Looking for any Kuk Sool practitioners north of Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by JKN-Pellegrini, Apr 19, 2013.

1. JKN-Pellegrini

JKN-Pellegrini Valued Member

This is a bit of a message in a bottle.
    Almost 10 years ago, I moved from Kansas to the Philadelphia PA/Trenton NJ area and have effectively not been able to practice Kuk Sool since.
    I tried going up to NYC once, and had a good time in a welcoming club (which has since split from Kuk Sool Won), but the truth is it was just too far from me to attend in any regular fashion.
    I have since heard of a KSW school in Wilmington, DE, which I'm hoping to check out and join, but sadly it, too, is much too far from me to attend regularly (I live in Bucks county, PA, by the Delaware river; almost into Jersey).

Is there ANYBODY here who is a Kuk Sool student, of any level, who lives anywhere nearby and would like to practice together? KSW policy severely limits who I can practice with, especially since I earned my black belt, and I really want to get back into regular practice. I'm hoping someone else might be in Philly or otherwise nearby in Jersey, and maybe we could practice together and perhaps car pool to the school once a week on weekends, or something along those lines.

So, anyway... If you or someone you know who practice or have practiced KSW live near north Philly, Bucks county PA, or central Jersey, and are Kuk Sool students, please send me an email or PM.

Best regards,

JKN Pellegrini

2. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I hope you find someone, I've been in the same boat out here in Vegas.

3. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Hello JKN, I am probably the closest school to you at this time, I don't know how active the Delaware Master is as I've never seen him at a KSW function or any of his students for that matter. It's unfortunate as he is a high level Master 7th I think. I don't know if you would want to travel to my school but I would help you out at no charge if you wanted to travel a couple times a month. If you can PM me (you may need to have 25 posts on the form before you can PM) I would give you details of where I'm located. I wish there was a school in the Philly area as I have a student moving there soon, noone you would want to train with...six year old white belt...but the parents really like what we teach and want him to continue.

4. JKN-Pellegrini

Hello Obewan, and thank you very much for your reply. I will send you a PM as soon as the system allows me, to discuss further.
    Best regards,

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you want to e-mail me your details (e-mail address etc) I can then PM them to Obewan.

If you click on my username there is a "send e-mail to Simon" link.

6. JKN-Pellegrini

Thank you, Simon. Will do.

Best regards.

7. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

I am in a similar boat here in the Pittsburgh area, though I am also sorely out of practice having stopped Kuk Sool training in 2000 or so.

Recently started at a TKD school with my boys but still deeply miss the Kuk Sool world. Good luck!!

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

The good news...I'm about the same distance from Pittsburg, and Philadelphia, The bad news...it's about a six hour drive from each. But my offer still stands, if I can help out by at least offering myself as an instructor, I'll do it at no cost. I just don't see you traveling that far, dang!

9. CriticalDog

I may surprise you, sir. I will pm you later today.

:)

10. JKN-Pellegrini

I figured I'd add a little to this, since I tried calling master Sung Gu Yea yesterday. His school has closed; his contract/lease for the dojang was up and he decided to not renew. He is considering re-opening at a different location, but "not soon." He was very kind and took down my contact info to let me know if he re-opens a school.

Here's hoping...

Obewan, I'll be sending you a PM soon. Thanks again,

JKN Pellegrini

11. CriticalDog

JKN-Pellegrini, I may have a hookup in the Washington DC area, PM me. I can't say for sure, but I received a training offer from there that I am likely going to accept.

Not as generous Obewon's offer but good nonetheless.

12. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Hope that works out CD, I've just been so busy with everything this summer I wouldn't have had the time to help you out, sorry for that. Anyway if you can get back into training that would be great, and having JKN P. going as well would help, I'd like to see Kuk Sool Won spred more into the North East. Keep us posted on your progress.

13. CriticalDog

Thank you sir, I hope so as well. I'll be sure to keep folks posted on progress.

14. JKN-Pellegrini

PM sent, Critical Dog.

15. Maggie

Maggie Valued Member

Hi JKN,
    I am a first degree black belt in Kuk Sool, more than a few years out of practice.
    I live in NE Philadelphia, about 1.5 miles south of County Line Rd.
    If you are interested in getting together, let's talk.

16. CriticalDog

What an awesome opportunity, I hope OP can hook up with Maggie!

17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Phrasing!!!

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

We have a 2nd degree in Philly who recently located there, let me know if anyone is interested. Perhaps there is an opportunity to get something going.

19. Little Robin

Little Robin Valued Member

Kwan Jang Nim Kevin Janisse is now living in Warrington PA. Very knowledgeable and an absolute gentleman.

20. CriticalDog

Why aren't we doing phrasing anymore?