Looking to cross train TKD with Judo.

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Vitty, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

Hi all,

I'm a Judo newbie looking to start up in a few months and I found a club near me where I'll be able to train 2 nights a week while still training 2 nights a week in TKD as well and I'm just wondering if there's anything I need to look/watch out for when considering if the Judo club is right for me?

Regards,
    Chris.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You're going to be sore.

Very sore.

3. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

Yeah I heard it generates quite a bit of soreness at the beginning until the body gets used to it, I'm used to limping for a few weeks after a TKD tournament where my legs have taken a beating, so hopefully it's not too much worse than that...

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Imagine wearing one of those neck braces that keeps your head fixed firmly in place (because your neck and shoulders are so damn stiff) while wearing a full body suit lined with sandpaper.

5. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

Oh yay... Sounds like this will be fun :wow: is upper body strength an advantage or does it not matter quite as much?

6. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Ever done any breakfalls? Its a great experience. Enjoy

7. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

Nope never done any break falls, it should be fun though, even if I do end up really really sore

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I literally just posted this in another thread, but maybe think about getting padded base layers, like knee pads, elbow pads and goalkeeper (soccer) shirts. The foam variety is best in my opinion.

9. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

Which club, Vitty?

10. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Hi Vitty, I have some judo friends in your area, which club are you training at?

11. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

judo and tkd should mix nicely. generally the way to beat a tkd guy is to get in nice and close so they cant use all those crazy kicks. but if you train judo that weakness will play straight into your next skill of crazy throws.

12. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

Yeah that's how people tend to shut me down :( I got long legs and fight a lot of guys shorter than me so they usually get inside my range so I can't do much, one guy did it very well at Nationals in 2012 and absolutely demolished me..

I'll probably be training at Endeavour Hills Judo Club in Hallam.

13. benkei

benkei Valued Member

There are some great clubs in Melbourne Vitty, so don't be afraid to head out when you've got some confidence and do some randori at them. I have a couple of friends at Dominance MMA and other clubs (not sure if they're still there though), so be sure to go and give them a try.