Low kick defences

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by YODA, Nov 14, 2002.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi MAPers :D

Defenses against the low Thai kick to the thigh...

Ajarn Chai (Our MT boss-man) teaches 9 defences to this kick.

What's yours?

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Cry like a girlie and give him my pin number?.

Never got my head round blocking with the shin, but a variation, is move away with it, take the kick on the calf, and hook the kicking leg with the blocking leg. Pull the kicking leg out towards straight to unbalance the kicker with a good old clout round the luggole to boot ;)

Never tried it against anyone good though Yoda. Maybe you'll indulge me sometime!

3. morphus

morphus Doobrey

How Low master Yoda??? Are we talking knee height or lower??
    I don't really know any defence for this eccept get out the way - attack - block with outer leg.
    Enlighten me master!

4. YODA

Andy: We must try that sometime :D

Morphus: Thigh height.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Step back would be my favourite. Alternatively step round and in and lift the leg for a kick of your own, if the Thai kick does still reach you you should be close enough in that your knee will hit their thigh, and you're set up for a kick or punching counter. At thigh height though a downwards block or upwards block would work quite nicely, or double forearm. Quite a range.

Note: I've never blocked a Thai thigh kick, only Choi, TKD and Karate, some I'm working from my experience of those and otherwise guessing.

6. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Firstly always remove the target.(get out of the way)

Rather then steping backwards always take the angle45 forward oppisite the attacking leg/whatever.
    Go a single leg.

Take the 45 forward and put out a stomp/front kick/whatever towards the hip/groin/surporting or kicking joint.

Lift the target leg up(out of the way) spit in his eyes and rush the dude.

Just shoot in from 3 ms
    :D
    Most of our stuff works on movement first and not blocking,generally we attack attacks in order to distract and **** off the dudeso that we can get in close,usually arms for arms legs for legs.The closer you can get on the kicks orgin the less power they develope and more chance you can break there balance.

7. YODA

Some good thoughts so far guys - keep 'em coming :D

I'll post my list of nine (and the 4 I use often) tomorrow.

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Actually now that I think about it if its similar to a swing kick then most likely I'd go for an upwards block (also known as scooping, I love that block), and move in with elbow strike/takedown.

9. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I'd already more than likely changed to the opposite lead leg from the guy if he showed any thai stylings in his approach, from here if he decides to kick my lead leg it will have to be low and then you just pick up the foot and move in after the kick has gone under my foot.
    Or if you notice him going for the kick then its not very hard at all to move around him to the side (follow your lead leg and end up almost behind him).

If I got caught with the same lead leg as he then until he gets past kicking range I'd be watching for the kick and when it comes then lift your lead leg and heel kick either his shin or knee. It won't hurt your foot,.. much as he won't be anywhere near his maximum power with the kick from here you will be in better position and he will be in pain.
    I also like the move back (to the side wherever you think is best place to counter from) when he kicks then rush in while he is of balance due to missing with a high velocity kick (maybe even turned round). This could even manage to get you into position for a reverse hip throw/reverse hip neck squeeze (back to back then you pull them around your hip and back. They land on their head - hurts a lot!!!).

10. YODA

One thing is clear from the above - some of you have obviously never had this kick thrown at you "with intent".

Here is the basic set of defences that we use / teach. * = the ones that I personaly have had most success with.

*1. Evade backwards (not as simple as it seems)
    *2. Leg Sheild (Lifting the leg to block using the TOP of the shin - needs to be done at the correct angle - if you lift your leg straight up you're going down! Also you need to be covered from the middle & high kicks at the same time)
    3. Leg Shield with cut kick (Skipping kick into supporting leg off the leg shield)
    4. Attacking leg shield (Actually attacking his shin)
    *5. Direct Cut Kick (Requires LOTS of timing)
    6. Teep (foot jab) interception at the upper knee
    *7. Teep (foot jab) interception at hip or body (or groin!)
    8. Teep (foot jab) interception to the supporting knee
    9. Leg Shield & pick up (hooking your same side hand over the kick & lifting it - counter with knee or cut kick)

11. Cain

Cain New Member

I might add that a kick to thigh telegraphs your intentions , if you know the kick is coming why not just pick up your leg and counter squarely in your opponent's face?
    |Cain|

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Umm ok Yoda nice techniques you replied kinda along with me.
    |Cain|

13. YODA

If only it were so simple.

14. Cain

Cain New Member

Ahhh! Yoda, if you are not able to see the kick coming how would you block it? Much less counter. I only meant to say the I prefer a good counter instead of a block.
    |Cain|

15. YODA

Ah - I see...

"Know it's coming"

"See it coming"

--- These are very different.

16. Cain

Cain New Member

Umm....ok u got me there :(

*Cain thinks about the attack and is scared because he does not know how to defend it*
    :D :D :D :D

Will have to think about it a little....
    |Cain|

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I’d only stop a low kick like that with my own leg. Pushing my own leg into the attack to take it on the top of my shin.

Ideally I’d either move out of range or closer to the attacker taking the kick higher up on their leg to take some sting out of it.

A more advanced technique, which needs more anticipation and is difficult against a good kicker. Is another I think Yoda mentioned. That of stopping the kick with a kick quickly thrown at the attackers kicking leg. Although I did see this used by a friend in a real situation, so I’ve got a bit more faith in it now!

A lot of people teach stopping a kick like that with your arm then picking the leg up. Its very likely your arm would get too badly hurt to pick their leg up. Although picking the leg up if possible is still a good technique, I find difficult to do in reality though.

18. waya

waya Valued Member

I use mainly one defense against low level kicks like that. Generally I will use a shin block and counter with a kick from the same leg. The type of kick varies depending on which leg I block with and the distance to be covered.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

With upwards block rather than trying to stop the kick with your arm then catch you're usually trying to come from behind the kick and pull up, after getting out of the way.

20. YODA

Hmmmmm........... can you re-word or expand on that for me Jimmy. Can't make a word of sense of it!