Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by cuongnhugirl, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Why are they Judo rather than another grappling art?

2. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Because those techniques are used in Judo. All of them.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And are also used in a plethora of other disciplines

He is not a good source of quality instructional info - end of discussion

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I'd put money on them being in something like Shuai jiao too and other systems.

Those types of techniques are in one of the systems I study and that predates Judo by some time.

I think you need to think a little deeper on this, take your time and make sure you know what's what.
    After all if you want to use his material it would probably be best for you to go in with a critical mind.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  5. cuongnhugirl

I'm not familair with Shuai Jiao.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

That is just a "Wrong" system :)

7. cuongnhugirl

I've never actually seen Wong box, but in his video on defending against the jab he bounces on the balls of his feet and steps off to his right to slip the right jab. Looks to me like he has some boxing training.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Your guesses certainly seems more reliable than talking to a real boxer about defending the jab.

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Those techniques are used in Shuai Chiao (Chinese wrestling) too. If someone trains CMA, it's very nature to include Chinese wrestling.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q49D-jDOgRU"]Shuai Jiao Tutorial ä¸*國å¼æ‘”跤教å*¸ VOL 1 : Strength Building Exercises (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/8929/sc2cv.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img689/8172/sc1p.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img97/1756/chinesewrestling.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  10. cuongnhugirl

there is more than one way to defend against it. But I don't need to tell you that. After all you're a real boxer, a world champion and all that.

11. Hannibal

Where did he claim he was?

The problem is that you ask for advice and then don't take it - so why bother asking in the first place?

I'll repeat what everyone (myself included) has been telling you in the thread; Wong is NOT a source of good instruction.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day so don't use one example to justify why you think he offers good advice. If you want to learn boxing go to a boxing coach; Judo a Judo coach and JKD a JKD coach....he is none of these

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

do you ever read what you're about to post before you post it?

13. cuongnhugirl

How do you know if i'm taking it or not? You don't know what I've decided and what I haven't.

14. Hannibal

I extrapolate from your responses - and the fact you keep defending his videos.

Why the petulance?

15. cuongnhugirl

All I was saying is that it looks like he has some boxing training since he has the footwork down. he knows to bounce on the balls of his feet and step off. Maybe he has only basic training in boxing, I don't know.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What I think is setting people off is that you've asked for feedback but seem very dismissive of what's being said.

For instance, boxers don't typically bounce on the balls of their feet. Similar problem when the topic of judo came up. You seemed to dismiss any other possibility than judo because those moves exist in judo. Now, if you're vested in the idea that Wong has training in judo and boxing, it really doesn't matter much what anyone else says. But that being the case, why ask at all?

17. cuongnhugirl

In my experience you bounce on the balls of your feet, not your toes. That's what I was taught. When did I dismiss any possibility other than Judo? All I said is that i'm unfamiliar with the Chinese wrestling style. there are very many styles. I can't know all of them.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You move on the balls of your feet not bounce.

19. cuongnhugirl

I call it bouncing.

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

See, that's why you shouldn't take advice from me about boxing, because I'm a shih tzu puppy boxer. The reason you shouldn't take advice from Wong about boxing is because the only reason you think he's a boxer is his bouncing. There are plenty of real boxers who have filmed competition experience of defending the jab and will tell you how to do it on video.