MA endurance books and resources?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Algavinn, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Algavinn

Algavinn Valued Member

I've been looking to add to my repertoire of training books, but I'm having a hard time finding a good book on endurance training that isn't all focused on training for runners or swimmers, or has anything new for me. Can anyone point me to some good endurance training resources please?

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

check out joel jamisons MMA conditioning book over at 8weeksout

3. Algavinn

Algavinn Valued Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks interesting, but I'm looking to dish out quite a bit less than 40$ at the moment when it comes to any single book.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you're in the US [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Fight-Manual-Intense-Training/dp/187347542X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296255342&sr=1-3"]this [/ame] is going to be a bit steep, but it's an excelent resource.

Other than that I think you can pick up lots of good stuff for free. Register on Iain Abernethy's website and you'll find some good pad drills available for free. Youtube is always good too, as long as you know what you're looking for :)

What do you mean by endurance?

Mitch

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

6. Algavinn

Algavinn Valued Member

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look at those asap. Ross definitely has some good material.

Well practically I am looking to increase general endurance, specifically for sparring, but I am primarily looking for endurance theory down to practical application for martial arts or at least a comparable sport. Training programs to these effects that I can steal bits and pieces of or at least good theory to help shape my routine that isn't dependent on swimming or running by necessity, and isn't the usual "You want to get better sparring endurance? Spar more." Which I would do if I had the dojang time to do so. I'm expecting MMA to be my best resource for potential endurance books (I do TKD and am working on outside grappling work), but most seem so rudimentary that they offer me no extra info, or are focused on a sport I don't practice and have no theory to go along with it.

7. Frodocious

I've heard good things about Martin Rooney's stuff. I haven't got any of his books, but have flicked through them in the bookshop and they look pretty good - similar stuff to Ross.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Warrior-Workouts-Training-Warriors/dp/0061735221/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296263716&sr=1-1"]Ultimate Warrior Workouts Training for Warriors : Fitness Secrets of the Martial Arts: Amazon.co.uk: Martin Rooney: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Warriors-Ultimate-Martial-Workout/dp/0061374334/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296264249&sr=1-3"]Training for Warriors: The Ultimate Mixed Martial Arts Workout: Amazon.co.uk: Martin Rooney: Books[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  8. Algavinn

Algavinn Valued Member

Much appreciate the links Frodocious! Those do look like the kind of stuff I'm gunning for, especially the first. I'm likely to pick those up shortly.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Frodocious is on the money.

Both the Ross Ennamait and the Martin Rooney stuff is brilliant. I have most if not all of Ross' stuff and I've got one or two from Rooney as well. Well worth picking up either or both!

10. Frodocious

Glad to be able to help! Good luck with your training!

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Personally I've found that bag work helps. I make the rounds 25-30% longer and do another 2 rounds. So when I've been training for my 5x2 minute round kickboxing match I was doing 7x3 minute rounds on the bag at as high a pace as I could consistantly keep up. The idea being to be working at as fast a pace and hitting as hard in the 7th as you were in the 1st.

Aside from that I've been trying circuits with tabata rounds (20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest) with different exercises. So six different exercises = a 3 minute round. I'm going to try multiple rounds of these with a 1 minute break between them and see how that works, I think with different combinations of exercises it could be quite useful as long as you keep the tempo high.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

it is hands done the best conditioning book out there, rooneys is second, but not a close second rooneys does not cover the energy systems and how they relate to MMA, programming or anything like that.... and ross's, well lets just say the other 2 have trained real fighters for a living

If the books too expensive try looking at the thread *how to finally solve your conditioning needs" sticked over at sherdog, its about 99 pages long and EZA who started it is the guy who wrote that book and gives away loads of conditioning examples on it

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  13. Algavinn

Algavinn Valued Member

Yeah snoop, I'm hitting the HIIT as well to work on my endurance, and the intensity sessions on the bags does sound like an excellent idea. Normally after class I hang around the dojang for 20-30 mins to work on technique, like my bad leg on any given kick, but Finishing up with some higher intensity work really can't be contested!

I hear what you're saying ice, and I do hope to get it at some point, I'm just a horrid bibliophile that spends probably a two digit percentile of my paychecks on expanding my library so I have to pace myself. I'm just hoping to see some on ebay amazon or powells before long. I will definitely look at that thread though, (where is it at?) thanks!

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

as i said alot of his stuff is out there free, check out sherdog forums, sticked post in the s and c forum by EZA

15. Algavinn

Algavinn Valued Member

Found it Icefield, thanks! Will get a nice long look through it.

16. Algavinn

Algavinn Valued Member

Well I found my way over to sherdog and got through the entire 84 page thread across 2 days, and my gods! It was definitely a wealth of information and I will be buying his book shortly.

I also picked up one of rooneys books and while it has a lot of information its mostly just workouts and exercises (I should have gotten his first and not second book probably) but I am still happy to have it.

So thanks all for the advice and links, etc. It has definitely revolutionized my understanding of endurance and changed my workout plan completely when outside the dojang.

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The training for wariors book is good but as you say its more to do with exercises and a single 8 week routine but it is not bad at all

Jamisons book goes more into detail about the different energy systems, different ways to train them and how to put them together in training blocks (his breakdown of the block training system is one of the best i have read, takes a complex way of training and makes it easy to understand.)

He teaches and shows you how to assess your strengths and weaknesses and then how to plan your training accordingly, it really is worth the money

Having said that the stuff in the thread at sherdog is very good, covers cardiac development, aerobic power development through HICT methods how to test if your conditioning is improving (resting HR tests, heart rate recovery between rounds and power output at threshold) i even think he covers threshold training (think he covers that in the thread if not its in his forums over at 8weeksout.com) the forums are free check them out if you haven't already

18. Algavinn

Algavinn Valued Member

I am a good way into Jamiesons book right now and it is pretty fantastic, best material I have read on conditioning by far, but Rooney's (ultimate warrior workouts) was pretty disappointing aside from being a good list of varied exercises. But still useful. All together definitely happy with what I've gotten my hands on, definitely exactly what I needed. Thanks again for the info! (also I did read all through his thread on sherdog, definitely a good thread).