Luta Livre

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by AikiSamurai, Jul 23, 2003.

1. AikiSamurai

AikiSamurai New Member

I think that's what it's called. I've seen it several time as the discipline that many Brazilians follow. I also read in FightSport that there's a big rivarly between that and BJJ in Brazil. Does anyone know more about this Martial art or martial sport?

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

It was said in a MMA video

Where Bart Vale fights a L L fighter and they said it was a somoan form of bone breaking.

And its big in Brazil and a rival to GJJ and BJJ and does pretty well in MMA a big user of this is in Vale Tudo in Brazil.

3. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

From BJJ.org i gathered its a mix of wrestling with submissions and boxing.

Go to bjj.org and look in the articles or editorials section for an article on the style.

4. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Its nothing about bone breaking. But I know what you are talking about. Lutra Livra was said to be in competition with BJJ. They are rivals in Brazil. One style claiming to be better than the other. They are both effective. Lutre Livra combines grappling along with the standup action. The punching and kicking.
    There are differences between them. If you ever watch the " Gracie In Action" video tapes, you will see a lot of fights between the Gracies and Lutra Livra schools.
    I dont know of any schools in my area that teach it. BJJ seems to be grappling art around here.

This is what I know off the top of my head. The history might be a little vague. You can probably searcht he websites for more info.

5. Sonshu

I know where you are coming from

Joe

This is what it said in an early Vale Tudo tape so perhaps it did originate from there?

I will try to get a concreate answer today.

6. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Yeah and I also heard of it being called Combat Wrestling.

7. Sonshu

I am wrong

Sorry dudes its nothing to do with bone breaking it is a Brazilian art. There is a simerler named art that is the Somoan art.

"Sits corrected"

8. Vincenzo

Vincenzo New Member

isn't the bone breaking art called lua or something? i had heard it's from hawaii

9. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Luta Livre=means Free Wrestling, or Free for all wrestling.
    Luta (Wrestle)-Livre (Free) in Portuguese. Similiar expression found in all the Latin Languages.

Essentially, they developed their form of Vale Tudo fighting from Catch/ Freestyle wrestling. Hence the rivalry between BJJ and Luta Livre, was initially a rivalry between Judo/ GJJ and Wrestling, then played out and developed in a very Brasilian way.

Now it's a complete system based very much on a strong Gi-less grappling. Fighters like Alessandro and Johil de Oliveira are examples of how skillful Luta Livre fighters can be.

They are also very good strikers and their abilities to fight at all ranges and use all components very well are a credit to them.

Yes Vin, Lua is the Hawaiian art of Bone Breaking.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  10. mfeijo

mfeijo New Member

hey everyone.

I trained Luta Livre for many years in Rio, with Hugo Duarte ,Eugenio Tadeu and Denilson, at a school called Equipe Bruno Cilla.

The rivalry between BJJ and Luta Livre strted when a big name in the BJJ comunity, very big on the Gracies School started going to the beach to pick fights with everyone, and one day he got a Luta Livre guy, from our school. He finalized the guy, and next day he was at the beach and another yellow belt saw him and complained, then he finalized the second one. (he was a third dan black belt in BJJ) Next day We had Hugo, and Hugo finalized him. That is how it started.

It is all about ground, just like BJJ, but we wear no Gi, and we also implement some Kicks and punches, on a modality that is not very accepted by the more purists in Luta Livre.

To be honest, one just needs kicks and punches if there is more then one opponent. Otherwise, torsions will easily get it.

I personnaly prefer the torsion behind the neck. always work. doesn't necessarily injuries the opponent, yet brings him to submission.

Hope it helped.

Mauricio Feijo
    Atlanta, GA
    mail@mauriciofeijo.com