Low Bar Squats

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Axelator, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I recently tried to start switching over to low bar squats. I heard they decrease stress on the lower back, are more effective for increasing full body power and allow you to squat more. I have this big problem though, Everytime I go above about 100kg the barbell feels as though it's going to slide down my back and fall off, it always feels like my arms are supporting most of the weight too as opposed to it resting on my back. I eneded up going back to high bar squats for my workour because I couldn't go heavy enough.

Does anyone know any tips to help keep the bar securely on my back?

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Stick with lots of lighter warm-up sets for now to slowly feel out where the bar needs to be. A lot of it just takes time to find the right spot. Try to "bend the bar" across your back using your hands. Switching from one to the other makes you usually need a few workout sessions to figure out where it needs to be, so be content to lift lighter for right now until you figure out the right placement for you.

3. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Thanks, I think I have the right place, I definitely feel the "shelf". It normally starts to slip when I drive my hips through to finish the squat.

4. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Id agree with Kuma, have you jumped into 100Kg+ because thats what you normally lift? Id ease your self into it slowly get comfortable with the lift then increase the weight over a 4 week period or less depending on how often you lift

5. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Remember by the back angle is further from vertical at the top of a low-bar squat, by necessity of keeping the bar over the middle of the foot. If you're trying to maintain a back angle the same as a high-bar squat, the bar will start to slide down your back. Also, make sure your elbows and chest are lifted.

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

You might also try using front squats a few times. I typically do back squats if I'm going thighs parallel, but I have issues on my back (full) squat, because the load is placed farther back. I tend to over compensate by pitching the bar forward, pushing my shoulders down and my hips up. So I tried the front squat, which helps me because it balances the load better for me.

It sounds like you are either having the opposite problem (compensating back instead of forwards), or like you can't hold on to the bar.

Another thing you might try is doing it with straps once or twice. That would at least let you know if you are having problems holding on to the bar, or if it's something else.

I use a low bar grip.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

as others have pointed out... front squats... killer.

and you can look up a device called the Manta Ray:

http://www.dynamicfitness.com/detail.aspx?ID=13

http://www.amazon.com/s/field-keywords=B0017DGBY8/?tag=perblosit-20

http://www.intafitness.com.au/images/squathold2.jpg

It's designed for keeping the bar in the proper position on your back. Some like it, some hate it... try it and decide if it works for you. I've played with it a bit as we have a few kicking around the gym. I don't feel the bar slip etc. so I don't use it... but some guys swear by it.

8. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

I've never seen an Olympic lifter use a Manta ray. It's very much a form issue that can be fixed without a piece of plastic as a crutch.

9. Ste_88

Ste_88 Valued Member

I had a similiar problem to this, I was slightly taking my head back with the hip drive. Maybe get someone to film you from the side and you might see where the error is.