Lower joints/ligaments rant.

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Tian-Tian, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

History!

- when I was in elementary school I tore the ligament of my left knee while rollerblading and walking the dog at the same time. :D Not smart, I know.

- Later on in high school I was in soccer for a season and suffered some very severe shin splits which had me in the ice tub pretty much every day after practice. The running was also hard on my knees. Switched to choir.

- Did water polo the next year. Was kicked repeatedly in the knees underwater during game scuffles/practice scrimmages.

- A summer later, did horseback riding, English style. All motion goes down your legs, including knees and ankles. When you're trying to push your heels down for an hour (my instructor was a stickler for that sort of thing), the ankles easily swell up with the stress.

- Later on, in college, I badly bruised my right knee (can't remember on what), damaging tons of soft tissue and left me purple and green for weeks. Still walked on it and used an ace bandage (couldn't find a knee brace in pharmacy stores that come in my thigh size---still can't).

- That next semester was when I picked up MA with Hapkido. LOTS of joint manipulation. Need a really say more on that?

- Same semester was when I discovered the joys (and pains) of TKD. Fell in love with sparring, but my knees didn't. During a belt test I had one kid directly kick my knee. Was fortunate enough to walk away from it, but it still hurt for about a week after.

- Was then in a car accident after that point, which damaged TONS of soft tissue everywhere in my neck, back, spine, etc. My neck still 'clicks' (as it did just now while I was typing). Left me with major back spasms.

- Returned to TKD because I really wanted to go back, having been hooked. during a routine kicking drill, I threw a kick and my back spasmed in the same instant. I lost my balance and rolled my left ankle.
    Went to clinic on campus and was given tiny ankle brace and crutches. On the third day, my knee was killing me.
    Went to my orthopedic doctor back home about a week later and discovered that I had not only damaged my ankle, but I had also greatly damaged the ligaments that ran on either side of my left leg, up to my left knee. Was given a GREAT BIG BOOT to wear and had to quit both Hapkido and TKD. Went home and recovered for 2 months.

-While in my hometown, was craving me some TKD. Found a school offering several weeks of free training. Started into their workouts but discovered my ankle, knee and back were just NOT ready. Was out of MA activity for another 5 months or so.

-All this time, I've had to compensate for my left knee with my right one and somehow learned to walk incorrectly because of it (ie, out of alignment).

- Started into Tai Chi this semester. Back feels great, neck still clicks but my knees and ankles have been hot, swollen and painful, repeatedly. It doesn't help that I'm out of alignment and I carry my weight wrong. Still trying to work on that, but pulled my right knee and stressed out the left one so now everything there hurts.

</rant>

Conclusion: I've really messed up my joints. :D

I'm not sure why I posted this. I may have been frustrated at the time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Yes, you have certainly messed up your joints and tissues. Good news is that a lot of that damage is reversible.