Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by cuongnhugirl, Feb 4, 2013.

1. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

In Cuong Nhu you earn the title Master when you earn your sixth dan. I'm assuming most other styles have a smililair requirement.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Don't put too much stock in the title "master." It doesn't carry any inherent value.

3. JKDbyNik

JKDbyNik Valued Member

I've watched a lot of Master Wong's vids....and he absolutely gets the deep belly laugh from me. But to use them for instructional purpose....eh, I don't think so. If you're looking to get a grasp of JKD you have to get away from the comdedy show and watch guys like Guru Dan (of course), Tim Tackett, Roy Harris, Paul Vunak and other men who are known in the JKD community. That being said...I wouldn't just walk away from Wong's vids because I am sure there is some decent info behind the circus act. And I believe in learning something from everyone.

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Masters whom claim themselves as this are sometimes legends in their own mind

5. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Unfortunately, most Chinese arts do not have a strict objective requirement for the title "master", partly because most do not have ranking systems. From my own experience in Wing Chun I will say that I'm not impressed by Master Wong. There are better sources of material out there for Wing Chun, and I'm sure that Hannibal can recommend some JKD materials given his experience in JKD.

6. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

What is it about it that leaves you unimpressed? What would you recomend as Wing Chun sources?

7. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

I'm posting a link to the video here for other, more experienced Wing Chun people, to see.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb387FqpRkE"]Master Wong - Wing Chun Chum Kiu Part 03 - YouTube[/ame]

To me, his stances are too wide and his motions are far too jerky and rigid, and at the beginning he seems to have included parts from Bil Jee and at the end he has something that is from Sil Lim Tao, not Chum Kiu.

I realize that there are some differences in different lineages, but even though my lineage does not trace back to Yip Man, I can look at the famous Yip Man footage doing the forms and I don't see any real surprises. Master Wong's forms, to me, are so different that I wonder where his lineage branches off from mine to account for the differences. I don't know what else it is, but it just seems "wrong" to me. I will freely admit that my own experience with Wing Chun is somewhat limited, but I come from a well-known and respected lineage so I think that what I'm being taught is valid. I realize there are differences between lineages in any style, but some of Master Wong's differences seem to violate the principles, concepts, and theories of Wing Chun as I understand them.

I'm having a hard time finding anything at the basic level on Youtube or anything else free that actually explains what is happening instead of simply showing a video (like the Yip Man videos). I will keep looking and I will ask my Sifu if he can recommend anything.

Please, other Wing Chun people comment and help cuongnhugirl.

8. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I like Wongtv stuff, but the Wing Chun is fma mixed, and the "jkd" is a mix of Cheng style tai chi and some other arts. Nothing that is really JKD.

9. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

For wing chun, i highly recommend anything from Francis Fong, Samuel Kwok, Gary Lam, and Randy Williams.

10. ned

ned Valued Member

what did people do before youtube? :rolleyes:
    If you have'nt learnt first from a good instructor these videos probably
    do more harm than good

11. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Conversely, not everyone has the money time to go to formal classes on a regular basis. Videos can supplement a persons training very well.

12. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Evan Taner, ufc fighter (the one who died in the desert), learned BJJ from videos. But he had a strong wrestling background.

Some other people, such as me, need an instructor to learn something. Videos are ok to go over stuff you already know, but that's it.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd be very surprised to learn that Wong had any background in FMA. Have you seen that somewhere?

14. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Watch his Wing Chun dvds and you will see him teach Guntings, Hubad, and destrutions. There is NO Wing Chun that does hubad.

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

as with the majority of books and vids

16. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Master Wong calls the Hubad from the Chung Choi "Punch Drill."

17. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXIalLWLzyo&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Wing Chun Lesson 24: basic energy drill/ punch drill - YouTube[/ame]

I like his videos as a i said, i just see that his Wing Chun has some fma work in the dvds.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think that is more "pick and mix" than actual FMA training

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As an example of JKD training (with heavy WC influence) here is Guro Dan performing basic chi sao

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcLZHpB2Pj8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcLZHpB2Pj8[/ame]

Words cannot express how awestruck I am every time I see him move...breathtakingly smooth

20. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

As i said, his Wing Chun has some FMA in it.
    There is even some single stick. I bought a few DVDs from ebay for dirt cheap.