Lutalo Muhammad named for team GB

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by liero, May 28, 2012.

1. liero

liero Valued Member

From Taekwondo news FB Page

The British Olympic Association has called on British Taekwondo to explain why they have omitted gold medal prospect Aaron Cook from their London 2012 team.

The BOA received British Taekwondo's nominations over the weekend - and it is understood that Cook was not on the list.
    Instead, Lutalo Muhammad, the European champion at 87kg, who would have to drop down a division to fight at London in Cook's 80 division, was named.

Lutalo would make a worthy replacement for Cook and both athletes would have a good chance of getting a medal. Muhammad has medaled at several A class competitions in -80 over the past year and is currently Cooks biggest rival in the division. He was the most impressive fighter for Team GB at the recent European championships.

The biggest question is should Team GB be forced to pick a player they don’t want on their team.

Whatever the outcome either Cook will miss out, or Team GB will be forced to back track. Neither of these outcomes is ideal for British Taekwondo.

"GB Taekwondo can confirm that nominations for the Great Britain Olympic Taekwondo team have now been sent to the British Olympic Association".

"We will be making no further comment on selection at this time".

Team GB

Personally I think it's a real shame, they are passing over the world number one for another person and I think throwing away a serious medal opportunity.
    I wonder what Cook will do if he doesn't win any appeal?

Thoughts?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not that I follow much of the whole politics angel on TKD or the Olympics... but yes this one seems painful for British squad members in particular. Especially when it seems it's down to retaliation against Cook - because he rebelled against one-size-fits-all coaching methods. Though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that anyone from the TKD world.

But yes for the Brits this seems a really poor state of affairs.

How does this pan out for Cook? What is the process? If he wins and appeal can be be reinstated? Or does that power always soley rest with a good 'ol boys club of cronies?

3. andyjeffries

andyjeffries Valued Member

He's appealed to British Taekwondo and the appeals panel upheld the original decision.

Now the team selection has been sent as a recommendation to the British Olympic Association. British Taekwondo isn't responsible for the team selection, only the recommendation to the national Olympic association. They have a history of overturning NGB recommendations - and given the high profile nature and political undertones of this one, I'd hope they would...

There is a petition here, in case anyone wants to sign (you don't have to be a UKer, just someone that would like to see justice done):

www.change.org/petitions/put-aaron-cook-in-the-olympics

4. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

Lutalo beat Cook in the German Open.

I guess it would make sense to use him.

At first I thought it was that infuriating British practice of late of passing over great athletes just for the sake of a multi-ethnic team (this practice has led to England's dismal performance abroad in football/soccer)

However, while I am mentioning the Lutalo vs Cook match, this match is an example as to why Taekwondo might not stay in the Olympics. Check it out, that is a TINY audience for two competitors like that fighting.

5. andyjeffries

Muhammed beat Cook 14-11 and then Cook beat Muhammed in the Dutch Open 7-2 two weeks later. That one win proves nothing, certainly not enough to replace him in the Olympics.

Comparing their results this year - Aaron's had 3 golds and a bronze, Lutalo's had 1 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze.

The viewing audiences have been tiny

6. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

I didn't know about the Dutch Open. Maybe my intuition on as to why Cook was passed over was correct.

7. andyjeffries

I knew because I've been quite active in reading about all this recently, but even if not - here's a good link for you:

http://www.taekwondodata.de/aaron-cook.aago.html#top

Maybe...

Roll on the BOA's final decision (the current team is only a recommendation from British Taekwondo - the WTF MNA in the UK - the final team is selected by the British Olympic Association).

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As someone that's looking forward to the olympics but isn't clued up on TKD Aaron Cooke is only one of two Brits I've ever heard of (the other being that female one who's name I've forgotton).
    I'm sure that's not something that should really be considered when making Olympic picks but if two guys are very similar I'd give the nod to the more known one for a better profile for the sport.

9. andyjeffries

Sarah Stevenson I'd imagine...

That's the funny thing. The two guys aren't even close to being similar. Aaron has way more international experience, including missing out on a previous Olympic medal by one point and has had way more success over the past two years.

They really are chalk and cheese...

But I do agree with you - given two identical players, pick the better known one/higher profile/better role model.

10. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Don't worry about it too much, I think we have 8 appeals for the TeamGB Judo selections.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's the bunny!

Well there ya go. I don't know enough about it but from the description in this thread it sounded like they were fairly well matched.
    But if the well known (if you can call a TKd player well known) is also better then he should get the nod.

12. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

So why isn't Lutalo fighting at 87kg and Aaron at 80kg? Surely that would be the best option?

13. andyjeffries

Because GB only have four slots for fighters, two mens and two womens, and GB didn't choose to have a slot in the +80kg division. Each country only gets to send a maximum of four fighters to the Olympics. As the host country we got to choose our slots, so with Aaron being such a successful player, his slot was a definite. Then he didn't get picked for it...

14. andyjeffries

Because GB only have four slots for fighters, two mens and two womens, and GB didn't choose to have a slot in the +80kg division. Each country only gets to send a maximum of four fighters to the Olympics. As the host country we got to choose our slots, so with Aaron being such a successful player, his slot was a definite. Then he didn't get picked for it...

15. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

An earlier thread I posted on the subject:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109888

And Aaron Cook's reaction:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18233018

Aaron Cook is the obvious choice for the -80kg spot. Lutalo Muhammad is a talented fighter but there is a massive divide between them:
    • Cook is world number 1; Muhammad is number 93.
    • Cook beat now-former world no.1 Ramin Azizov at the European Championships, which gives him a massive psychological advantage over the favourite to win gold in London. Muhammad has no such victory.
    • Cook didn't just win, but KTFO'd five-time world champion and three-time Olympic medallist Steven Lopez.
    • Cook has performed better than Muhammad over the last 2 years.
    • Cook has been to an Olympics already, which is invaluable experience. As another user pointed out, he came so close to medalling. (Don't forget he was just 17 at the time.)
    • While they hold one victory over each other, Cook won by the greater margin in his.
    • Cook is better known and thus will have greater psychological advantage over his opponents.
    • And the most important point - not choosing Cook is stupid.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Got to love martial arts politics.

Having read about some of the other political issues surrounding practicioners of Taekwando it makes me glad I never practiced it. Seems like alot of headache if you ask me.

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Hopefully the BOA slap some sense into the selectors. It's a disgusting decision that, unfortunately, represents an all too common problem in competitive Martial Arts.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

20. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

was an interesting piece on Aaron Cook last night on PM, the radio 4 news programme (at about 42 minutes) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j5myc

I hadn't heard of him until a feature a year or two when they did a feature on his breakaway from the national coaches