Lunges...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Noib Da Mutt, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

ow... They're hard and they hurt...lol... I love em... I'd never done lunges with weights before but my uncle who was a former personal trainer reccomended that I do them over squats...

Well... I'm hooked...

2. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Do you use dumbells or a barbell across the shoulders? Could you describe how their done, because I'm not entirely sure......

3. Noib Da Mutt

I tried the bar, but it's too hard to balance it that way, I did it with 50 pound dumbells, sets of ten... I have virgin lunge muscles... lol... squats are easy... I'm going to try to not do as much of them now though...

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Of course, you're a qualified instructor with several certs and a degree in health science, so when you say you recommend them over squats, I'm sure you know what you're talking about. I am not worthy :rolleyes:

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Just what I thought.

Bwahahahahhhahahhahaahahahaaahaaaaahahahaha! Please tell me I did not just read this statement. If you find squats easy, TRY THEM WITH SOME WEIGHT. I don't often insult people but I am quite tempted here. Squats are easy, pfft. Ever done a 20-rep squat? Google it and give it a go. You will die.

Screw lunges, squats are the best thing ever. Ever. A few links for you:

www.drsquat.com

http://www.cbass.com/ANDERSON.HTM (anyone interested in some unbelievable strength training should check this out also!)

http://www.cbass.com/Squats.htm

There are zillions of links like this. Some people even say "if you don't squat, you don't have a workout.". I sometimes err towards being one of those people, unless injury prevents. Squat, you know it's right.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  6. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

The trend of harsh sarcasm continues ...
    Why you guys gotta be so mean?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  7. ebrigham

ebrigham Valued Member

Lunges are fantastic exercises and holey crud dose it hurt the next morning. I personally would try to do some squatting as well (or perhaps the hack squat or sled). But others might differ.

8. ebrigham

ebrigham Valued Member

Adam might have been a bit of a sarcastro for your taste, but he does make a valid point. If a lifting exercise is too easy, the solution is usually pretty apparent! Anyway, I think Noib Da Mutt himself might have been joking a bit with his statement, but I don't want to speak for him.

In addition if you are also making reference to my reply in your "Philosophy" thread, you should know that I was actually trying to make a philosophical point with my apparently tongue-in-cheek response. I was going to expand upon it a bit more, but instead I seemed to have offended you.

9. Knight_Errant

Because he's scum!

10. Noib Da Mutt

squats are easy... WITH WEIGHT... In a span of 2 months I went from doing 2 45 plates on each side to 4... which is like... going from 225, to 405... So.. yes, I find them easy... I find them less painful than lunges by far... But then again, when I was doing squats I did them like twice a week included in a circuit workout of the lower body, plus I was training afterwards or beforehand and eating like crazy...

To be honest, I could care less what other people says is this or that... I know what works for my body... dude... and you've really proven a large amount of immaturity in my defense... Please, give it rest and say something intelligent for once in my threads...

11. Noib Da Mutt

of course... scum... how... insulting? :confused:

12. Knight_Errant

We were talking about you, not to you.

13. Noib Da Mutt

:)

14. Knight_Errant

seriously- if you dropped the silliness and grew up a bit, you'd be a pretty decent guy.

15. Ad McG

In 2 months you added 180lbs to your max squat? Maybe you should take up powerlifting with that kind of progress mate. Why bother with lunges when you could just squat more. Either that or you're talking smack. 180lbs is a LOT. Where you doing full squats, or puny 1/4 squats?

Erm... what? You mentioned intelligence. Try using some to create sentences that make sense.

You also said that lunges "hurt more" than squats. Why the hell do you want to do lunges more then?!? Does more pain = a better workout??? NO. If you had a clue, you would know that.

Did you even glance at the links I posted? No real weight trainer does lunges over squats. Seriously.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  16. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I agree fully with Adam and KE. Squats are better than lunges in so many different ways. Why do you think the best weight trainers do squats over lunges?

Oh, and you added 180lbs to your squats in 2 months? Quit whatever you're doing now, and take up powerlifting. You could rule in that sport.

17. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Hey, guys, I have a question.

You seem to be up on a lot of the weight training issues, and I freely admit I'm not. I was looking to start training with lunges (side-to-side and forward) to build strength in specific muscle groups, while stretching. This was recommended in Thomas Kurz' book, "Stretching Scientifically".

I know nothing about squats. I have no desire to build tons of muscle mass or become a power-lifter. I don't want to get godzilla-woman-on-steroids-type muscles. I just want to build strength in the specific muscles I am stretching for front and side splits.

Lunges? or Lunges and squats?

Your comments, please.

18. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

I'm not here to insult you Noib Da Mutt, but I do find it difficult to believe your miraculous increase in weight on the squat. However I agree with you about lunges in that they can give you DOMS irrelevant of how much you squat, this is because lunges put stress on certain muscles (adductors/hip flexors) more so than the squat and in a stretched position. You should do what feels right, but Adam is right you should try supersquats (20-rep) squatting. I did this for a few weeks, fairly deep (beyond parallell) and I have to say it is the most intense training I have ever done and is a real test of strength. Having said that if you can squat what you claim then you will be pretty strong just by being able to carry the bar on your shoulder. I think what the guys here are trying to say is that squatting is an invaluable part of any strenght training. You dont just stop because you can lift a lot, it should be a part of your training throughout your athletic career.

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Either both - or just squats.

20. Ad McG

Hooray! Thought you might have a little more to say than that though Yoda :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.