Low carb/high protein collection

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Victoria, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I know more than a few members here follow lower carb and higher protein diets. I for one am still having difficulty with meal ideas other than chicken breast and peanut butter out of the tub.

I thought it would be useful to have a collection/reference of snacks and meals that are low in carbohydrate, and high in protein. If you want to put an estimate of the carbs/protein/fat content as a guide, it's up to you :)

I've deliberately not mentioned fat as we all have varying grams of fat in our diet plans, so snack/meal ideas should be posted whether high or low in fat.

Some peanut butter snacks to start:

PEANUT BUTTER PROTEIN BALLS

Ingredients:
    1 cup peanut butter (natural or sugar free if you like those versions)
    4 scoops (or 1 and 1/3 cups) whey protein powder (low in carbs)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Artificial sweetener to taste, about 1-1½ cup. Although some protein powders might have sweeteners in already.

Stick it all in a bowl and mix (a mixer might come in handy).
    Roll into balls (you can add some nuts if you wish),
    It should make quite a few small balls depending on how big you roll them, 15 if you aim for about an inch in diameter.

You can then freeze them if you wish, apparently they taste good out of the freezer! Add/remove sugar/sweetener to taste, depending on your preference and protein powder. Just have a play. And watch for transfats in your peanut butter :D

ANTS ON A LOG

I love doing this.

Grab yourself a stick of celery (or cucumber, chopped down the middle with the seeds hollowed out).
    Stuff in some peanut butter.
    Line the top with currents (or any nuts/fruit of your choice).

It's a good container for peanut butter :)

2. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Tuna & salad,
    Chicken & 3 bean salad
    Turkey & Whatever salad, have a break")
    Ham & Waldorf Salad. ;0

Chicken & corn soup.?
    Corn and celery soup?
    chicken
    chicken & celery+corn, that could b good?

3. Victoria

Salads are a good idea, I imagine you can whip up a bowl full for the fridge too. Any advice on what to stick in a salad with the chicken? I'm rubbish. Maybe mayo, with any veggies you fancy and a bit of pepper/seasoning?

....what's waldorf??

4. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

waldorf is those funny nuts that look like a shrivelled man ball (lol forgot the name) with like bit of celery and apple and lettuce and some mayo if im right.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Crap Viccy!

Get creative! You can come up with all kinds of great stuff if you work at it!

The first thing I recommend is:

Meat and veggies

That's right, it doesn't get any simpler than that. It's all in the preparation. I spice my diet up by using the smoker/grill. I use Steven Raichlens BBQ books for most of my recipes. I just grilled 3 cornell chickens last night for my meals for the week and made a shiraza salad (Iranian salad with cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, dressed with lime juice, black pepper, garlic, parsley, and mint). Make plenty of salads and slaws to break up your vegetables. Do different things with your meats. Stuff it, grill it, smoke it, spice it, cure it, that way you mix it up.

The other thing you can do is take unhealthy recipes and make them healthy. Start replacing white flour with vanilla protein powder. Start replacing whole milk products with yogurt and cottage cheese.

I re did a pear crumble recipe recently that was delicious - I replaced white flour with protein powder, it already had oats and walnuts in it. I reduced the butter and sugar drastically, and it was really good. I'll try to dig up the recipe when I get home.

6. Yohan

You could do chicken with some asian spices, served with baby greens, walnuts, tangerines and an Asian dressing (good ginger dressing).

You could do chicken with italian spices, served with romaine lettuce/spring mix, red onions, carrots, balsamic vineagerette.

You could do Mexican spices, do it with whatever greens you want, and some Pico De Gallo.

You could do some Thai style lettuce wraps.

The possibilities are endless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf_Salad

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Make yourself some homemade Salsa! You can season it to your taste but the stuff can be placed in a jar and lasts for a long time.

I will make grilled chicken, seasoned with only Extra Virgin olive oil, and some rosemary. I dice the chicken, add to a bed of fresh, baby spinach leaves, and cover w/ the salsa.

You can cover the chicken breasts alone if you wish.

I also will grill up some fresh fish, usually salmond, tuna, or shark, and toss that into a salad. One of my favorite dressings for any salad is Balsamic Vinegrette. Marvelous and NO FAT!

I also make a ton of Tunafish salad. Though I swap out the mayo, or salad creme, for spicy mustard. Again, NO FAT and is a bit more seasoned to my taste. You can make chicken salad the same way. Tried Salmond made w/ the mustard just once (not one I recommend thank you) bleahhhh!

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Classic flashback to childhood... we never got sweets as a kid... no Coca-Cola no Mars Bars none of that nonsense... but we did get this number... :D

The other one was Peanut Butter + Beansprout sandwiches and Peanut butter + banana slices. :D

hahaha... time to cut off my jeans into shorts and run around the yard like a kid. :p

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Video please! :D

10. rtkd-badger

LMAO, the name is walnuts.

11. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

rofl, thanks i completely forgot lol hate it when your mind blanks :p

12. Yohan

Found it

Easy modification, healthy delicious result.

13. Victoria

Ok, so is waldorf the same as walnuts, or is waldorf a salad and walnuts what tomass was thinking of?? :confused:

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Meat +

Curry – coriander, cumin, black pepper, turmeric, ginger, celery seed, fennel

Cajun – paprika, celery seed, garlic, cayenne pepper

Mexican – paprika, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder

Middle Eastern – black pepper, coriander, cinnamon, cumin

Herbes de Provence – basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, oregano

Salmon Rub – ginger, pepper, sesame seeds, cinnamon, coriander, dried chillies

BBQ rub - onion granules, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic granules, parsley cayenne

Moroccan – blackpepper, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric

Jamaican Jerk – chili powder, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, ginger

KFC style - thyme, basil, oregano, celery seed, black pepper, mustard powder, plenty of paprika, garlic salt, ginger

Curried kebab! - onion powder, coriander, ginger, garlic granules, garam masala, cumin, black pepper, turmeric, fennel

15. Gussigan

Gussigan Valued Member

waldorf is a salad with walnuts in it

been getting into the salads. could do a thai beef salad which would have things like capsicum (usually a few different colours), coriander, chilli, lime juice.. then cook up a steak and slice it

the other good one that i don't really get tired of is stir fry.. pick a meat, pick some veggies, pick a sauce... the combinations are endless

16. Victoria

I'm going to make a salad tonight, give it a go!

I'm not sure what capsicum is but if they have it in Tesco I might steal that idea ;) Sounds good, I was thinking thai.

Cheers Yohan :)

And nice one coma, we already have most of that list in the spice rack so that should keep me quiet for a while.

17. rtkd-badger

I think you may call them peppers, they look like this
    [​IMG]

18. Victoria

Oh, peppers! :love:

That thai salad looks good for a try tonight. I'll see if I can find a recipe.

19. rtkd-badger

:D Glad I could help.

20. Victoria

My improvised concoction from last night turned out something like this:

Sauce:
    Cajun marinade mixed with a drop of milk and cream to thicken (I only had a small amount of marinade left in a bottle).
    Add cajun spice, pepper, and some garlic.

Salad:
    Add sauce to tuna with some onion and chopped bell peppers.

Mix in a small bottle of tobasco.

Serve on shredded lettuce, top with grated carrot.

I called it spicy cajun tuna salad. It was actually very nice!
    Next time I'm going to marinade some chicken in cajun spice and try a similar thing, probably without the milk and cream unless I make the sauce from scratch.

And tonight, my husband is cooking Jamaican Pork :D (I should probably just leave the cooking to him...)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008