Looking for Custom Tambo

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by monkeywrench, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I have consitatly asked for more detail and you have yet to answer any of the main two questions I have been asking right from the start. What part of that are you having trouble with, Surely with your English Major you should (even with my bad grammar and spelling) be able to answer a straight forward question such as why do you promote FMA drills as being CMA?

Simple enough even for and English Major or maybe not?

2. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

Since this thread was originally about tambos, I thought I'd actually make an on topic post! I was meaning to look this up days ago. But when I would remember, I'd be in the car, in the shower...etc.

This is from the CN manual circa 1994:

3. monkeywrench

Phrase that without the snark and I'll have a go at it.

Just post the simple questions. Oh, and what is the second question? I see the one here about FMA, but I'm not sure what the other one is.

4. Pat OMalley

So your still not going to answer the questions then, so much for you stating that if we need clarity just ask???

Excuse #6 I want to talk about a custom Tambo, didnt know the size so asked you guys when I actually knew the size and thought I would post a video which raised some questions - but failed to answer valid questions

5. Pat OMalley

Hey everyone I dont think he knows the answers??? And I dont think he can explain why the group he belongs to promote one art from one country as another from another country. How disrespectfull is that not to give credit to an art you steel from???

Shame and here was me thinking he wanted to tell us how great his system is because they only speak the truth :rolleyes:

All I can say is at least the McDojo's get the country of origin right when they say they teach everything ;)

6. monkeywrench

I made an effort in good faith to clear things up, and this is what I get back.

You apparently have a chip on your shoulder sir, and I don't think I can help you with that.

Sorry this is what it had to come to.

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

"A fanboy is a person considered to belong to one or more fandoms to a point of obsession."
    It is not an intrinsically negative thing. However, it can make you blinkered to the reality.

You complained and I gave detailed critic of a 30 second segment.

You have but unfortunately your art has not.

You don't like it, you know where the door is. Nobody is forcing you to post here. It's completely voluntary.

The Bear.

8. monkeywrench

Ah, the old "if you don't like it get out" bit.

Classy. I knew there was a reason I was ignoring you from the onset. And you are only reinforcing that here.

I know all MAPers are not like this, but you guys (you and Pat right now) give the place a bad name.

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Awww, now I feel hurt. Well atleast I don't have to worry about your martial skills :p

The Bear.

10. monkeywrench

Or your typing skills...

One thing I do like about MAP. You can trade burns with staff.
    :cool:

11. monkeywrench

So I asked Master Robert about two things tonight. One was about how CN stick work compares to Arnis and the other is about the Hubud thing. I'll paraphrase the best I can since I didn't vid to convo.
    ;)

About Arnis, he said Arnis does a great job of doing in-close fighting and disarms and is solid overall. And that CN stick work expands the range more (sound familiar? lol). He said our double tambo work covers a lot of the same ground as far as in close work.

Just for funsies, I looked for more double tambo vids and found one of then-Sensei Elizabeth.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Wjexqgivw"]Elizabeth Godan Test double tambo IATC 2008 - YouTube[/ame]
    Feel free to rip this one up as well. You know you want to...
    :p

Hubuds. Master Robert says that yes, Hubuds is done by the FMA. And that it is no surprise that other systems in the same area of the world have similar drills. Especially since Vietnam and the Philippines are so close (I didn't even realize this...I had to go look at a map!!) geographically. He did say that Wing Chun also claims a very similar drill. He went on to say (and I've heard many variations of this over the years) that no one has truly "invented" anything in the MA for a long time since most of what we do in the Asian MAs is derived from the Chinese to begin with.

ETA: I also came across these tambo app vids:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba25Hb2_DA4"]Sensei Gordon Eilen Tambo apps - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIxqAJV3QOc&feature=related"]Sensei Mike Benedict tambo apps - YouTube[/ame]

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  12. Pat OMalley

Well Monkeywrench all I can say is you instructor is blowing smoke up your ass. What a load of I'll quickly cover my butt on this one.

