plenty of actuially puting what you are being taurght in to practace, ie full contact sparing.

16. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Can't work out how to Quote, so i'll do it the old fashioned way...

"Who are they? :confused:"

Sorry, should have explained that. The S.A.S is Austrlaia's Special Air Service, or to put it in cooler terms, secret agents.

"Good post! :cool:"

Why thankyou *takes a bow

"I must say that I find this forum almost as highly entertaining as the BMW boards that I'm a part of. :D "

My work here is done ;)

17. xubis

xubis New Member

Exellent post! Hear hear

18. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Why thanks Xubis...by the way...i'm really jealous of your little avatar....daaammm youuu......*waves his fist

19. BangkokBabay

BangkokBabay New Member

Glad to see this was brought up!

Currently in NYC there is alot of Muay Thai fights up and coming, and finding matches for bouts has been somewhat difficult in regards to the Boxing vs Muay Thai competitors. We are in need of more Muay Thai fighters and cards are being filled with a few Muay Thai fighters vs Boxers that are learning how to throw kicks in just a matter of a few weeks so they can be in the fight.

The majority of these fights are won by the fighter with strong boxing skills. Due to them being a striker, head hunter and speed. Also many experienced Muay Thai fighters are starting to back out of participating in the fights and the fights becomes more boxing then Muay Thai!

:Angel:

20. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

This is just like say fighting a grappler on the street and if your down on the ground and they put a submission on you then say goodbye to your bones, The TKD part, it's true there are a lot of combination techniqiues like say mid roundhouse to try to take down the opponents guard then go up to the head and kick the opponent and it's like mid roundhouse to high roundhouse a good and effective strategy on the streets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.