Hubud my dear girl is an FMA drill. Arnis covers all the ranges not just close and yes your group is STEALING FMA drills and labelling them as something else. They are conning you big time.

I don't have a problem with groups and systems mixing other arts. I do have a problem though when they lie and try to label it as something it is not and fail to give recognition to it and where it comes from. That is disrespectfull.

Vietnam is close to the Philippines on the map in the same way the USA is close to Russia on the map.

Good your taking from other systems. Sad you have to lie about it. Even sadder that you don't even know the difference between them and and know very little about the arts your taking from.

I suggest your instructors stop learning from videos and actually go and learn from people in the arts your using and taking from because at the moment your doing it badly and your totally misunderstanding what it is your doing.

Not your fault after all I am sure you believe your instructors can do no wrong. But looking at the videos you have posted all I can say is please don't get in a real confrontation and certainly don't go up against the systems you claim to take from because they will be all over you like a rash.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  13. Pat OMalley

As for the 3 videos.
    The first looked like she was trying to get rid of Mosquitos. All 3 three. Balance was wrong. Application wrong. Mechanics wrong. Go up against any half decent weapons student and they would be in a whole world of hurt.

14. Pat OMalley

15. Pat OMalley

And yes there some similarities between FMA empty hand trapping and WC. I train a lot of WC guys and any decent WC guy will tell you that the Drill you guys are claiming to be WC which is Hubud 2 the hands are moving the wrong way for WC. Similar in principle but also very different for different reasons.

16. realjanuary

realjanuary New Member

BackfistMonkey,
    regarding Hubud, aka Hubud-Lubud, let's look just at the name of the drill:

FMA
    Tagalog is a Filipino language.
    FMA practitioners often use Tagalog words to label their drills (Spannish is popular too).
    Hubud lubud is Tagalog for tie and untie, and is descriptive of the drill that many FMA groups called hubud.
    This imagery is consistent with other labels used in many FMAs, e.g. sinawali meaning to weave.
    Assesment: highly likely to be a label of FMA origin.

Wing Chun
    Wing Chun commonly uses Cantonese in it's labeling system (with many hand drills using x-sao meaning x-hand).
    Hubud does not contain the sao suffix that we would expect of WC.
    To my ear Hubud does not sound Cantonese, but without a proposed Cantonese writing of hubud I have little to go on in terms of what it could mean in Cantonese.
    Assesment: unlikely to be a Wing Chun label.

If the drill is a WC drill, which the FMA people have adopted and re-named, we should be able to find it in WC, with a WC label.
    Since the consensus is that Hubud a FMA term and more characteristic of FMA than WC training, then those proposing the WC-origin case have the burden of providing evidence to back up their claim.

*disclaimer: I have never practised Wing Chun, have only a smattering of FMA training, and low level google-fu*

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Dear god that stuff is so Kandy Pants it should be sponsored by Dale Winton. Why teach what you don't know? Do what I do, start a study group and then you are atleast being honest. Then we go out and test our stuff to ensure it actually works and we aren't being delusional.

The Bear.

18. Pat OMalley

Simple solution too this conundrum.

Monkeywrench go find some proper Wing Chun footage that shows this drill being used and labled as a WC drill and its applications.

Now show me which system/style of Kung Fu or Viet Vo Dao that your double and single Tambo comes from. Authentic footage not the bad attempt at it footage your group is spewing out.

Evidance is needed. If you have none then its clear that the smoke has been well and truly blown up the rectum on this one.

19. monkeywrench

Those links all take me to the same place, and that place has no Arnis vids. I checked them in another browser as well.

As is my way, I plan on checking this out further. I probably should have mentioned initially that I only heard one person call the Hubud drill by that name...that I recall. Since, as you point out, the word Hubud itself is from FMA I'll see what I can do to get the proper attribution going if that is what is needed.

Thank you very much for your respectful comments. I present your post as a model for "how it's done."

20. monkeywrench

I will say this plainly.

I will not be replying to your postings any further if this is the best you can do respect wise.

Simple as that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.